Sax on the Web Forum banner

Are they just a gimmick?

19K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  BuescherFan 
#1 ·
Besides the Whales, I know of no one else who uses a Contrabass, or a Tubax for that matter. (seriously. where in a score would it call for tones beyond the lowest notes on a piano. Yes, i am talking to you, Mr. Subcontrabass tubax.) I think these things were built just for sheer 'WOW' factor to see a man, dwarfed by these instruments, play them. And these horns are much too expensive for the masses. That has always been the case for anything below a bari; you need a second mortgage buy own one of these horns. Can anyone give me any examples on where these horns are used, besides the Nuclear Whales and, apparently, Uwe Ladwig's Dixieman Four?

Much appriciated,
Action

#2 ·
Need a musician limit himself to a piano's range. One could say that any instrument is a gimmick for making noise, musicians will find a reason to develop those sounds into music. If no-one made a contra bass there would be no-one experimenting with these low notes.
I find soprannino's gimmicky and annoying but not the low saxes.

#3 ·
Ick. Soprillos. They make me wanna rip my hair out. So it is just a matter of time before some big-shot composer comes around, uses a contrabass, and everyone goes nuts for it? Soon they are making student-models that Joe-shmo can afford. I see. But some of those sounds of a subcontra are almost inaudible, and quite frankly don't sound too good. If someone can master the range, and be able to play it effortlessly, and make it sound good then I shall be impressed. (of course, all of that about me thinking that extreme range sounds horrible is just my opinion. ^_^)

#5 ·
averageschmoe said:
double bass parts tend to get a bit low for bass sax. the horns are rare and only really practical in saxophone ensembles playing orchestral transcriptions.
It might be fun to have a contrabass filling in for a contrabassoon in wind ensembles, and it would probably sound better...

#7 ·
I am all for Bass saxes getting more play, whether the contra Bass sax can be used effectively is another story. Expense and the wind it takes to play certainly limits its use. Plus, recording the nuances of beastly large low wood winds seems empty when I have ever heard it; in comparison to the big low room filling subterranean moan of live performances.
Perhaps the advancements Benedikt Eppelsheim has included in his interpretation of the saxophone, may intrege more artists to play and perform on these low noters and increase their acceptance to the ear.
Wouldn't it be something if sax choirs would become the rage again.
To me there is a certain grit and sweetness that saxes of all sizes are more capable of than other horns.

#8 ·
acti0n_jacks0n said:
Ick. Soprillos. They make me wanna rip my hair out. So it is just a matter of time before some big-shot composer comes around, uses a contrabass, and everyone goes nuts for it? Soon they are making student-models that Joe-shmo can afford. I see. But some of those sounds of a subcontra are almost inaudible, and quite frankly don't sound too good. If someone can master the range, and be able to play it effortlessly, and make it sound good then I shall be impressed. (of course, all of that about me thinking that extreme range sounds horrible is just my opinion. ^_^)
I don't think your average student would be able to get a peep outta a Contrabass Sax. Especially when there's a bit of struggle when playing Bari when the only thing you've played is Alto. By the way, I appreciate all the saxes.

#12 ·
The first time I ever saw a Bass Saxophone in popular music was in the Paul McCartney music video "Coming Up," as part of a 5 saxophone section. Did not know they existed until then. That video caught my attention because everyone in the group was Paul McCartney! Awesome music video production, IMO, before MTV.

#15 ·
Cannonball&CmelGuy said:
I'm glad someone agrees with me! I wonder if any of the regular big guys with all of the (regular) sizes could do that. Or we could e-mail Jay Easton.
I have this pic with this sequence:

Nino, soprano, alto, tenor, tenor, tenor, baritone and contrabass.

Is that what you want?I don't have pics of reeds....

#17 ·
There's an older Bud Shank album...studio recording, sax ensemble...wherein the contrabass (and bass) sax is shown on the album cover..front/rear...and is played and recorded in performance. Bell about the size of a large pizza.:shock:

#19 ·
I think that the best use of the really big saxophones is in a large saxophone ensemble. Quartets are becoming common, and sextets need a bass. Add a couple of saxophones, and a contrabass becomes an asset

The biggest problem is getting the ensemble in tune. The best example I ever heard was REEDS AND PERCUSSION, an old stereo demo record on the Command label. It had 8 saxes and a rhythm section, including a bass sax. The players were all top new York studio artists. Perfect intonation, matched vibrato - it's a shame the record is out of print.

#20 ·
There are many recordings of both Anthony Braxton and Vinny Golia playing contrabass. I seem to recall a version of Warne Marsh's Marshmallow on the contra. It's... interesting. Vinny Golia lives in your neck of the woods. You should check out some of his gigs and ask him about it. http://www.vinnygolia.com/ (Is that a Tubax he's holding?)
I was lucky enough to play bass sax in school on some Percy Grainger pieces. Would love to add one of those to my collection! Contrabass I can live without.

#28 ·
BTW, I've always wanted to put a really small mouthpiece in a really big one and try to play it like that.
I've stuck my soprano mouthpiece in the end of my bari mouthpiece and tried to play it. Nope, nothing but squeaks. On my bass however, I can get it to play.
On a similar note: I played my C mel with a bari mouthpiece over the C melody mouthpiece. Took a while, but I finally got a reed to vibrate. I used my hands to cover any leaks.

#24 ·
I have access to an old Conn bass. I play it with a bari mouthpiece. Brightens the tone up a bit, and makes it easier to articulate. I bet playing contra with a bass mouthpiece would do the same, but using anything smaller than one sax size below would probably sound terrible.

On the other hand, once I tried to put my alto mouthpiece on my tenor... garbage.

#25 ·
Chinese bass saxophones are now affordable by the masses. The tuba parts of some good brass quartet music are too low for transposition to a bari sax part in a sax quartet but a bass sax handles them nicely. However I do share your opinion on saxes lower than bass saxes. The contras are probably good for sound effects ins spooky Hollywood movies.

#26 ·
The new contrabass saxes by Eppelsheim (Tubax and conventional contrabass) are both fantastic instruments. Although many contrabass sax recordings currently available are not much more than grunts and honks, the Eppelsheim instruments have superb intonation, very fast keywork, and they are easier to play than any previous contrabass sax. I think any good tenor or baritone player would sound good on a Tubax in an hour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.