Could someone explain to me why a Mark VI is such a great horn? - Page 8

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 198
  1. #141

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    No. California
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could someone explain to me why a Mark VI is such a great horn?

    I was hoping to get more knowledge of this. When I spoke to David Kessler of Kessler & Sons he said something about the reason that some Mark VI's are better than others. My recollection and understanding is that he said Selmer Paris had quality control issues with the filing of tone holes. Anyone know more?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #142
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Dr G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    29,094
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could someone explain to me why a Mark VI is such a great horn?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sax Student View Post
    I was hoping to get more knowledge of this. When I spoke to David Kessler of Kessler & Sons he said something about the reason that some Mark VI's are better than others. My recollection and understanding is that he said Selmer Paris had quality control issues with the filing of tone holes. Anyone know more?
    You should call Kessler for clarification of what David said, rather than derailing this thread.

    Get details of what he was talking about - Mk VI vs modern horns, etc.
    Go for The Tone,

    g



    "When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

    As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

  4. #143
    Forum Contributor 2016 musekatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    heart of dixie
    Posts
    1,272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could someone explain to me why a Mark VI is such a great horn?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
    You should call Kessler for clarification of what David said, rather than derailing this thread.
    I thought the very title derails the thread, the hypothesis, itself...
    Best, Jim

  5. #144
    SOTW Columnist
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    JL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    20,535
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could someone explain to me why a Mark VI is such a great horn?

    Quote Originally Posted by musekatcher View Post
    I thought the very title derails the thread, the hypothesis, itself...
    What hypothesis? That the MKVI is a great horn? I don't think there is any disputing that. Where the controversy lies is whether or not it's the best horn. And that's a very arguable proposition. It's too subjective to prove either way.

  6. #145
    Distinguished SOTW Member Mike F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    2,253
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could someone explain to me why a Mark VI is such a great horn?

    Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    ......... It's too subjective to prove either way.
    But it's sooooooo much fun talking endlessly about it - so it seems!

  7. #146
    Forum Contributor 2012-2015 wagtenor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could someone explain to me why a Mark VI is such a great horn?

    The Selmer Reference 54 is much better than an old grade school band saxophone refereed to as Mark 6.

    The Selmer Reference 54 tenor is especially nice.
    “Do or do not... there is no try.” - Yoda

  8. #147
    Forum Contributor 2016 musekatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    heart of dixie
    Posts
    1,272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could someone explain to me why a Mark VI is such a great horn?

    Quote Originally Posted by wagtenor View Post
    The Selmer Reference 54 is much better than an old grade school band saxophone refereed to as Mark 6.

    The Selmer Reference 54 tenor is especially nice.
    Funny, I feel like music, musicians, and saxophonist in particular were superior in every way when I was in grade school. I guess they didn't know what they were missing
    Best, Jim

  9. #148
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Sigmund451's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    France
    Posts
    10,787
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could someone explain to me why a Mark VI is such a great horn?

    Takes all sorts but I tried everything to like the 54 tenor...different necks, different materials, different mouthpieces.

    It still sounded synthetic to me.

    Too controlled, too locked in, like a recording of a VI...not a VI.

    I cant think of a better way to explain it. Its a well made horn...nothing wrong with it except if left me cold.
    Phil-Tone Custom Woodwinds
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

    www.Phil-Tone.com


  10. #149
    Administrator Pete Thomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The Blue Ridge Mountains
    Posts
    24,719
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could someone explain to me why a Mark VI is such a great horn?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund451 View Post

    Too controlled, too locked in, like a recording of a VI...not a VI.
    If my MKVI had sounded controlled and locked in, like a recording, I would have kept it
    TamingTheSaxophone.com saxophone website & tutorials
    Tone Without Tears: how to practise long notes without getting bored | IMPRO FOR BEGINNERS |DVD & TUTORIALS | BACKING TRACKS | AUDIO



  11. #150
    nvilletele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    524
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could someone explain to me why a Mark VI is such a great horn?

    My feelings about the Mark VI emanate solely from the sour grapes analysis.

    I don't have one, so it must not be as good as (most) everyone says. It may be a good horn, but I must conclude its greatness is highly exaggerated.

    Oh, and I've never really had an opportunity to try one either.

    So I'm just gonna believe it's not as great as reputed. Until I get one someday.
    Tenor: Yamaha YTS-82z, with V1 Sterling Silver Neck; Yanagisawa T901
    Alto: Yanagisawa A901; Buescher Aristocrat Series 1 (1939~40)
    Soprano: Buescher True-Tone (1924)

  12. #151
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Sigmund451's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    France
    Posts
    10,787
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could someone explain to me why a Mark VI is such a great horn?

    Good strategy.

    There are a lot of good horns out there...and that is an understatement.
    Phil-Tone Custom Woodwinds
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

    www.Phil-Tone.com


  13. #152
    Distinguished SOTW Member Dave Pollack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    1,754
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could someone explain to me why a Mark VI is such a great horn?

    Maybe I should sell mine and just get a YAS23...

    NEW YOUTUBE VIDEOS EACH WEEK!!
    Make Jazz Fun Again hats for sale- message me! | Website | Instagram |

  14. #153
    ArnoG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ellington ct
    Posts
    106
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could someone explain to me why a Mark VI is such a great horn?

    i brought my sax teacher three tenors he picked up the first one and said this is the one
    last of the 1960 horns 350 bucks and another 350 20 years ago to O/H
    played a lot of other horns selmers mine works well for me my teacher also knew OTTO and i picked best of 6 links $35.00
    should have bought them all as mine was stolen in Korea

  15. #154
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Sigmund451's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    France
    Posts
    10,787
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could someone explain to me why a Mark VI is such a great horn?

    That was a chunk of change in 1960

    That is about 3000 bucks in todays coin

    ...but id buy a vi for 3k
    Phil-Tone Custom Woodwinds
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

    www.Phil-Tone.com


  16. #155
    nvilletele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    524
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could someone explain to me why a Mark VI is such a great horn?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund451 View Post
    That was a chunk of change in 1960

    That is about 3000 bucks in todays coin

    ...but id buy a vi for 3k
    There's a serie III tenor I was looking at for 3K . . . but while I expected that was a pretty good price, not so amazing as to make me want to part with so much coin. Yes, for a Mark V! maybe . . . .
    Oh, there's also a Mark VI sop I was looking at for $2500 . . . . hmmmm. [Must resist, must resist . . .]
    Tenor: Yamaha YTS-82z, with V1 Sterling Silver Neck; Yanagisawa T901
    Alto: Yanagisawa A901; Buescher Aristocrat Series 1 (1939~40)
    Soprano: Buescher True-Tone (1924)

  17. #156
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Dr G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    29,094
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could someone explain to me why a Mark VI is such a great horn?

    Quote Originally Posted by nvilletele View Post
    There's a serie III tenor I was looking at for 3K . . . but while I expected that was a pretty good price, not so amazing as to make me want to part with so much coin. Yes, for a Mark V! maybe . . . .
    Oh, there's also a Mark VI sop I was looking at for $2500 . . . . hmmmm. [Must resist, must resist . . .]
    A Serie III is a good tenor - and $3k is a fair price for one in decent condition. That same $3k might net you a Mk VI, but it would likely need another kilodollar of attention to play well.

    Sheesh, I just glanced at your sig line. You don't NEED any horns!
    Go for The Tone,

    g



    "When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

    As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

  18. #157
    nvilletele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    524
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could someone explain to me why a Mark VI is such a great horn?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
    A Serie III is a good tenor - and $3k is a fair price for one in decent condition. That same $3k might net you a Mk VI, but it would likely need another kilodollar of attention to play well.

    Sheesh, I just glanced at your sig line. You don't NEED any horns!
    Right, and I am not looking to buy any. But that doesn't stop me from looking at what's on Craigslist now and then. Almost bought a Yani stencil Bari for $1500 but good sense (and lack of space) got the better of me.
    What can I say, it's hard to resist a good deal . . . . though sometimes I do.

    Still, always best to remember that "Just because you have G.A.S. doesn't mean that you need that gear" as well as "Just because I don't need that gear doesn't mean I won't feel a need to buy it."

    Re my sig line, it's missing my Big B . . . will have to get around to fixing that sometime.
    Tenor: Yamaha YTS-82z, with V1 Sterling Silver Neck; Yanagisawa T901
    Alto: Yanagisawa A901; Buescher Aristocrat Series 1 (1939~40)
    Soprano: Buescher True-Tone (1924)

  19. #158
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Dr G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    29,094
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could someone explain to me why a Mark VI is such a great horn?

    Quote Originally Posted by nvilletele View Post
    Right, and I am not looking to buy any. But that doesn't stop me from looking at what's on Craigslist now and then. Almost bought a Yani stencil Bari for $1500 but good sense (and lack of space) got the better of me.
    What can I say, it's hard to resist a good deal . . . . though sometimes I do.

    Still, always best to remember that "Just because you have G.A.S. doesn't mean that you need that gear" as well as "Just because I don't need that gear doesn't mean I won't feel a need to buy it."

    Re my sig line, it's missing my Big B . . . will have to get around to fixing that sometime.
    I apologize if you thought that I was suggesting that you shouldn't buy something. I'm all for that (heck, I was up to six tenors last year, but I got over it). We've all got to do our part for supporting the economy.

    Rather I was complementing your existing collection of instruments - you've got some nice horns. Congrats!
    Go for The Tone,

    g



    "When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

    As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

  20. #159
    musikyo
    Guest

    Default Re: Could someone explain to me why a Mark VI is such a great horn?

    Greatness is difficult to analyze, but easy to hear.

  21. #160
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2007-2013
    Enviroguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    5,519
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could someone explain to me why a Mark VI is such a great horn?

    The Mark VI was, and sometimes still is, played by great players. And that's the only thing that makes any saxophone great.
    Good Luck,

    Enviroguy
    _____________________________________________
    Buescher 400 Tenor, Pre-War Big-B Aristocrat Tenor, True Tone Alto, Conn New Wonder Bari, Antigua 590 Soprano

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •