Tenor Mouthpiece Website - Page 47

Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 LastLast
    Forum Contributor 2016
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tenor Mouthpiece Website

Quote Originally Posted by Frankmsax View Post
    Steve, have you had the chance to play a saxscape uptown live tenor piece yet (the one Danny Walsh has been playing).Danny sounds killer on it but he (as do you) sound great on just about anything. I too still feel it is more about the player etc. Danny was a long time Link player and switched to the saxscape . Now ,just my 2 cents regarding tips ,baffles etc. I think everything and everyone is different , depending upon embouchure etc.
    I rediscovered a Vandoren Jumbo java T75 and have been playing around with different reeds (another factor in the equation) You would think because of the high baffle and smaller tip that a larger tip would play less bright. I don't feel this is necessarily true. My RPC115b is way brighter and louder when I hear it recorded back . The RPC will peel paint off the walls with all the loud guitar guys but I think I favor the TONE of the Vandoren, this is just me , as I said , all subjective. I have tried playing Links and Link like pieces in these Loud venues and usually can't get them to work for me although the tone is great. Having said that , I heard Danny play in a loud venue on his saxscape and he was killing on it, so Steve I think you should try this piece out.
    I actually haven't tried that one. I reached out to Ken Barry maybe a year ago and asked if I could review it. He said I could but I never heard more about it after that.............Danny sounds great on his!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I heard Danny last a few months back and talked to him, he said the mouthpiece is very Link like yet more freeblowing. Steve, I would love to hear your feedback on one if you ever get to try one.

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Frankmsax View Post
    JL, I was trying to support your post and emphasize that "all other things being equal" , yes a larger tip will usually darken the tone. It is funny how my 110b is darker than my 115b because that is how Ron made it when I talked to him, he is great and will talk to you about everything you want.
    Yeah, I'm with you on that. Ron's pieces are definitely custom made and he's good at giving you what you ask for, assuming you can explain it to him. I think he does some different things with the baffles, depending on what you're looking for. He made me a 120B with a step baffle that will blow the walls down; it has a lot of edge when pushed. A couple of years later he made me another 120B with a more rounded baffle, with a slight 'bullet' cut out. That one is almost as powerful, but considerably warmer/darker. So a lot of it has to do with the baffle.

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    Yeah, I'm with you on that. Ron's pieces are definitely custom made and he's good at giving you what you ask for, assuming you can explain it to him. I think he does some different things with the baffles, depending on what you're looking for. He made me a 120B with a step baffle that will blow the walls down; it has a lot of edge when pushed. A couple of years later he made me another 120B with a more rounded baffle, with a slight 'bullet' cut out. That one is almost as powerful, but considerably warmer/darker. So a lot of it has to do with the baffle.
    Yeah, now that you mention it, I've played RPC's with a few different baffle profiles over the years.........

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting and revealing article Steve! Thanks for sharing it. I think the conclusion is he played a variety of mpcs and still sounded like Michael Brecker. Many of the differences in those Guardala mpcs would seem to be down to the baffle (and possibly different tip sizes), which makes a similar point to what I said about the RPC variations.

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Posted a new review and clip of the Attisound "Black Mamba" tenor mouthpiece today. High baffle small chamber mouthpiece.
    http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2017/0...hpiece-review/

It is interesting to me though because my room in this new house is so dry that there is no natural reverb. For example if you compare these two clips you can here the difference just the room makes is huge!

Black Mamba

Pilgrimage

That difference in room sound always bugs me..........People here one and they think it is so much fatter than another but it's all the room............Oh well, life goes on..........

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right on the heels of the brass Black Mamba by Attisound review, here is the review of the black aluminum Black Mamba for comparison if you are so interested. Both mouthpieces look the same to my eye design wise but the black aluminum was much lighter than the brass. I thought the aluminum was darker and less edgy to my ears. The material? Who knows...........13 reviews to go...........

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's another Attisound tenor saxophone mouthpiece sent to me from Italy that I am reviewing today. It is the Python model. Great playing high baffle mouthpiece with loads of volume and power when pushed. I tried to show a range of what it could do in the clips. http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2017/0...hpiece-review/

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Posted a new review and sound clip of the metal Rafael Navarro Bebop Special (I didn't even there was such a thing.........) I had a lot of fun with this one.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This sounds amazing! Did you get a chance to demo the Theo Slant Sig 2? Also, we need clips of the Sakshama Stubby, the 10mFan Merlot metal, and an A-B comparison of your authentic Double Ring Link with a Sakshama Double Ring. Thanks for all that you do, means a lot to a lot of people.

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DexterS123 View Post
    This sounds amazing! Did you get a chance to demo the Theo Slant Sig 2? Also, we need clips of the Sakshama Stubby, the 10mFan Merlot metal, and an A-B comparison of your authentic Double Ring Link with a Sakshama Double Ring. Thanks for all that you do, means a lot to a lot of people.
    I did demo the Theo Slant 2 but although it sounded good I was a bit low on energy. The next day when I listened to it just sounded like I was tired. I have to make a better clip..........I'll add those other pieces to my endless list of pieces everyone wants me to play.........the good news is my student offered to let me buy the Bebop Special so I think I'm going to add it to my collection of great pieces I have that I hardly ever play because I'm reviewing new pieces every week...............

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found a couple of old gig clips from 10 plus years ago that sounded ok so I put them up They are live so don't expect studio quality. The Use Me clip the band is messing around a bit more as bands tend to do live but I thought there was some nice moments. This is with my JVW link with a baffle in it. That was the mouthpiece I used on all pop stuff back then......... http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2017/0...from-the-past/

Distinguished SOTW Member Honeyboy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adding that baffle changes that Link sound considerably. Could have passed for a Berg.
    When facing our own mortality, all of a sudden those idols we valued so much are somehow put in a proper perspective and the truly valuable is revealed.
    11th Commandment: Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's axe.

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Honeyboy View Post
    Adding that baffle changes that Link sound considerably. Could have passed for a Berg.
    I agree, I love the change however. I have never been able to play links on those loud pop gigs except for an EB link I had that had the highest rollover baffle I had ever seen. I think it was brighter than even this JVW link. It killed on the loud stuff but was too bright on the jazz stuff for me. I guess it has the affect of turning the piece into something similar to whatever baffle you put in it. I've owned links with higher rollovers like this put in, berg baffles added, Guardala type baffles, etc..........

Distinguished SOTW Member Honeyboy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    I agree, I love the change however. I have never been able to play links on those loud pop gigs except for an EB link I had that had the highest rollover baffle I had ever seen. I think it was brighter than even this JVW link. It killed on the loud stuff but was too bright on the jazz stuff for me. I guess it has the affect of turning the piece into something similar to whatever baffle you put in it. I've owned links with higher rollovers like this put in, berg baffles added, Guardala type baffles, etc..........
    I like the sound as well. I once added a wax baffle to a NY STM 7* and recorded it on a CD. It had a nice modern bright tone with lots of bite and growl when needed. My usual leaning is towards the louder brighter yet not harsh sound- as on that nice SS 110 M2 Ponzol I bought from you. I still use it as my main piece on most of my playing as our worship team can be quite loud at times and I need to cut through. The comment about Bergs was kind of a tongue in cheek salute to Mr. Barone.
    When facing our own mortality, all of a sudden those idols we valued so much are somehow put in a proper perspective and the truly valuable is revealed.
    11th Commandment: Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's axe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds excellent! Definitely a stand-out clip amongst many great clips. I liked its versatility, its depth and character. Still waiting to hear you on a metal Merlot and Sakshama Stubby.