Index of classical mouthpieces - Page 9

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would tend to agree with a Rascher-style (such as Caravan w/ Rovner Eddie Daniels lig) setup for a Keilwerth instrument. Those saxos feel so free-blowing, that I would probably gravitate toward a large chamber/close facing mpc with a harder reed to make the equation work out.

That's just me, though. I have a student who basically gets what he needs from a Selmer LT on his Keilwerth tenor and Rovner lig.

All this is pretty much splitting hairs....

But I like it!

Angel
    Concert Saxophonist ~ Artisan Barman
    YSS875EXHGLAS • SG2RS • S27 • M/O • 4
    YAS875EXS • AV1AG • A28 • M/O • 3

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Angel
    I would tend to agree with a Rascher-style (such as Caravan w/ Rovner Eddie Daniels lig) setup for a Keilwerth instrument. Those saxos feel so free-blowing, that I would probably gravitate toward a large chamber/close facing mpc with a harder reed to make the equation work out.

That's just me, though. I have a student who basically gets what he needs from a Selmer LT on his Keilwerth tenor and Rovner lig.

All this is pretty much splitting hairs....

But I like it!

Angel
    I agree with Angel. Morgans are another good choice for Keilwerths...

I really need to try one of the new Ridenours...it's another piece in the Caravan mode...
    Current setups:
    Yamaha YSS-875EX, Selmer Soloist C**, Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Yamaha YAS-875EXS, Rousseau RC4 (refaced by Brian Powell), Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Yamaha YTS-875EX, Rousseau NC4, Ishimori lig, Hemke 3.5
    Kessler Solist Bari, Rousseau NC4, BG Tradition lig, Hemke 3.5

Seeker Of A Clever Title. zxcvbnm's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This really needs to be stickied...
    Buescher curved soprano silver plate high F/Jicaino custom large chamber sop piece
    Buescher Aristocrat 140 silver plate /Jicaino refaced Buescher piece

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Morgans & Caravans

Thank you to all who have posted recommendations and comments. I have a question with regard to the Caravans and Morgans...

Though I've known about them, I've never really spent time with either because I understood them to be Rascher-like mouthpieces. In my experience, Rascher mouthpieces produce a different kind of sound than what I strive for being trained in the Larry Teal French-American tradition.

While my experience with a Rascher is limited, I did spend some time with one a while back. I had a student come into my studio playing one (on a Yamaha) and, even after trying it out myself with various reed strengths for about a week or so, couldn't get used to the sound it produced, hers or mine. Nothing wrong with it, just not the tone concept I was taught or teach.

What initially caught my eye on this thread was J. Max's posting of "French Style" mouthpieces which I took to mean French sound mouthpieces, perhaps incorrectly. I was under the impression that the Caravans and Morgans were NOT in this "tone concept" tradition. Is this notion incorrect?

Taking into account Keilwerth instrument architectural differences, and before I begin the trial process of yet another mouthpiece, I'd be interested to hear educated guesses on the kind of sound, or sound tradition (person) I might expect from a Caravan or Morgan/Keilwerth alto combination.

Comments are much appreciated. This is a great resource, btw.

L.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pardon my ignorance...

Quote Originally Posted by zxcvbnm
    This really needs to be stickied...
    What does this mean?

L.

Forum Administrator and Contributor 2009 drakesaxprof's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lemuelbardeguez
    Taking into account Keilwerth instrument architectural differences, and before I begin the trial process of yet another mouthpiece, I'd be interested to hear educated guesses on the kind of sound, or sound tradition (person) I might expect from a Caravan or Morgan/Keilwerth alto combination.

Comments are much appreciated. This is a great resource, btw.

L.
    I don't have experience with either on alto, but my experience with Morgans on tenor is that they are very flexible, and occupy a middle ground between the focus of the Selmer/Vandoren mpcs on the one hand, and Rascher/Buescher/etc. mpcs on the other. My 3C and 6C tenors have quite large chambers, but are neither tubby nor unfocused--both have a great deal of tonal clarity. I've been curious about Caravans, but have never gotten around to trying them.
    I lean and loafe at my ease, observing a spear of summer grass. - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
    jimromainmusic.com
    oasisquartet.com

I am a Conn-Selmer and D'Addario artist, and Membership Director for the North American Saxophone Alliance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yay this legendary thread is finally stickied THANKS Dr. Romain

"He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Distinguished Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drakesaxprof
    I don't have experience with either on alto, but my experience with Morgans on tenor is that they are very flexible, and occupy a middle ground between the focus of the Selmer/Vandoren mpcs on the one hand, and Rascher/Buescher/etc. mpcs on the other. My 3C and 6C tenors have quite large chambers, but are neither tubby nor unfocused--both have a great deal of tonal clarity. I've been curious about Caravans, but have never gotten around to trying them.
    That's dead on...I think that they (Morgans) can be played in either style. Caravans are darker and much more resistant. And yes, Caravans and Rascher pieces are (obviously) in the Rascher tradition, although there are some French/American players (most notably Steven Mauk) play Caravans on soprano.

And thanks for stickying this thread!
    Current setups:
    Yamaha YAS-875EXS, Rousseau RC4 (refaced by Brian Powell), Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5

Distinguished SOTW Member Martinman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J.Max
    That's dead on...I think that they (Morgans) can be played in either style. Caravans are darker and much more resistant. And yes, Caravans and Rascher pieces are (obviously) in the Rascher tradition, although there are some French/American players (most notably Steven Mauk) play Caravans on soprano.

And thanks for stickying this thread!

According to the liner notes of the Mauk album I have he played one on alto too, although I don't know if he still does or not.
    "Martin owners just change the freakin' bulb and get the job done." - MartinMusicMan

Forum Administrator and Contributor 2009 drakesaxprof's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLight
    yay this legendary thread is finally stickied THANKS Dr. Romain
    Well, I can't take credit...must've been another intreped moderator.
    I lean and loafe at my ease, observing a spear of summer grass. - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
    jimromainmusic.com
    oasisquartet.com

I am a Conn-Selmer and D'Addario artist, and Membership Director for the North American Saxophone Alliance.

Distinguished Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Martinman
    According to the liner notes of the Mauk album I have he played one on alto too, although I don't know if he still does or not.

That's interesting...the only album that I have of his is "Classical Bouquet" and he only plays soprano on it. He's had a lot of interesting equipment over the years though...at one time he played with Valentino synthetic pads on all of his horns.
    Current setups:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's interesting...the only album that I have of his is "Classical Bouquet" and he only plays soprano on it. He's had a lot of interesting equipment over the years though...at one time he played with Valentino synthetic pads on all of his horns.

I have his "Distances Within Me" album (I got it from someone on here) and some other cd my instructor burned for me (off of a record) that has Adagio et Rondo on it. I can't remember the name exactly though. I really like his sound though. Not to dark, not to bright.
    "Martin owners just change the freakin' bulb and get the job done." - MartinMusicMan

Distinguished Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Martinman
    I have his "Distances Within Me" album (I got it from someone on here) and some other cd my instructor burned for me (off of a record) that has Adagio et Rondo on it. I can't remember the name exactly though. I really like his sound though. Not to dark, not to bright.
    After I wrote that last night, I found that I have the "Distances Within Me" album too...and you're right, he's playing a Caravan with a Mark VII on that album. That's about as dark as you get in the American style! It really makes sense anyway for him to play Caravans - Mauk teaches at Ithaca, and Caravan at Syracuse. They're only about an hour away from each other or so.
    Current setups:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After I wrote that last night, I found that I have the "Distances Within Me" album too...and you're right, he's playing a Caravan with a Mark VII on that album. That's about as dark as you get in the American style! It really makes sense anyway for him to play Caravans - Mauk teaches at Ithaca, and Caravan at Syracuse. They're only about an hour away from each other or so.

I really don't think his sound is that dark. Darker than Rousseau certainly, but maybe about the same as Trent Kynaston.

If I had the extra cash I would be tempted to try one of these out, my alto plays very bright.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone try the old Buescher mouthpieces (the ones with the logo)? I think they make great classical pieces - quite dark and free-blowing. Plus they can be had quite cheaply - I picked one up for $36 last week!
    Zephyr

Distinguished Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSax
    Anyone try the old Buescher mouthpieces (the ones with the logo)? I think they make great classical pieces - quite dark and free-blowing. Plus they can be had quite cheaply - I picked one up for $36 last week!
    That's actually one of the preferred Rascher pieces - and what he played on himself. The Rascher mouthpiece is based on the Bueschers.
    Current setups:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello ,
    I'm a new member of this forum and play mainly classical tenor sax in a woodwind ensemble ; after trying different mpc's , the Morgan 3C became my first choice (almost French like , warmer than the S80 and with more projection ) ; my second choice is a otto link tone edge 6 , for more popular music .
    For alto , nobody talks about the Lebayle Classic mpc ! Last year we did a blind test with a lot of classical mpc's at the "saxophone winkel" and this mouthpiece was the absolute winner . A briljant tone and good projection . My daughter plays it and is very satisfied .
    Nobody here plays this mpc ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Caravan mouthpiece trial

Hello everyone:

I ordered 2 Caravan mouthpieces on trial from classicsax.com (one Large Chamber and one Med Chamber) as recommended. The Large chamber Caravan is noticeably shorter than the medium chamber Caravan. Can anyone account for this difference? Just curious...

Anyway, the Large chamber piece does play quite a bit darker than my Optimum; less upper overtones. The medium chamber one didn't offer enough of a difference for me to spend much time with it.

I wound up having to play on a much harder reed than I'm used to in order to get the mouthpieces to work for me. On my Keilwerth, as recorded, the large chamber Caravan sounds quite a bit more "nasal/reedy" and "tubby" ...not as focused. Though very even, I think I'd describe the tone as wide (oval) rather than round. This is especially noticeable in open notes and in the lower register. The upper register is beautiful! Effortlessly dark and warm. Voicing and response for the altissimo register is significantly different; not as easy as what I'm used to with the Optimum. Intonation is within the natural tendencies of my instrument though I have to make adjustments more often. The tonguing/response feels (and sounds) sluggish, even after spending quality time with it. The playing experience is in line with the Rascher I'd played before but a little more focused.

I had one of my advanced students try the Large chamber Caravan on his Cannonball alto and the piece plays and sounds beautifully for him on that instrument; round, dark and rich. The same is true when I play the Caravan on HIS instrument. His alto is quite a bit heavier/denser (mine is nickel) and lacquered so that may account for the difference in response and sound. My experience with tonguing and altissimo on his Cannonball were the same as before.

I called Mike (Lomax) who's worked on a couple of my stock mouthpieces and asked him to send me a couple of his pieces to try out. I also ordered 2 Bilger Classical pieces (a Gold and a Gold*), which should be in this week, to compare. I'll post my observations when I'm through. I'm saving the Morgan for last...

Distinguished Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ordered 2 Caravan mouthpieces on trial from classicsax.com (one Large Chamber and one Med Chamber) as recommended. The Large chamber Caravan is noticeably shorter than the medium chamber Caravan. Can anyone account for this difference? Just curious...
    The larger chamber piece needs to be shorter to provide correct intonation on modern horns. Remember - the Caravans are designed to be Rascher style pieces for MODERN horns, unlike the Rascher piece (which is a copy of a Buescher).

I'm curious as to where you got the Bilger pieces. They're hard to find these days.
    Current setups:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bilger Mouthpieces

J. Max:

Bilger products have just recently re-entered the market from what I've gathered. Here is the information I received within the last two weeks:

Bilger Products
    11013 Fuqua, PMB#240
    Houston, TX 77089-2510
    (713) 725-4824
    bilgerproducts@yahoo.com

Contact name: Matthew McCoy, Director of Operations

From a letter he sent me...

"Bilger Products will soon be online with a website packed with useful information, frequently asked questions, etc. Currently, orders and inquiries may be made through our email address."

From the brochure...
    - Gold Line (Classical) Models: Soprano (Gold), Alto (Gold, Gold* & B-92), Tenor (Gold, Gold* & B-92), Baritone & Bass (Gold)

There are also jazz/rock and student "crystal line" models listed.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast