Sax on the Web Forum banner

Professionel King S20 Players

21K views 62 replies 40 participants last post by  zootspiker 
#1 ·
I've been wondering for a longer time whether there are professionals outside playing a Super 20?
If you're looking at all the setup lists in the net you always read Mark VI, Mark VI,Mark VI and ... Mark VI, Ba, SBA, somtimes SA80.
I often have the impression that the king,conn, martin, buescher vintage market (at last here in europe) is more for the qualified amateur or the collectors. All the pros I know play Selmer!
So, if you now somebody I'd love listen to him or her!
Regards!
Chris

#54 ·
I think you mean 1951.

Yellowhornblower said:
I trust I am not diverting from this thread's topic, but I was reading Ashley Kahn's book on the making of Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" last night, I saw a picture of a 23-year-old JC playing a S20. The picture, in black and white, was dated 1961, when he was with Dizzy.

In this book, most of the pictures have JC play a MK6, so I was happy to find the one with him and an S20;-) But the engraving on his S20 looks very elaborate (almost like those that you see on the Martin tenor or an MK6), not like the smaller, simple, but more delicate ones that you see on most S20's.

And because it is in black and white, it is hard to tell whether it was an all-brass S20 or a silversonic one. But I am sure it was a Cleveland and not an Eastlake one.

Just sharing...

#58 · (Edited)
While Ernie Watts (fabulous sound!) is not a King Super 20 player (he plays Keilworth saxes under an endorsement deal), he is most decidedly NOT a Selmer Mk VI player.

I play an SML GM1 tenor and find its sound and tonal character to be the most valid blend of King S20 guts/power and Selmer Mk VI focus/tonal core that I've yet to hear. Others have described the tone of SMLs to be similar to Selmer SBAs.

Any way you slice it, I frankly don't care to sound like every other Tom, Dick and Harry Selmer clone out there (and yes, I, too, am often asked what my horn is after I have played a gig). I find the keywork of King S20s (and SMLs, too, for that matter) to be pretty darn comfortable and fast, too, but I have rarely been slowed down by keywork. That's largely a function of being used to the keys and having them in good working order.

So to summarize, if the Selmer tone is what you're after, get one (you'll likely pay dearly for it though!). If it's that King thing you seek, go for it! If it's Martin magic, go with it. Other top players do. So whatever tickles your fancy, it's nice to hear other sounds than Selmer.

Variety IS the spice of life. Be unique. :)

#59 ·
I played a s20 ( silver neck, double socket)for 8 years professionally and I'm smart enough to NOT sell it. Great Horn ! Currently playing on a truly great mark VI though.
But I've tried a lot of mark VI tenors which simply could NOT match the S20.
I might go back to the S20 someday...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.