Sax on the Web Forum banner

`Getting the high notes the way you want them.

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  lutemann 
#1 ·
I've been working on ways to get the notes from A2 to F#3 to sound solid and in tune. It is especially difficult when I am on a lower note and go up play, say, C3 or a D3. I've tried all kinds of exercises, and they have done some good. My latest exercise seems to really have pushed me into a new realm. I'm almost there. The exercise ( I have mentioned this before) is simply to play 7th chord arpeggios up and back slowly using only the notes from D2 to F#3. I play them first by ear and then check them with the tuner. Example, GbMaj7: F2, Gb2, Bb3, Db3, F3, Db3, Bb3, Gb2, F2. I have a list of about 50+ arpeggios that I play (not all in one day). I do this for 10 minutes a day. I love exercises that hit two skills at the same time.

#2 ·
I used to do 16 second long tones full range of the horn with crescendo and decrescendo. I took a lesson from Al Garth (eagles sax player) and he said he didn't have the control of the alt the way I did. Id do them up to D4 on tenor. But that one thing really helped my high register on sax more than anything else. Those notes just became easy. K

#3 ·
Start on a low Bb and then slur up to your palm keys and back down.

Like Low Bb, High D, Low Bb

Low Bb, High Eb, Low Bb

Low Bb, High E, Low Bb

and so on.

Play each note (including the low Bb's) for 4 beats at 60 BPM.

Try to make the notes as even sounding as possible. Use a Tuner too.

#4 ·
What littlewailer has said is good advice. I will add this...play the first 7 notes of "Somewhere over the rainbow" in as many keys as you can. That helps players hear the high notes as words to a familiar song. It helps to sing the high notes thru the instrument.

1---8 7 5-6-7-8

Some-where O-ver the rain-bow
1 8 7 5 6 7 8

example in F:
F F E-C-D-E-F

#5 ·
I do that with Patsy Cline's "Crazy". It helps me control the octave shifts. But so far working on the high notes is tough for me. The notes themselves are just irritating. I practice them last because after a couple of minutes, I am ready to walk away from the sax.

#6 ·
Odd as it may seem, your high range won't get any bettter if you don't work on it.

I advocate practicing overtones, ensuring solid support of your airstream, and developing the concept of always blowing all the way through your horn.

#7 ·
Thank you. I will work on that. Your ideas are always appreciated. Many times on SOTW, I have been told to get a teacher and while I know it is a great idea, I also know that it will never happen for me, so gleaning these learning ideas are extremely valuable to me. Lately I have been concerned about the amount of spit in the reed and mp. It sounds bubbly when played. I have to turn the sax over and wipe the mp with a paper towel. I never saw my sax man ever do this, and I'm wondering if Scotch helps decrease saliva.

#8 ·
I would recommend reading and playing Dave Liebman's "Developing a personal saxophone sound".
Top Tones by Sigmund Rascher wouldn't hurt, either. Be sure to carefully read the text, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.