Microphone Cable Modifications

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Microphone Cable Modifications

I have a microphone that I would like to have the fixed cable shortened and have the XLR connector changed to a right angle XLR connector. Does anyone know who could do this? Are there typically local shops that could do this type of work?
    Cannonball Big Bell Straight Soprano, Miami Dukoff D6, Hemke 2.5
    Yamaha 62S Version I, Diamond Inlay S5S/Beechler Bellite 7, La Voz MH
    Selmer Mark VII 250,XXX, D'Addario Select Jazz 7, Rico Royal 3, Selmer Mark VI Baritone

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Microphone Cable Modifications

Quote Originally Posted by awesomesaxophonist View Post
    I have a microphone that I would like to have the fixed cable shortened and have the XLR connector changed to a right angle XLR connector. Does anyone know who could do this? Are there typically local shops that could do this type of work?
    Do you know anyone who knows how to solder properly? Friends, perhaps? What kind of microphone has a cable permanently attached?
    It's not the length of the song that matters, it's the width.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An alternative is to find (or make) a new cable with the desired connector and swap it out at the microphone.

If you can solder at all, these are really easy to do. Take photos, or make a diagram, of the conductor colors before you take it apart.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My old long electroVoice has the shielded cable wires soldered on. The cable is rotten and needs replaced. But I don't know if this old style has the same quality as the new mics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is an easy fix and entails about $6 worth of parts for the right angle XLR-M connector. It's not hard and should only take about $15 minutes including the time it takes for the soldering iron to heat up. Any sound tech worth their salt should be able to do this. If you find a sound tech who doesn't know how to solder a cable end, don't ever hire them because they probably don't know anything else.

But, why do you want the right angle connector on the male end of the cable? That's the end that usually plugs into the console or sub snake and having a right angle connector there would make patching more difficult.
    Justice C. Bigler
    www.justicebigler.com
    alto: JK SX-90R clear nickel 110,xxx tenor: JK SX-90R nickel silver 121,xxx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrYikes View Post
    My old long electroVoice has the shielded cable wires soldered on. The cable is rotten and needs replaced. But I don't know if this old style has the same quality as the new mics.
    Some of those older vintage mics used different connector types and non standard (compared to what we use now) wiring schemes. It's probably easy to build a new cable for it, would just need to find the right connector and a wiring diagram to be sure everything is connected properly. What model mic is it?
    Justice C. Bigler
    www.justicebigler.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
    This is an easy fix and entails about $6 worth of parts for the right angle XLR-M connector. It's not hard and should only take about $15 minutes including the time it takes for the soldering iron to heat up. Any sound tech worth their salt should be able to do this. If you find a sound tech who doesn't know how to solder a cable end, don't ever hire them because they probably don't know anything else.

But, why do you want the right angle connector on the male end of the cable? That's the end that usually plugs into the console or sub snake and having a right angle connector there would make patching more difficult.
    I would use a right angle connector because I am using the mic with a bodypack and it is a lot to have a 6" XLR connector sticking out of the side.
    Selmer Mark VII 250,XXX, D'Addario Select Jazz 7, Rico Royal 3, Selmer Mark VI Baritone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would use a right angle connector because I am using the mic with a bodypack and it is a lot to have a 6" XLR connector sticking out of the side.
    Ok, what model of microphone are you talking about exactly? Is it a mini clip on mic? Those are much harder to work on because they are much smaller and the wires are much more delicate. Those connectors are also much more expensive. And cutting the cable for one of those mics means that you are left with only that shortened length and it can't be extended. Not the best idea if you ever need to use it in a different configuration.
    Justice C. Bigler
    www.justicebigler.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, what model of microphone are you talking about exactly? Is it a mini clip on mic? Those are much harder to work on because they are much smaller and the wires are much more delicate. Those connectors are also much more expensive. And cutting the cable for one of those mics means that you are left with only that shortened length and it can't be extended. Not the best idea if you ever need to use it in a different configuration.
    Well, he said he had an XLR connector on there now so I would assume that means a regular old XLR. In which case someone was able to solder the pins of the existing connector to the existing wires; so someone should be able to solder the same wires to a new connector.

Wouldn't any electric guitar repair person be able to do this? I mean, they work with those little hair like wires in pickups. Another choice would be a stereo repair tech (large cities may still have these; I know where there's one near-ish me).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
    Wouldn't any electric guitar repair person be able to do this?
    Not from the work that I have seen.

The wires on guitar pickups are nowhere near as tiny as the wires on some of these mini mic connectors. I'm assuming it's probably a TA4M connector, which aren't too bad to work on. If it's a Lemo or Microdot connector, forget about it. Just send it back to the manufacturer and tell them what you want done.
    Justice C. Bigler
    www.justicebigler.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is an AKG C747

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just buy one off Monoprice or Amazon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I use the mic through a Zeppelin Labs Espresso Portable Phantom Power Supply and then through a wireless transmitter. The mic sounds very nice on sax. I have used it live on multiple occasions and have never had issues with feedback or unwanted coloration of the sound. There are just a few quirks with this setup. The first being the design of the AKG C747 have a fixed straight XLR out. The second is that the phantom power supply has some self noise to it. I have a second phantom power supply, an ART Phantom II Pro, but with the arrangement of the in and out ports, I would definitely need right angle XLR connector.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, if anyone has any better alternatives for the phantom power supply, I would love to hear them. I looked into a system from Lectrosonics but those are very costly.