Sax on the Web Forum banner

Microphone Cable Modifications

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  awesomesaxophonist 
#1 ·
I have a microphone that I would like to have the fixed cable shortened and have the XLR connector changed to a right angle XLR connector. Does anyone know who could do this? Are there typically local shops that could do this type of work?

#3 ·
An alternative is to find (or make) a new cable with the desired connector and swap it out at the microphone.

If you can solder at all, these are really easy to do. Take photos, or make a diagram, of the conductor colors before you take it apart.

#6 ·
Some of those older vintage mics used different connector types and non standard (compared to what we use now) wiring schemes. It's probably easy to build a new cable for it, would just need to find the right connector and a wiring diagram to be sure everything is connected properly. What model mic is it?

#5 ·
This is an easy fix and entails about $6 worth of parts for the right angle XLR-M connector. It's not hard and should only take about $15 minutes including the time it takes for the soldering iron to heat up. Any sound tech worth their salt should be able to do this. If you find a sound tech who doesn't know how to solder a cable end, don't ever hire them because they probably don't know anything else.

But, why do you want the right angle connector on the male end of the cable? That's the end that usually plugs into the console or sub snake and having a right angle connector there would make patching more difficult.

#7 ·
I would use a right angle connector because I am using the mic with a bodypack and it is a lot to have a 6" XLR connector sticking out of the side.

#13 ·
So I use the mic through a Zeppelin Labs Espresso Portable Phantom Power Supply and then through a wireless transmitter. The mic sounds very nice on sax. I have used it live on multiple occasions and have never had issues with feedback or unwanted coloration of the sound. There are just a few quirks with this setup. The first being the design of the AKG C747 have a fixed straight XLR out. The second is that the phantom power supply has some self noise to it. I have a second phantom power supply, an ART Phantom II Pro, but with the arrangement of the in and out ports, I would definitely need right angle XLR connector.

#14 ·
Also, if anyone has any better alternatives for the phantom power supply, I would love to hear them. I looked into a system from Lectrosonics but those are very costly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.