Viking Instruments
Hyson Music

Thread: Phil Barone saxophone review

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Phil Barone saxophone review

I received my Phil Barone tenor about twelve weeks ago and Iíve put it through its paces long enough to write about it. Iíve done gigs in different size rooms with and without a mic and the sound really travels. In fact, people have told me how much better I sound and one person that heard me play who doesnít know anything about saxophones or sound told me I never sounded better. Itís an amazing horn, better than my Mark VI in every way. I bought it as a backup but now itís my primary so Iím considering selling the VI, pocketing a bunch of cash and buying a Classic model of Philís which he tells me is like a fantastic Mark VI but with a fatter upper register. So enough, hereís my review:

Sound-I just have to say that itís incredible. The low register is huge, in fact the whole register is, and I can get all of the harmonics out effortlessly. The high notes are fat and the middle D is much more clear and less stuffy than my VI. Iím using a metal Link mouthpiece on it which has been my only mouthpiece now for over ten years and this sax just enhances the sound of the mouthpiece. I actually have two mouthpieces, the Link and a D chamber Dukoff which I use on occasion and the horn sounds great with both of them.

Finish-I bought the antique bronze finish and itís beautiful to look at if thatís important to you. It isnít to me, but it does inspire me to play more since itís such a beautiful instrument. It also has turquoise abalone mother of pearls which are beautiful and make the sax unusual and stand out. The horn itself is of great quality and thereís no rough edges to the finish and everything is obviously well put together. Itís great quality stuff, as good as my Selmer, maybe better.

Ergonomics-Fantastic, the horn fits like a glove in my hand and the spatula keys are easy access and I can move around on them easily. The right and left hands also are very comfortable unlike a Conn I once had. The high D, Eb, E and F are just right in my palm and I can play more freely than my VI and donít struggle with playing them. The Mark VI just wasnít big enough in the left hand although my hands arenít very large at all. The position of the high notes is just right and Iím using it more now that itís so comfortable. The horn also has a metal thumb hook and metal thumb rest, the metal thumb hook is very comfortable.

Accessories-The sax came with a beautiful and rugged flight case which is very compact and easy to carry. It also came with a strap to carry it, a neck strap, polishing cloth and one of Philís mouthpieces of which I had a choice of two, either the Vintage or the SoundMaster. I chose the Vintage which normally sells for $250. Itís a great mouthpiece but Iíve been playing my Link for so long that I donít think Iíll ever switch and I donít like hard rubber and I never switch mouthpieces nor do I have any interest in switching. Been down that road.

Service-Right on par with the sax. Phil promptly answered my emails and when I was ready to buy I called him at which time I asked him more questions. He was very polite and direct which I like, and I was a pain in the neck. Phil is obviously from New York. Philís website is elegant and easy to use and he takes major credit cards. By the way, I received my horn in three days from the time I ordered it.

Value-Nobody does it better. These horns are very similar to the P.Mauriat. However, I looked at Mauriatís and they were more than a thousand dollars more and didnít come with a nice case or mouthpiece and Philís horn plays just as good if not better. I have to admit that I was suspicious when I looked at them and I was afraid that they were Chinese but theyíre not, theyíre from Taiwan and I understand that thereís a big difference. Phil apparently just sells to the public, no stores. I guess thatís how he keeps his prices down.

Thatís about it, the horn is an easy 10 out of 10. If youíre looking for a sax check him out on the net. Iím very happy with my purchase. Next, Iím getting one of his Vintage altoís.

Kristy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Phil Barone saxophone review

Sounds like you got yourself a sweet deal on a great horn. It's nice playing on something that does everything you'd like to be able to do with it. Never played on one of his horns but heard nothing but good things about them

Good luck with your new horn! May it bring you many years of pleasure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great review! I've been eyeing up a PB tenor for a while and post like this keep pushing me closer and closer.

What was the deciding factor for you to go with the Vintage over the Classic model?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nicely written review. I appreciate that you waited until you had played the horn for a few months before penning a review letting the "honeymoon" period expire. Reviews written after several weeks or months always seem a bit more objective to me than those written within hours or days of delivery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This review is not good for my recent case of GAS. Sounds like you got a great horn!
    Alto - Yamaha 62, Martin Indiana, Eastman 240 (for my daughter in middle school) Soprano - Yamaha 475, Venus curved, Bessler curved Tenor - Martin Imperial C-Mel - 1921 Buescher True Tone Not sure these count as horns - Yamaha Venova, Yamaha WX5 Also in the house - Bach Strad Trumpet, Yamaha Trumpet, Yamaha Trombone

Distinguished Mouthpiece Designer/Maker/Forum Contributor 2014 Phil Barone's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Kristy, thank you for such a great review. BTW, you weren't a pain in the neck. It's my job to answer questions. Phil Barone
    [CENTER][url="WWW.PhilBarone.com"][SIZE=3][B]For the Finest in Saxophones, Mouthpieces and Accessories[/B][/SIZE][/url]
    [url="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Phil-Barone-Saxophones-Mouthpieces/153737791337022?ref=ts"]Follow Me on Facebook[/url]
    [B]PH: 212.686.9410[/B][/CENTER]

Forum Contributor 2014-2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great review. Congrats on choosing the best kept secret among saxophones. FunkyHorn626 summed up Barone horns perfectly:
    It's nice playing on something that does everything you'd like to be able to do with it.
    I can't say enough good things about Phil Barone, his mouthpieces, and Phil Barone horns. I've had one of his Classic tenor models for 5 years and its sound, intonation, and playability are a match for any of my other horns including my Yani 992. Huge bottom end, clear upper register, great projection, fast action, quality build, and outstanding intonation in all registers. It was my first saxophone. Had I known then what I know now I would have avoided GAS and just stuck with my Classic 'cause that's what I'm usually playing today.

Plus, Phil has always been great to work with. He's a class act.

- Paul Panella aka "bluto"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Icantreed, Thank you! You definitely should make the leap if its something you have been considering. I couldn't be happier with mine.I felt my last tenor was a bit too bright, so was looking for a bit of a warmer sound that was the main reason. I will admit though a bit was aesthetics, I liked the engraving on the vintage as well.
    Thanks!
    Kristy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    Nicely written review. I appreciate that you waited until you had played the horn for a few months before penning a review letting the "honeymoon" period expire. Reviews written after several weeks or months always seem a bit more objective to me than those written within hours or days of delivery.
    Thanks Keith! I think its important to get to know a horn before telling everyone else about it. I think all new horns are exciting initially, there was obviously something we liked about it or wouldn't purchase it. But i've had a lot of horns where that excitement wears quickly and I find things I wish i'd have considered more, so I find it important to give it some time. The more time I spend with this horn though, the more I'm loving it.

Thanks!
    Kristy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    Great review. Congrats on choosing the best kept secret among saxophones. FunkyHorn626 summed up Barone horns perfectly:

I can't say enough good things about Phil Barone, his mouthpieces, and Phil Barone horns. I've had one of his Classic tenor models for 5 years and its sound, intonation, and playability are a match for any of my other horns including my Yani 992. Huge bottom end, clear upper register, great projection, fast action, quality build, and outstanding intonation in all registers. It was my first saxophone. Had I known then what I know now I would have avoided GAS and just stuck with my Classic 'cause that's what I'm usually playing today.

Plus, Phil has always been great to work with. He's a class act.

- Paul Panella aka "bluto"
    Bluto, I couldn't agree more! I'm always blown away by the quality of his products and would put this sax up against any other with total confidence. Phil was also great to work with as you mentioned. You don't always get an opportunity to work directly with the source before a purchase so I appreciated his advice and willingness to walk me through my purchase.

Thanks!
    Kristy

Forum Contributor 2014 skeller047's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember buying my Classic tenor from Phil a few years ago, and everything Kristy says is right on the money. Reading Phil's many posts here on this forum, and my brief conversations with him about mouthpieces, Phil is extremely knowledgeable and more important, practical. He's knows what's important and what isn't.

My PB Classic tenor is every bit a match for my 100K Mark VI, it's a fabulous instrument. Anyone seriously considering a new tenor should without a doubt check out the Barone offerings. Many folks say that the "value" of these horns is what pushed them to buy, but in fact my tenor would have been a great buy at double the price. They are every bit the equal of any horn on the market today.

Congrats Kristy, you did good! And Bluto, you are right, Phil is a class act. More important, he backs up the class with years of hard-won experience and knowledge. He's the real deal, and so are his instruments and mouthpieces.
    Steve Keller
    Straight ahead and strive for tone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skeller047 View Post
    I remember buying my Classic tenor from Phil a few years ago, and everything Kristy says is right on the money. Reading Phil's many posts here on this forum, and my brief conversations with him about mouthpieces, Phil is extremely knowledgeable and more important, practical. He's knows what's important and what isn't.

My PB Classic tenor is every bit a match for my 100K Mark VI, it's a fabulous instrument. Anyone seriously considering a new tenor should without a doubt check out the Barone offerings. Many folks say that the "value" of these horns is what pushed them to buy, but in fact my tenor would have been a great buy at double the price. They are every bit the equal of any horn on the market today.

Congrats Kristy, you did good! And Bluto, you are right, Phil is a class act. More important, he backs up the class with years of hard-won experience and knowledge. He's the real deal, and so are his instruments and mouthpieces.
    I agree with you Steve. I love my Classic as well and have spent more hours/ gigs on it than any other instrument I own. I think the important thing about the "value" is that Phil makes the horns very approachable by keeping the price so low. It isn't until after the fact that you realize how good the value is. Most people don't want to "take a flier" on a really expensive horn that they can't play-test but at $1700ish for a tenor it's reasonable enough to have a go without being able to try the horn first. The other tenor I play a lot, especially for jazz combo gigs, is a Tenor Madness Custom. This is just a fantastic horn for me but I never would have paid the $4k for it without playing it first. I bought my Classic in March of 2008 for $1250 and every time I play it I feel like I stole it, almost like I should send Phil another $100 to even the deal out. Used ones are often a crazy good value as well. When I see these come up for sale here I'm always tempted to buy another but I just have too many horns to play at this point.