Anthony Bourdain has died - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Anthony Bourdain has died

Quote Originally Posted by Grumps View Post
    No, it'll still go unanswered. There is no life after death; just death after life. Deep down, we all realize this reality. It's simply a degree of how willing we are to fool ourselves to believe otherwise, that allows us to be taken advantage of accordingly by those seeking to control us.
    Seems a bit presumptuous when you consider all we don't know about space, time, the universe, our conscientiousness, and existence in general. I have trouble believing anything concrete that we can even put words to. I agree though, that people's hopes and fears have always been used as a weapon against them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whether there is or isn't is a moot point really since we the living will never know until someone comes back from the dead for real and that seems unlikely to happen since it has never done so yet. Which is why I said earlier that our main task in life is to live and focus on living until the very instant we are no longer alive. Thinking about what comes after that for us is not just a waste of the time we have to be alive but causes a stress that prevents us from doing it fully. Take it from me, that is what that depression showed me, which I have surmised since was its purpose. Suffering it liberated me once and forever from that terrible affliction.
    'How far y'all going?' Ruby asked us with a sigh.
    'We're going all the way 'till the wheels fall off and burn.
    Till the sun peels the paint and the seat covers fade and the water moccasin dies'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pontius View Post
    ...we don't know about space, time, the universe, our conscientiousness, and existence in general. I have trouble believing anything concrete that we can even put words to. I agree though, that people's hopes and fears have always been used as a weapon against them.
    +1
    Selmer Balanced Action Alto Silver plated, D'Addario Select Jazz
    Yamaha Custom Z Tenor Silver-Plated, Robusto 7* Rovner Platinum lig, Phil-Tone Tribute; Haynes flute
    http://sonjahannington.com/ https://www.facebook.com/Sonja-Hanni...3912618348854/

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems a bit presumptuous when you consider all we don't know about space, time, the universe, our conscientiousness, and existence in general.
    No, it's the opposite that is presumptuous considering all we do know about carbon base life forms and their finite existences. Anything beyond that is simply make believe.

Distinguished SOTW Member Bebopalot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, it's the opposite that is presumptuous considering all we do know about carbon base life forms and their finite existences. Anything beyond that is simply make believe.
    So true. As humans we seek answers to everything and when that isn’t possible we come up with our own answers in order to feel that we know what’s coming, which is another human trait. All we can be sure of is that we die. Beyond that it’s fantasyland.
    The beauty of dogs is that they only live for the moment. A trait that can be considered negative in humans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distinguished SOTW Member Bari Sax Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And in case you missed this:
    OK Grumps no one is perfect I read his first book- Kitchen Confidential when it first came out, and really enjoyed it. I spent some time in P-Town in the 70's as a tourist, and also
    worked as a cook at a local restaurant during those college years, so it was a good read. Also enjoyed his later TV shows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair enough. But isn't everything make believe? we assign meaning and order to reality based on our limited senses and intellect. IMO it is better to keep an open mind. The way I see it, we know very little about the nature of reality.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The way I see it, we know very little about the nature of reality.
    But for what we do know from our experiences, we can give thanks to logic, reason and the scientific method. Of course keep an open mind, but extreme claims require extreme proofs. Again, deep down we all know that this is it. This is our shot, and we only live on through our genes. That's where the evidence takes us.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But for what we do know from our experiences, we can give thanks to logic, reason and the scientific method. Of course keep an open mind, but extreme claims require extreme proofs. Again, deep down we all know that this is it. This is our shot, and we only live on through our genes. That's where the evidence takes us.
    Kind of surprised posts like this are still here, as definitely brings in the topic of religious beliefs which I thought was banned on the forum. Of course you're welcome to your personal beliefs but I for one haven't had a near death experience and don't expect to know for sure until I'm done.
    B&S 2001 Tenor and a B&S Medusa Goldbrass Alto

SOTW Lead Administrator SAXISMYAXE's Avatar
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I no sooner responded to that reported post, then proceeded to find other posts that definitely cross the line. I think sentiments have been sufficiently expressed regarding this tragic event. The best course of action is to close this thread.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3