Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: locating an "invisible" leak

Quote Originally Posted by PigSquealer View Post
    Too bad there isn’t some way to use soapy solution to see bubbles around the leaking area.
    That technique is shown in the second blog that I linked to above.

Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever happened to our original OP? Did he disappear like many?
    He's been here a while, but doesn't post often. It's only been a week and not everyone checks the place as religiously as others. But a year ago he mentioned he had an Antigua Winds SS4290 with two necks. So it could very well be a neck leak that sent his horn down this path. I must admit my bias in this regard, as in my view removeable soprano necks are just begging for leaks. Even with the higher quality sopranos, I'm always afraid that they'll bend in my hands when getting the neck on and off.

Distinguished SOTW Member PigSquealer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fleming View Post
    That technique is shown in the second blog that I linked to above.

Mark
    Thanks Mark, guess I overlooked #2. Anyone try that on pads or chimneys ?

Grumps, noted thanks.
    Never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig 🐷

Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumps View Post
    Tell ya a story about Napbirt. Some years ago they ousted a tech whose behavior had been violating their rules. The ousted tech threatened to sue them, and as they didn't have the budget to defend their actions, they let him back in.
    If it's the one I think you are referring to, I was one of the "victims" of his antics, on several fronts. Very unpleasant indeed. (He reminds me of a very high profile... Woops!)
    Contentment is not the fulfilment of what you want, but the realisation of how much you already have.

Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumps View Post
    Tell ya a story about Napbirt. Some years ago they ousted a tech whose behavior had been violating their rules. The ousted tech threatened to sue them, and as they didn't have the budget to defend their actions, they let him back in.
    I have been the recipient of extreme nastiness from a NAPBIRT member - stuff that the organisation IMO should have kicked him out for. (A certain yellow-dyed, high profile person has more than hair in common. ) My respect for NAPBIRT took a huge dive.
    Last edited by Gordon (NZ); 06-15-2018 at 01:29 PM.
    Contentment is not the fulfilment of what you want, but the realisation of how much you already have.

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon (NZ) View Post
    If it's the one I think you are referring to, I was one of the "victims" of his antics, on several fronts. Very unpleasant indeed. (He reminds me of a very high profile... Woops!)
    Blowhard fraudsters abound. That's why I keep qualifying my statement in terms of finding a reputable tech.

Someone like Gordon, for example...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cam95 View Post
    Lately, I've been having some major trouble with the low notes on my soprano. I can play everything down to low E with ease, but all notes lower than that are very difficult to play, and I get a really stuffy tone. I know it wasn't like this a few months ago. I've tried putting a leak light in it and examining it in a dark room, but all the pads appear to seal correctly, and I couldn't find a leak at all. Any tips?
    I just had my G1 stop playing right at the end of a gig. I later put it on a leak light and found nothing. It turned out that the G#1 wasn't closing completely when I played the G1. The cork had fallen off the G#1 lever. Of course the G#1 closed completely when I played the lower notes and the higher notes don't depend on the G#1 closing. The problem only occurred when I tried to play G1. The takeaway is to look for keys that aren't closed when they are supposed to be. You may not see a leak when everything is held down, but some key may not be closing when it should. I'm just an amateur at this stuff, but my sax is broken half the time so I'm getting some skills.

Forum Contributor 2014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Mark, guess I overlooked #2. Anyone try that on pads or chimneys ?
    I haven't, but I suppose one could make a solution of saddle soap and water, then brush it liberally onto the horn with the bell plugged and mouthpiece removed. Blow gently into the horn and see if bubbles appear. It would probably require an assistant to see if and where bubbles were appearing.

There would be several issues with this. The "soapiness" might loosen corks and felts. The solution would go down tubes and wet the steel rods, causing them to rust. And soaking-wet pads form too deep of a tone hole seat (strapping down a soggy pad is a hack solution to a poorly floated pad). Too many downsides to trying the "whole horn" soap bubble test.

I would limit it to things like the neck tenon. One of the standard self-tests is to put cork grease on the neck to see if the horn plays better. Both messy and subjective. This might be a place where a little soapy water on the neck tenon, and blowing low Bbb with the bell plugged, might quickly tell you if your neck is leaking.

Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about the cigar test? Does anyone still do that? I was going to have someone blow (pleasant smelling) vape smoke into my sax once, but I found the leaks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mark, personally I didn’t find applying soap solution all over a saxophone very appealing. I see more drawbacks than benefits. However I was curious if anybody had attempted this. Execution of soapy solution on the neck was perfect for the task.

Lutemann, A pleasant smelling a cigar?What about that smoke or fog solution used on stage? Anyone have a go of that? Somehow having a sax reek of cigars or Vape is not appealing. No matter what flavor of Tutti Frutti.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you suspect your neck tenon is leaking, just take it to your tech and have him test it with the Neck Leak Isolator. If a leak is found you can have it fixed right there. Or you may want to invest in your own. You can charge your sax player friends $10 each time they want to use it and you can recoup the cost in no time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by saxoclese View Post
    If you suspect your neck tenon is leaking, just take it to your tech and have him test it with the Neck Leak Isolator. If a leak is found you can have it fixed right there. Or you may want to invest in your own. You can charge your sax player friends $10 each time they want to use it and you can recoup the cost in no time.
    That is a handy one,I like it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3