Sax on the Web Forum banner

dexter gordon's *big* vibrato

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  JL 
#1 ·
Hi,

dexter gordon's solo on "watermelon man" was the one of the first solo I tried to play. There was two major difficulties for me : the altissimo G (which I can now play easily) and the huge vibrato on the Bb.

How can I play this vibrato ? Is it a "standard" vibrato or some kind of wobble with weird fingering?

#4 ·
What you describe is the 'Bb wobble.' Basically it is a 'wobble with weird fingering.' Finger an Eb without the top key (lift the left hand index finger) and blow hard with an exaggerated vibrato. A great effect!

Pete Thomas explains it here:

https://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophone-wobble
I knew this article (and all the great information on Pete site) but I wasn't sure that was it, but the more I compare the two (dexter and tenor wobble on pete's site) the more I think you're right, it's a wobble ! I *just* need to make it work on my horn!

#7 ·
I use that note a lot for a long time, I learned it watching Arnett Cobb live from very close years ago. But I always thought it was an A (tenor) shake, not Bb. Also never saw the article of Pete before, who calls it a Bb wobble. Works best for me when played with a loose embouchure, strong air stream and a big vibrato. I guess you can use it as Bb or A shake because of the big vibrato.

#8 ·
mrpeebee, while it's not exactly the same effect, for the note A, I use an A 'shake' by playing an alternate fingering with the normal fingering, back and forth. The alternate fingering being the addition of the 3 lower RH keys to the normal A fingering: XXO/XXX. The wobble is created by lowering and raising those 3 RH keys.

I'm sure you're familiar with it and of course it's not a vibrato, but still a kind of 'wobble' effect.

#12 ·
Thanks JL. I actually play both effects regularly, without even knowing how to name them (just found those things by watching and experimenting). :|

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.