Can someone help me? Tenor Metalite M5 vs M7?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Can someone help me? Tenor Metalite M5 vs M7?

I played alto for 2 decates now and moved to tenor. I want to know which Metalite size would be better free blowing, poppier sound for jazz, funk and church gospel. Rightnow I'm playing a hite premier with number 5 fibracell with good results but need more edge. Will the M5 give me more projection stability of altissimos better than the M7?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Can someone help me? Tenor Metalite M5 vs M7?

It all depends on you, but mostly I see people using M7 on tenor. Why not try some different reeds instead of changing the mouthpiece? The Hite Premier is a good mouthpiece, a different reed may help. Maybe some Rigotti Gold Jazz?
    Either be good...or do better

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by minicooper View Post
    It all depends on you, but mostly I see people using M7 on tenor. Why not try some different reeds instead of changing the mouthpiece? The Hite Premier is a good mouthpiece, a different reed may help. Maybe some Rigotti Gold Jazz?
    I'm getting a freebie and wanted to ask qhich is better the m5 ar .095 or the m7 at .105. The hite is .090

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure anyone can say which is better, it’s all up to your preference and what works for you. If you go M7 you have to change reed strength.
    Either be good...or do better

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use an M5 but most will prefer the M7....good edgy sound. For the price, get both.

Distinguished SOTW Member nachoman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me a high baffle piece like a metalite would be better in a wider tip- the combination of narrow tip and a high baffle feels a bit weird to play...
    Trevor James RAW Tenor, Theo Wanne Amma & Rico Plasticovers
    Bauhaus curved soprano, Theo Wanne Gaia & La Voz
    Charlie Blacklock Musical Saw

Distinguished SOTW Member B Flat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The M7 may be slightly bigger and therefore able to hold a larger variety of doors in the open position.
    YDMV (your doors may vary).
    Sent from my iPhone using poor grammar and literacy skills.
    Quality Wrought Iron & (mediocre Sax Playing)
    www.warpironworks.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a huge metalite thread under the General Mouthpiece section. I play a M7 and M9 on my Beuscher tenor. For me, the M7 plays with a thicker sound, more overtones. The M9 is a bit cleaner sound. I use them both regularly, depending on what I feel like that day.

SOTW Columnist
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nachoman View Post
    For me a high baffle piece like a metalite would be better in a wider tip...
    +1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by B Flat View Post
    The M7 may be slightly bigger and therefore able to hold a larger variety of doors in the open position.
    YDMV (your doors may vary).
    Got me laughing out loud at work. I agree with that assessment however. I wanted to like the Metalite but couldn't. No zing in the sound.
    It's not the length of the song that matters, it's the width.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

For me the M7 would be better than the M5. I'd want to play neither, mbut if they are free then definitely worth the money.
    TamingTheSaxophone.com saxophone website & tutorials
    Tone Without Tears: how to practise long notes without getting bored | PPT Mouthpieces | IMPRO FOR BEGINNERS | AUDIO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nachoman View Post
    For me a high baffle piece like a metalite would be better in a wider tip- the combination of narrow tip and a high baffle feels a bit weird to play...
    so a M9 or M7? Right now I have a soft reed fibracell 3.5 but plays like a 2 rico orange box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    For me the M7 would be better than the M5. I'd want to play neither, mbut if they are free then definitely worth the money.
    They don't have the m5 nor the m7 in stock till the 30th haha. I'm kind of the impatient kind so I was thinking the m9 since its in stock. I don't know maybe I'll wait for the M7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C Mel Dave View Post
    There is a huge metalite thread under the General Mouthpiece section. I play a M7 and M9 on my Beuscher tenor. For me, the M7 plays with a thicker sound, more overtones. The M9 is a bit cleaner sound. I use them both regularly, depending on what I feel like that day.
    cleaner sounds good, I want a clean bright but raspy with some edge. I guess I want a bit of both worlds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sacks Of Phones View Post
    Got me laughing out loud at work. I agree with that assessment however. I wanted to like the Metalite but couldn't. No zing in the sound.
    Hahaha I hope he's talking about the doors tone wise

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alexsax0318 View Post
    They don't have the m5 nor the m7 in stock till the 30th haha. I'm kind of the impatient kind so I was thinking the m9 since its in stock.
    It's a high baffle mpc, so the M9 would be better yet. You need an open tip to balance out the high baffle unless you want a thin shrill sound. Caveat: My subjective opinion, based on my own experience with a number of high baffle mpcs, although I haven't played a Metalite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    It's a high baffle mpc, so the M9 would be better yet. You need an open tip to balance out the high baffle unless you want a thin shrill sound. Caveat: My subjective opinion, based on my own experience with a number of high baffle mpcs, although I haven't played a Metalite.
    You haven't played a Metalite, still you recommend an M9 over an M7? Strange. Based on what? Presumption?
    If you follow that logic, why not say the M11 is better still?

To the OP:
    If you are on a 0.90, which is in the ball park of an M5 at 0.95, an M9 at 0.115 could be a bridge too far IMO.
    I can make an M9 work, but it takes much more air and work and sounds "duller" than an M7.
    You also seem to contradict yourself saying you want a cleaner, yet bright but raspy with some edge. Bright, raspy with some edge seems the opposite of clean to me.

Anyway, they are cheap, but good mouthpieces. High baffle does not directly translate to "shrill". It is just one of many factors that determines the sound.
    If you like a mouthpiece with "zing" you'll need to fork off more cash.

Try them all. The proof of the pudding... you know.

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoulMate View Post
    You haven't played a Metalite, still you recommend an M9 over an M7? Strange. Based on what? Presumption?
    I did mention the fact that I haven't played a Metalite, so the OP can take that into consideration (in which case he might best ignore what I say). But here's my reasoning, which I probably should have included in my previous post:

I've played a lot of different high baffle mpcs, with the one thing they had in common being the high baffle. What I found across the board was that any high baffle mpc I've played in a tip smaller than .115 was very edgy and yes, 'shrill,' to my ears. Of course you can mitigate that to some extent by how you play the mpc, but you have to work at it to get any warmth to the tone. OTOH, I've played several high baffle mpcs in the .115 to .125 tip size range, and they played with a lot richer, deeper, and warmer (some would call it 'darker') tone quality, yet still with plenty of edge due to the baffle. The size and shape of the baffle also makes a difference and not all 'high' baffle pieces have a truly high baffle. But even with different shape/size 'high' baffles, a larger tip seems to improve the sound. Again, that's just my experience. From what I've heard about Metalites, I doubt they would behave significantly differently in respect to tip size from other high baffle mpcs.

Of course if the OP truly wants a 'bright, raspy sound,' then maybe the larger tip wouldn't be the best way to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have all three current production tenor Metalites, and really, they all play pretty similar to me. Before getting the Metalites my pieces were .110"-.115" tips (same as M9), but I was surprised to find the M5 (.095") and M7 (.105") really comfortable. The M5 might lean a little brighter, but it's minimal. I've been playing the M7 more than the other two, but I like them all.

FWIW, I also really like the alto and soprano pieces. I even snagged the discontinued M9 and M11 alto pieces -- very Jackie McLean! I wish I could find the discontinued facings for soprano (and M11 tenor) as well.
    Soprano - Antigua Winds 590-BC Metalite M7, Forestone Black Bamboo, Olegature; Rascher, Legere Signature, Rovner Dark
    Alto - Yamaha YAS-875EXB Metalite M5, Forestone Black Bamboo, Rovner Dark; Rascher, Legere Classic, Rovner Dark
    Tenor - Yamaha YTS-62 Metalite M7, Forestone Black Bamboo, Rovner Dark; Rascher, Forestone Black Bamboo, Rovner Dark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoulMate View Post

To the OP:
    If you are on a 0.90, which is in the ball park of an M5 at 0.95, an M9 at 0.115 could be a bridge too far IMO.
    I can make an M9 work, but it takes much more air and work and sounds "duller" than an M7.
    You also seem to contradict yourself saying you want a cleaner, yet bright but raspy with some edge. Bright, raspy with some edge seems the opposite of clean to me.

Anyway, they are cheap, but good mouthpieces. High baffle does not directly translate to "shrill". It is just one of many factors that determines the sound.
    If you like a mouthpiece with "zing" you'll need to fork off more cash.

Try them all. The proof of the pudding... you know.
    Didn'y mean raspy, I meant clean but bright the type of ton like breckers with some power but not shrill. So which one? M5,m7 or m9?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast