Sax on the Web Forum banner

Help! Cabaret Reed 1 book question for Eb v Bb clarinet?

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Benny 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,
This seems like a stupid question - but I really can't figure this out.

I was asked to play Reed 1 for a local production of Cabaret (Revised edition).

The book is labeled (exactly like this) for "Flute, Piccolo, Eb Clarinet (or Bb Clarinet) Soprano and Alto Sax".

The individual tunes in the book are all labeled either just "Clarinet" or specifically "Bb Clarinet or sop sax". Couldn't find a single reference specific to Eb clarinet ANYWHERE beyond page 1.

Are the parts labeled just "Clarinet" really meaning I am playing the Eefer?

I feel like I am missing something? Is there a transposing trick for Eb clarinet I don't know about yet (like playing bassoon parts on bari sax)?

I also noticed that I didn't see a SINGLE reference to piccolo in the book. Is this answer related to my clarinet question?

I usually play reed books 2,3 or 4 for musicals - so perhaps this is some strange thing Reed 1 players already know.. :/

See less See more
#2 ·
My guess is the label on the cover is one of the last things to be edited and sometimes overlooked. I just played a run of Drowsy Chaperone. The cover on reed one is labeled "soprano sax, flute, clarinet, alto sax, piccolo". There isn't a single note of piccolo in the book.

I bet the Cabaret book is similar.

#4 ·
Querty - thanks for the thought. I think you are right. It is in fact the 'revised' edition - so I bet the Eb and Picc were revised right out - but they never revised the cover.

Interesting..

#5 ·
Saxhound - thanks for the link. Sparse details on this particular musical - but perhaps I'll add my comments after I do the show.

#7 ·
Nvilletele, I have no idea what you are suggesting I do. Please explain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.