Sax on the Web Forum banner

Mouthpiece storage case

5K views 34 replies 23 participants last post by  reedsburn62 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have a Protec mouthpiece case but it only can hold 4 tenor mouthpieces, it supposed to be for 6 but they don't fit.

Can you share or do you have any ideas on how and where to store multiple mouthpieces in one single case?

Thanks and best,

:bluewink:

#6 ·
I have a set of small plastic drawers that they sell at hardware stores for storing nuts & bolts and other small parts. They come in several different configurations and sizes. I store mouthpieces as well as ligatures, mouthpiece patches, reed working tools, cork grease, etc.. You'd be surprised how quickly you can fill one of these things up with all sorts of little bits & bobs.

#9 ·
You need a mouthpiece drawer. I have a reed drawer in the night stand in the guest bedroom. When people are visiting they don't put things in a nightstand drawer just like you don't at a hotel, because you'll go off and leave them. Anyway, I picked up a home-made wood box somewhere that I keep any spare mouthpieces in along with anything else mouthpiece-related, like reed caps, ligatures/screws, patches, bags, etc. A wood cigar box is great for this, also spare necks.

#13 ·
I saw pics of a case made from what i think was a junked flute case. New foam and velvet. Pretty simple and effective.

Also as stated above...clear plastic tackle boxes and tackle box inserts work great if you dont need fancy padding.

The plastic is pretty soft and the boxes have various levels of easy size adjustments.

#23 ·
Hah, fair enough. I guess I'm the opposite since I've never been much for fishing so I've never had a real "tackle box" that would remind me of lazy weekends on the lake. Every box I have that has a handle (out side of my horn cases) if full of tools, saws, drills, compressor guns, etc. so nothing says "home project" to me like a box with a handle and a lot of dividers.

I've been thinking about getting something a bit more elegant like this; https://www.kotulas.com/deals/Produ...kB48WFcO4L0EJijnnGBtlwmRYo-FpXkgaAtSyEALw_wcB

but I've yet to see one in a store I really like and I'm reluctant to mail order one.

#28 ·
Most stuff I just keep in shoe boxes, either in its original box or wrapped in a Crown Royal bag.
I also use my old Pak-a-Seat from my pedal steel guitar days for quick access to stuff while practicing at home. These things are great. They are sort of like a modified piano bench: basically it’s a wooden box with folding legs underneath and with a cushioned hinged lid to use as a seat. These are used by pedal steel players as a way to carry one thing that is both an accessory case and a seat. I keep my mouthpiece, reeds, metronome, swabs, what ever, in it and it’s what I sit on for practicing. Everything is out of the way and right there when I want it.

#29 ·
I think a Pelican (or clone) brief-case type thing is best, especially if you have a lot of mouthpieces. Get one with the foam pre-cut into little squares, then you can adjust the case to suit your pieces.

If you want to keep them in their original boxes then a tackle box is probably the best option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.