Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Differences between the Keilwerth sopranos

Hello JC and all,

Here is the story on the current JK soprano saxophones:

All models are SX90 or variation of, and ALL models have the new bore design as of 2012.
    The standard SX90 is offered in gold lacquer, black nickel, or vintage finish and has standard keywork

The new bore is slightly wider and has a slight taper at the bell - this creates a full, warmer sound and not the "nasal" soprano sound - so a soprano that sounds like a SAXOPHONE!!

The DL/DLS models differ as follows:
    Both have the revised keywork on the right hand side keys as designed by Dave.
    Both are offered in the vintage finish only

The DLS has:
    cork pads on all upper keys (octaves, palm keys)
    "Dave Liebman" signature engraved on bell
    Ying-Yang and staff design engraved on bell as designed by Dave
    "Dave Liebman" signature embroidered on case
    Silk swab, sax stand, and Key clamps as selected by Dave

The DLS is basically offered for those who want the look and keywork but without Dave's name engraved on it or all the extra stuff.

The keywork for all instruments is made entirely by hand. Because of this the production capacity is low - 2-3 units per month. With the current demand you can expect a 3-6 month minimum delivery on any new order. It is also very unlikely you will find several to try at one time. That said - as of a few weeks ago PM Woodwind in Evanston, IL (Paul Maslin) had a DL and DLS in stock looking for a home. I do not know if they are still there - but it is worth a phone call if you are looking.

The 2 piece neck sopranos were discontinued long before we (Buffet Crampon) took the brand. The tooling for those models is no longer available.

If there are any other specific questions feel free to email me directly at keilwerth-info@buffetcrampon.com

Thank you as always for your interest and continued support!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member and Sax Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have always enjoyed and appreciated the Keilworth saxophones whenever I have seen or played them. I don't run into them too often, which is a shame as I feel they have a richer tone quality than the other major modern saxophones.
    Percy Grainger adapted a Bach Prelude and Fugue for SATB saxophone quartet. Excellent orchestration and adaptation. It is published on my To the Fore website.
    Paul Cohen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the summary and the info, Twocircles

I didn't know Sax Quest was in St. Louis, that's a doable drive and I go through there on my way to Michigan every January anyway.

Al, is the 2-3 per month production capacity for all of the sopranos or just the Liebman models? I may have to look for a trade show like Namm, if there are any more available to try out. $6 grand is an awfully big purchase to make without getting to at least try one out.

Does the keywork on the regular non-Liebman SX90 sopranos feel like that of the SX90R altos? just smaller? If I were to make a purchase without getting to try one, I think it would have to be the standard model, assuming that the keywork is very close to that of the altos. It sounds like the differences in the keywork for the Liebman sopranos is too much a gamble.
    Justice C. Bigler
    www.justicebigler.com
    alto: JK SX-90R clear nickel 110,xxx tenor: JK SX-90R nickel silver 121,xxx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, it's weird. If I had $15,000, I would buy a Keilwerth Shadow baritone, sight unseen and have it shipped to my door just because I am so sure of the feel and sound quality of the instrument.

But buying a soprano sight unseen just makes me nervous.
    Justice C. Bigler
    www.justicebigler.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JC,

The capacity is for all models. Generally we do not have any at trade shows and if we do it would be just one.

Standard keywork is exactly what you would expect from SX90R and feel very comfortable to you. The DL/DLS keywork has raised keys on the right hand palm, side Bb, C, F#, etc. that feel closer to the hand.

I understand you hesitation to purchase without trying one. Again I suggest to contact Paul Maslin at PM Woodwind to see if he still has any. If I hear of any other dealers with one to move I will let you know.

Thanks again,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Keilwerth View Post
    JC,

The capacity is for all models. Generally we do not have any at trade shows and if we do it would be just one.

Standard keywork is exactly what you would expect from SX90R and feel very comfortable to you. The DL/DLS keywork has raised keys on the right hand palm, side Bb, C, F#, etc. that feel closer to the hand.

I understand you hesitation to purchase without trying one. Again I suggest to contact Paul Maslin at PM Woodwind to see if he still has any. If I hear of any other dealers with one to move I will let you know.

Thanks again,
    One of my favorite things about Keilwerth is that you respond with information to our questions and comments about your products on SOTW.

When I hear 2-3 sopranos per month, the former VP of Marketing in me cringes. But, the consumer of quality items says, “Wow, handmade artisan work. If I ordered one that came from the factory, it would be like it was made just for me!” How rare is that?

While sound is the bottom line, I also love the unique octave mechanism. It is an elegant design on top away from the spit.

I thought I would also add a link to the discussion about these horns on the Bb Soprano forum. There is a review by a pro who got a DLS and a brief review by a player new to soprano who apparently got one of the standard line models.
    https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...sale-out-there
    Soprano: New soprano coming soon; Vintage C-Mel Tenor project: Evette-Schaeffer, Buffet-Crampon Clarinet: Yamaha
    Alto: Noblet "Face" model (Designed by Dolnet?, made in the Beaugnier factory under Dolnet management for LeBlanc under the Noblet label. That's the musical instrument business.);

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twocircles View Post
    When I hear 2-3 sopranos per month, the former VP of Marketing in me cringes.
    No kidding. I'm sure that Keilwerth could sell at least...5 sopranos a month if they could get them built.
    Justice C. Bigler
    www.justicebigler.com

Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 2007 Morry's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With that low of a production count, they'd better come out of the factory set up well. My 2 SX90R's (alto and tenor) had dreadfully unlevel tone hole rings. Hoping this has been rectified, especially since you might not see the horn your buying before you order it.
    JK SX90R Gold Lacquer over Nickel Alto
    JK SX90R Clear Lacquer Tenor
    Yamaha YBS-52 Bari

Current band:
    www.horndogsband.com
    www.facebook.com/horndogsband

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2