Phil Barone vs JS Crescent Tenors - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Phil Barone vs JS Crescent Tenors

I think I remember Rich Maraday telling me that the Barone, TK Melody, and Kessler Custom were all made in the same factory, but I may be wrong🤔.
    1936 Conn 10M tenor, 1941 Buescher "Big B" alto, 1917 Conn curved soprano

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, so it seems pretty unanimous at this point. Looks like a should go with a Barone.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swperry1 View Post
    That student was me! Yes, The Barone is better in every way. I do not recommend buying a crescent, Palo is awesome and was putting a lot of work into setting up these Chinese horns, they do not hold regulation and the quality just isnít there.
    Edit: this was 2011 or 2012. I know the PB horns are still of high quality and excellent bang for your buck, but havenít heard about crescents lately.

Your prior instructor is an excellent player, as you know. Someone who has played as much and plays as well as he does would certainly recognize the better horn. If heís the one who steered you away from the Crescent and onto the Barone, it was the right move.

Just a guy who plays saxophone. swperry1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by extradarcafe View Post
    Your prior instructor is an excellent player, as you know. Someone who has played as much and plays as well as he does would certainly recognize the better horn. If heís the one who steered you away from the Crescent and onto the Barone, it was the right move.
    Agreed on all points, but I knew the crescent wasnít a keeper the second I picked it up. It played okay when I opened the case but you wouldnít believe it had undergone pretty much a complete tear down and rebuild at Paloís very capable hands. The bell moved literally every time youíd pick up or put down the horn...blew my techís mind. I already had the Barone, I was in a mode where I thought I needed a backup horn. When perfectly regulated and directly out of the techís hands to mine, it sounded like a contender. The first time you put it on a stand the leaks started creeping in. Youíre right, Daveís a great player...stood alongside him in a jazz fusion ensemble and got blown away twice a week plus performances for two semesters. Those were some ridiculously tough tunes and I was barely staying afloat. Iíd love to revisit that group sometime, Iíd have a lot more to say. I finally feel like Iím starting to get a handle on a lot of the concepts he was laying on me back then. Perhaps he knew that someday Iíd start to figure it out. Daveís a super creative improviser and one of my favorite players to see live.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting what you said about the bell moving. That was the problem when I received mine. It was easy enough for me to fix. I sold it to a guy that still has it some 3+ years later and doesn't have a problem. I didn't see any other problems with the Cresent.

So since discussing the Barone in this thread I have gone and looked at them. The engraving is much improved and the prices are really good for new horns. I do happen to believe that some of the past horns were same as the Allora Paris series. I had one of those and thought it was very nice. That horn was also identical to the Kessler Custom. I am talking about the one I played in 2014. They have changed some in appearance since that time. However I was confident that horn I saw was made in Vietnam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread

Forum Contributor 2014 skeller047's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just want to add my voice to the Barone-chorus here. I bought a Barone Classic tenor 5 or 6 years ago, with the thought that it would be a usable backup to my Mark VI (100xxx serial #). I soon learned that it could **_replace_** my Mark VI if need be. The only issue I have with it is mechanical - because the ribs are larger, there is some extra stuff here and there, and a high F# key, the horn is slightly heavier. Also, the high F# key touch was an issue for me because I played rather flat-fingered on the RH on my Mark VI; on the Barone, this can cause me to accidentally crack open the high F# key. I had to learn a (better!) finger/hand position to avoid it; took about a week of playing to straighten that out.

Tonewise, the horns are very similar - Selmer has its strong core, so tonally a bit more expressive, but the Barone is more in tune, and the palm keys are much more balanced tone-wise. High G (the gateway to the altissimo...) is very easy on the Barone, but a struggle on my Mark VI.

So I bought a $1500 backup to a $6K Selmer, and found an equal in every way. You won't go wrong with a Barone.
    Steve Keller
    Straight ahead and strive for tone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2