The Worst Saxophone Solo of All Time is _________

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Distinguished SOTW Member buddy lee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Worst Saxophone Solo of All Time is _________

Van Morrison sax solo on Days Like This. It's not even close. Prove me wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UUWkr4FUlo
    "Can't never could."

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Worst Saxophone Solo of All Time is _________

Yikes. That's going to be hard to beat. Although we should add some parameters: maybe "worst recorded saxophone solo by a professional musician released on a major label" or something. Because I think I heard a worse one at a blue jam recently, but that guy wasn't no pro and it thankfully wasn't recorded.

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster
    Forum Contributor 2007-present
    Hawaiian homey, German resident, doing time in Texas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it's a well-done tune. I think there are much worse solos - get's the job done. BTW, is that a young Candy Dulfer in the horn section? Also, Pee Wee Ellis?

Archie Shepp's Girl from Ipanema.

(Although, actually, I find it pretty interesting.)

"Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis."
    - - Chet Baker

Formerly, TK Melody soprano, Selmer Serie II alto, Keilwerth tenor, Azumi flute.
    Now, Connstellation, Committee, Benge trumpets, Hoyer French Horn.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MLucky View Post
    Yikes. That's going to be hard to beat. Although we should add some parameters: maybe "worst recorded saxophone solo by a professional musician released on a major label" or something. Because I think I heard a worse one at a blue jam recently, but that guy wasn't no pro and it thankfully wasn't recorded.
    Yeah that's what I meant haha sorry. For years I always wondered who they hired to play that solo and how it got released like that, then I found out that Van Morrison did it so I guess it was ok. Maybe he was making some kind of point? Dunno.
    "Can't never could."

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like that solo while still aware of what it might lack when compared to a solo that say, any of his hired sax players could do. Van just goes for it and does his own thing and could care less that he's got players like Candy backing him who could play it another way to put it politely. He's a great communicator and his small raspy tone is his alone, but the audiences always love it and the whole tune works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kritavi View Post
    I like that solo while still aware of what it might lack when compared to a solo that say, any of his hired sax players could do. Van just goes for it and does his own thing and could care less that he's got players like Candy backing him who could play it another way to put it politely. He's a great communicator and his small raspy tone is his alone, but the audiences always love it and the whole tune works.
    Oh listen, I love his music generally speaking, it's just that sax solo that seems so out of place with everything else that's going on in this song. The rest of it's fantastic to my ears.
    "Can't never could."

Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen Van many times and the couple of times where he was the only saxophonist were pretty much the worst. I need some Candy, Pee Wee, Richie Buckley or somebody on that level to really make the experience complete. And yes if I went to see a band where the saxophonist sounded like that I'd be less than thrilled. But I enjoy and his brief solos and I think in a way that is his sense of humor coming out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Out of place"? Seems to me to fit right in. It's just a bit amateurish to me. But context? Seems appropriate to me.

"Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis."
    - - Chet Baker

Formerly, TK Melody soprano, Selmer Serie II alto, Keilwerth tenor, Azumi flute.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009 Keith Ridenhour's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:Id say my solo from a gig two weeks ago would rank there. We played all of me. Its always in my D on alto and the guitar went to my c# without notice. I was struggling to figure out where and all the changes went. Not pretty K
    Bachelor of Music Education UMSL , two years at Berklee College of Music
    MY Original and cover music is for sale under Keith Ridenhour on I tunes and CD baby
    .https://store.cdbaby.com/Search/a2VpdGggcmlkZW5ob3Vy/0
    My Oil Painting work is also used as all the song art so thats for sale also. You can see my latest with my avatar
    I have videos of performance with three different bands on my webpage Ksaxman.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buddy lee View Post
    Van Morrison sax solo on Days Like This. It's not even close. Prove me wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UUWkr4FUlo
    I can't prove you wrong, but it seems in context not to be a problem. It would have been very wrong if he'd done a flashy bebop or a smooth jazz solo.

Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post

That was great! Thanks.
    TamingTheSaxophone.com saxophone website & tutorials
    Tone Without Tears: how to practise long notes without getting bored | IMPRO FOR BEGINNERS |DVD & TUTORIALS | BACKING TRACKS | AUDIO

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Love Supreme?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumps View Post
    A Love Supreme?
    Provocature!

- - Chet Baker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that in context the Van solo is fine. The Archie Shepp was great. I especially liked the horn section parts and the way they played them. Shepp has a gritty gravel in his sound in everything he did. Un-transcribable attitude. The opposite of 'corny' which seems where any version of "The Girl" could slide. It has unfairly become a meme for elevator rides. These type of "what is worse" discussions reveal more about the taste and personality of the individuals commenting than anything about the music. Anyone who attempts to make a living at music and especially playing an instrument, has a tough road to hoe. Especially now a days. "Slam booking" them serves little purpose.

Distinguished SOTW Member CashSax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was a great cut..ol skool I loved it inc the solo

Cash's vintage Demo Recordings circa '99-'03 SF Bay Area www.box.net/cashsax

Forum Contributor 2016-17 DavisConnArtist's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The sax solo on "Angel Baby" (Rosie & The Originals, 1960) has been (accurately) described as "appalling but effective."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know this guy is a brilliant player and does this avant garde stuff on purpose, but this solo still makes me laugh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it's a well-done tune. I think there are much worse solos - get's the job done. BTW, is that a young Candy Dulfer in the horn section? Also, Pee Wee Ellis?

I believe it's Kate St John playing alto in the video.She played saxophone and oboe on some of Van' albums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen Van Morrison's bands a few times, and, while the voice is wonderful, the great man's interludes on alto were never a highlight, sadly- with often some of the finest session horn players lined up behind him.

He writes a lot of it, and no-one is going to stop him... The Bon Iver clip, though....what!? I believe I know the identity of the bass sax, but I'm keeping it to myself, in case I am wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See I enjoyed the Archie clip. The solo I reference sounds like a middle schooler played it. If that was intentional then I guess I don’t get the point :P
    "Can't never could."

SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavisConnArtist View Post
    The sax solo on "Angel Baby" (Rosie & The Originals, 1960) has been (accurately) described as "appalling but effective."
    You beat me to it and just a little story behind it. Not that it matters but....

#5 ANGEL BABY—ROSIE & THE ORIGINALS - TONY GOMEZ - TENOR

Rosalie Hamlin was only fourteen in 1960, when she met four older guys who would become the Originals; at the time they played music with some of her friends. Alfred Barrett played saxophone, Tony Gomez played bass, David Ponci played guitar, Noah Tafolla played lead guitar, and Carl von Goodat played drums.

The band’s sax player, Alfred Barrett, had to stay home and cut the grass and rake leaves, so he missed the recording session. Bass player Tony Gomez filled in and didn’t know much sax. Rosie had a bad cold which caused her to sing so nasal. (Billboard’s Book of One Hit Wonders) Courtesy Dave Kevon.

Rosie Hamlin is quoted in the liner notes of The Best of Rosie and the Originals:
    I was the youngest; I was 15. David Ponci played guitar, he was 21. Noah Tafolla, the lead guitar player, was 17; Carl Von Goodat was the drummer; I think he was 18. Then we had Tony Gomez, who was 19 or 20 on bass. We also had a saxophone player, Alfred Barrett. He was with us on-and-off. On the day of the recording, Alfred had to stay at home and rake leaves—his mother wouldn’t let him go until he had cleaned the yard. We kept calling him from the recording studio telling him to hurry on over but he said, “I can’t, my mother won’t let me leave.” So Noah told Tony Gomez that he would have to play the sax solo. Tony said, “I’m no sax player!” Noah said “just play this” and showed Tony how to play it and so Tony ended up playing sax on the record. (Courtesy of Mike LaRoche)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast