Have You Seen a YAS-62II Like This One?

Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Have You Seen a YAS-62II Like This One?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-YAS-...19.m1438.l2649

The horn has many features of a MK I: Stainless springs, real MOP touches, 62 neck (not G1), and MK I case. However, it doesn't have the "J" key guard, and is clearly marked 62II on the tube. I don't believe I've seen one like this. Are they common?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Have You Seen a YAS-62II Like This One?

If it is a 62-II, it looks like it may be an early 62-II because the logo on the bell is the same that is on the stamped 62 not the newer, circular, stamped logo that appeared on the II. My guess is that it is still a gen 1 that was getting finished out at the time of the changeover to the II and they stamped the model on the body tube wrong.
    Soprano: Jupiter 947-SG; Alto: 1929 Conn New Wonder II Alto with some transitional key work but NWII engraving - Late 234xxx serial number, 1956 Buffet Dynaction
    Tenor: Yamaha YTS-62 Stamped Logo, 1979 Buffet S1; Bari: 1959 The Martin Baritone Sax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The more I look at that alto the more I question if it was a transition from the 1st gen to the II, but wonder if it was the transition from the purple logo to the stamped logo. That sax has a lot of lacquer wear, and the pads look much older than they should for a 2003 era sax when Yamaha went from gen I to II. Makes wonder if Yamaha was going to call the stamped logo models the II, then had a change of heart and this one was made during that brief time. Anyone know what year they changed from the purple logo to the stamped logo on the 62? I'm going to guess 25 years ago or so? The pads look to be 25 years old, not 15. My 62 Tenor is from 2001 and the pads still look to be in near perfect shape.
    Soprano: Jupiter 947-SG; Alto: 1929 Conn New Wonder II Alto with some transitional key work but NWII engraving - Late 234xxx serial number, 1956 Buffet Dynaction
    Tenor: Yamaha YTS-62 Stamped Logo, 1979 Buffet S1; Bari: 1959 The Martin Baritone Sax

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good observations, TJ. However, If it was a transition from purple logo to the stamped logo, it probably would have retained the old single piece "J" key guard, right? It might make more sense that it is a transition from the I to the II. I agree, though, about the apparent age of the horn and pads...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could a change to separate keyguards been part of the original idea for Yamaha to further separate the purple logo from the stamped logo? Just brainstorming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T_J_h90000 View Post
    Could a change to separate keyguards been part of the original idea for Yamaha to further separate the purple logo from the stamped logo? Just brainstorming.
    Scratch that idea, I just went and looked at the serial number on my tenor 049xxx circa 2001, the serial on that alto is 074xxx which would put it around 2003 I'm guessing. Going to go back to my original guess in that it was a late first gen/transitional 62 and was on the assembly line at the time of model transition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have had a series1 alto with serial#88,000 and another at #85,000 both with the J guard.
    this is probably, as noted ,a transitional model.
    my recollection for purple logo finishing for alto's is around #30,000.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I met the YAS-62I with the serial number 79xxx, and the YAS-62II with the serial number 73xxx. Most likely some time produced both models.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never seen a 62 with the series stamped before.
    Yamaha YTS-62iii tenor/Paraschos Selmer neck/Vandoren T20/Vandoren MO/L�g�re Signature Series 3.5
    Yanagisawa AWO10/D'Addario Reserve D155/Bay ligature/L�g�re Signature Series 3
    Buffet Prodige clarinet/Vandoren Masters CL6/Vandoren MO/L�g�re Signature Series 3

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They only did that on the 62II for a very short time. The logic is that all 62s/875EXs/82Zs are created equal. I always think of the "2" as a bug fix update. With a couple of exceptions, those being the 62II and the YSS-475II, which actually were pretty substantial upgrades.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian1 View Post
    I've never seen a 62 with the series stamped before.
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Current setups:
    Yamaha YSS-875EX, Selmer Soloist D, Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Yamaha YAS-875EXS, Selmer Air Flow C*, Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Buffet S1 Silver Plate Tenor, Selmer Air Flow C*, Ishimori lig, Hemke 3.5
    Kessler Solist Bari, Selmer Air Flow C*, BG Tradition lig, Vandoren 3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have seen other 62s like the one linked.

For what it's worth, the saxes marketed as YAS-62III, I think have warranty sheets that say YAS-62//04. I wonder if this oddity also applied to previous iterations of the 62 horns.

Another oddity is that the YAS-62II horns with G1 necks and circle logo, etc. as you describe don't (usually?) have II stamped on the body.

I'd be curious to learn more about the history of these oddities.