Selmer super 80 or series II soprano

Distinguished SOTW Member CashSax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Selmer super 80 or series II soprano

I been thinking I might get one what do you have ?

I am looking for a reasonably priced horn.

Cash's vintage Demo Recordings circa '99-'03 SF Bay Area www.box.net/cashsax

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Selmer super 80 or series II soprano

Quote Originally Posted by CashSax View Post

Hey Cash, have you played one of those? I've owned both the II and the III and I didn't care for either of them. Some people love them and some are like me and don't care at all for them. If I had beaucoup bucks I'd buy a Yani, Yamaha or Keilwerth DL. I have a very inexpensive (comparatively) Antigua Winds soprano that I prefer over both the Selmers that I owned...just some unsolicited input
    My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ghawk78/videos
    Tenor-Viking M60 Valkyrie w/Black Widow 8/Legere Signature:Alto-Yamaha YAS-23 w/Beechler Diamond Inlay S8S
    Soprano-Antigua Winds 590BLQ w/Bari HR .066

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely look into the II over the original SA80 sop, although some of them play very well. Selmer did a great redesign in the serie II and I have my silver plate just over 10 years presently. Before that it was a JK H Couf Superba 1 and then a Yamaha YSS 62R. I feel that the SA80 II sop is superior to both.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly I do favor a Selmer as that is what I am most used to. Mainly I like the substantial feel I guess, I can make it sound OK I think. Btw I have owned a couple of VI's and I owned a II (very briefly) many yrs ago, it got swiped at a gig one night..I don't have much memory of it.

Yrs later I bought a new Silver III, I agree with Greg on that one. I sold it after 3-4 yrs. I was not in love with it. I learned I don't like 2 piece Sops. After that I went through 4-5 cheap Sops all Asian or China, I just need better horn for work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got a good line on a II in Brooklyn NY but the owner won't ship and I live near Vegas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, you might really like a II. A lot of folks do. I would really like to play a Keilwerth DL model. Apparently, they're a bit different from the regular SX90's. Never played one, though.
    My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ghawk78/videos
    Tenor-Viking M60 Valkyrie w/Black Widow 8/Legere Signature:Alto-Yamaha YAS-23 w/Beechler Diamond Inlay S8S
    Soprano-Antigua Winds 590BLQ w/Bari HR .066

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the seller asking for it? There is a really nice one up on EBay now and it’s just under 3k and the make an offer option is in this auction. If you can get it from 2.3 to 2.5K in an offer I’d say you did very well. It took no less than a month and a half for me to realize that the III wasn’t for me. I can categorically state that the II is the best one piece made and having played the JK and the Yamaha for years before and also bearing in mind that these were the designs that Selmer wanted to surpass with the SA80 I & II, mission accomplished.

I got a good line on a II in Brooklyn NY but the owner won't ship and I live near Vegas

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've owned three MKVI's . . . still have two. The ones I have now are great sopranos. I've owned one silver Serie III but I quickly tired off it (can't recall now why - but I moved it on).

I've owned several Yanagisawas (fixed and dual necks, and two curvies) - I still have the curved SC902.

I still have a silver YSS62S in my family - nice enough.

And, a R&C tipped-bell has passed through my closet.

Then there are the vintage 1920's sopranos, two of which I still have (Conn and Martin) and the inexpensive Taiwanese sopranos of various brands (of which I still have one).

All the sopranos I have now are good players and would serve me well on a performance.

I recently spent some time with fellow SOTW "noresponsenecessay" and he had a whole room full of sopranos - Selmer SA80 (the first of that line commonly called Serie One), silver Serie III, JK, curved Yana, and even a King Saxello, to name some. All of his played just fine, although none of them would have separated me from my own sopranos. Of course, our purpose was not to sell or trade, just play with each other's toys.

I guess it all comes down to the individual horn and the way it seals. I've had negative results with Saxellos (including one I owned) but his was VERY nice. Same with the silver Serie III - his was nice, mine was mediocre. His JK was very nice but at the same time, I wasn't knocked out about it - just like all of them, which were all "keepers".

Once again, I caution against making assumptions about a brand/model based on one or more experiences - or reports on the internet.

I realize Cash wants a Serie II and I hope he finds one he likes. I just had to say something about assumptions regarding various brands and models. DAVE
    Dave

Forum Contributor 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Silver Series II I really liked but it had TopTone pads. I played it for a few months but the pads just don't have a solid feel and I couldn't see investing in a repad. Ended up buying a Yani S-900 on a whim - lowball offer that was accepted and it's been with me for a year and a half - a record in my soprano world.

Good Luck with your search.

Tenor - '61 Mark VI w/Tenny Slant Tone Edge 8
    Alto - '66 Mark VI/Meyer 6/Caravan
    Soprano - '93 Yani S-900 w/Tenney Tone Edge 7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CashSax please respond to my PM, thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well gang I think I scored a horn, stay tuned..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dave Dolson : " and the inexpensive Taiwanese sopranos of various brands (of which I still have one). "... May you, please tell me with inexpensive Taiwanese Soprano could I buy on my limited budget ( $600-$700) that could be a good player?
    I appreciate your recommendation
    Best wishes
    Primary Interest : Tenor Saxophone with Yamaha tenor Sax YTS-275 (Otto Link STM NY 6* ( Ref. by Mojo),
    Gulf Instruments Mark Soprano Saxophone ( Dukoff 7*),Geimenhardt flute

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Antigua’s come to mind. I had a 590LC which was a good player. I once was gifted an Arbiter which I recall was made by the folks who make Jupiter that was impressive. The Arbiter was sold in the UK. I gave it to a local high school not too long ago.

I still have what I THINK is an Antigua-made MKVI copy labeled KUSTOM that plays pretty good. There are other Asian-made (but not Taiwanese or Japanese) that I’ve played that were good - Kessler’s house-brand comes to mind. I suppose there are several brand names around, though. DAVE
    Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found a Series II soprano, I have struck a deal and should have it soon. Humbardi, Dave has great suggestions, I bought a Taishan Venus curved Soprano yrs ago, I wouldn't put it on a "pro" level but I played plenty of gigs with it, was a good little horn anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

many thanks to CashSax and Dave Dolson... I am searching the web looking for this instruments.. thanks again
    Primary Interest : Tenor Saxophone with Yamaha tenor Sax YTS-275 (Otto Link STM NY 6* ( Ref. by Mojo),
    Gulf Instruments Mark Soprano Saxophone ( Dukoff 7*),Geimenhardt flute

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deal did not work out..I am back on the hunt. Super 80 or Series II Sop, silver OK

Cash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear that this deal fell through. Hope you find one soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi. I was going to reply yo this post earlier, but then I saw that you thought you had one lined up already. I have a SA80II for sale on ebay now. It is probably the same one that an earlier respondent to this thread was referring to (listed at BIN$2999.99/best offer). There is definitely some wiggle room on the price (more so for a direct sale via SOTW). PM me if you have any interest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1958SelmerMarkVI View Post
    Hi. I was going to reply yo this post earlier, but then I saw that you thought you had one lined up already. I have a SA80II for sale on ebay now. It is probably the same one that an earlier respondent to this thread was referring to (listed at BIN$2999.99/best offer). There is definitely some wiggle room on the price (more so for a direct sale via SOTW). PM me if you have any interest.

Your PM box is full