Sax on the Web Forum banner

Overtones/Alternate Fingering - Brecker-ish A short video

5K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  14470 
#1 ·
I recorded this on my iPhone this morning. Many of you probably already know this but for those just getting into using overtone fingerings or alternate fingerings, this may save you a ton of time. Again - no haters. It was one take without really any planning - just wanted to share.

Here's the Video:

#3 ·
That was cool- I kind of hit them by mistake sometimes so it helps to know how to add those more intentionally.

#10 ·
Nice video, simple and yet super effective. Just a quick question, do you always depress the octave key? I know that I should be able to produce second overtone (G with a C fingered for example) with the octave key but for me it's a lot easier without it but then it's not easy to go back and forth between the two fingering then.

#11 ·
I use the octave key for this type of lick. True overtones exercises wouldn't require the octave key. My friend and sax mentor Bob Franceschini will sometimes play middle register notes without the octave key to fatten up the sound. For a real work-out try to play the lower octave with the octave key - that takes some deep breathing.

#12 ·
thanks for sharing this. it's really cool when i get to learn new tricks like this. Maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks

#17 ·
"Hopefully I just saved you a couple years of life." I think you did, and thank you for that!

I guess I knew a couple of these, which I'd hit upon accidentally, but I never grasped the pattern underneath it all until you showed how to move up chromatically like that. Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.