The Soprano choice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Soprano choice

Hi guyssss!

from lots of years I used to play my tenor. I Always wanted to listen to the tenor sound, music, players etc. I used very seldom to listen to some alto players and never and never the soprano players and music. For me the soprano was a ****ing horrible flute with a terrible and nasal sound. Its players had to be some frustrated guys that for some illogical reasons didn't want to play a real sax.

Then three years ago I tried a soprano. I've been a bit touched by the action, the shape, dimension and I decided to buy a modern one to try it for some time. I used it 3/4 times in 2 years! My tenor always won on this little toy and for me the time on the soprano was simply "wasting time".

I wanted to sell it but everytime someone called me to see the instrument I took out some stupid excuses not to sell it. 6 months ago I decided to put the tenor in the case and try exclusively for some months the soprano! WOOOOOAAAAAA after some weeks it entered in my veins. I started to play better than my tenor. I started playing more interesting patterns. I've been blown away by its strongness. The position with all the Keys in front of my eyes was fantastic and for some reason it gives you the idea to have a phisic connection between your brain and the sax (I use to play a straight one).

At the end from 6 months I'm using exclusively my soprano and every time I try the tenor I come back playing my "small toy". I enjoy much more with it! Last week I bought a straight Buescher TT 1926 in great conditions and now I'm (if possible) much more satisfied !
    I started to listen to Steve Lacy, Bob Wilber, Sidney Beschet... Bob Wilber is a real master ! I also started listening to lots of trumpet players like Miles Davis, Chet Backer, Clifford Brown.. sometimes I find the Soprano much closer to the trumpet than the sax.. I like playing it as Chet plays its trumpet and it works much more than the tenor! I prefear the linearity of Wilber than the virtuosity of Liebman.

What happened to me?? Am I ill ?! Wich disease is this? How could it happen?!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Soprano choice

You've been sop'd. You may have a genetic predisposition, or perhaps you endured a traumatic event with a big horn in a previous life.

Regardless, if it gives you joy, then embrace it.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is why we need a "like" button.

I like both of the comments and have nothing else to add.
    Robert Steinberg
    Piano, Saxophone, MidiOpera.com

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StuartSax View Post
    This is why we need a "like" button.

I like both of the comments and have nothing else to add.
    +1!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ziubelu View Post
    Its players had to be some frustrated guys that for some illogical reasons didn't want to play a real sax.
    Trapped in darkness!

At the end from 6 months I'm using exclusively my soprano and every time I try the tenor I come back playing my "small toy". I enjoy much more with it! Last week I bought a straight Buescher TT 1926 in great conditions and now I'm (if possible) much more satisfied !
    You now have achieved enlightenment.

Look at it this way: If the soprano sax really had nothing special to offer to players, even those who already love other saxophones, it wouldn't have endured the way it has. It wouldn't have become gradually more popular in jazz, classical, and pop music. It would have become more like ... the sopranino.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ziubelu: I caught the same disease in 1956 - and it consumed me. I play it more like a trumpet than a saxophone, too. DAVE
    Dave