Sax on the Web Forum banner

Love my new Martin!

5K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Rodney007@live.com 
#1 ·
I recently picked up a 1949-1950 Martin Committee Tenor and am really enjoying its smooth, mellow sound. I hadn't played the tenor in nearly 30 years, recently started private lessons and am really enjoying my return to the instrument. I'd welcome your thoughts on Martins and adults returning to saxophone lessons, practice and play. Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
I recently picked up a 204xxx The Martin after playing more than a year on a completely rebuilt Indiana (my previous and only other tenor was a 61 Buffet SDA). I'm still getting used to it. Harmonics aren't speaking as well for me, it probably needs a tune up, lighten some of the action etc. Also noticed only a couple pads (replacements) have resonators, the rest are plain pads. It's loud and the sound is more complex than the Indiana. First real gig with it this coming weekend so we shall see how she rocks and rolls. HR Berg .110 and Rico Royal 2.5

#5 ·
I Recently got a 1954 "The Martin" (Committee III tenor- 188xxx) from my local music store. I consider it as one of my wisest investments on a sax! It came with newer pads with metal resonators and regulation, and a great condition full leather Reunion Blues gig bag. It's the perfect tenor horn for me to take for travel, practice, and for sax lessons (I did not want to take my more expensive King Super 20 for those needs). It is truly a great value horn. I actually prefer the warm, mellow, ringing sound of The Martin (compared to my other tenors). I also find the tenor sax more pleasing to play, more forgiving than the soprano sax (for me), though its heavier than any size saxes I have. For that reason, I use a Sax Holder, a harness, or a Just Joe's strap to avoid neck and upper back pain.

With regards to lessons, practice, and playing, like you, I am finally taking weekly sax lessons from a pro after years of self study. I wish I have done it sooner. I have committed myself to stick to the tenor strictly for now, and not touch my other saxes. I find analyzing and playing solo transcriptions with my teacher -who also plays the tenor sax mostly (then practicing those solos at home) and trying to do transcribing, as the best methods (for me at least) to get the most out of my lessons. I am trying to improve on my sight reading after years of "playing by ear". I am fortunate to have a teacher that accommodates and adjust to my needs.

Congratulations on your new horn and your return to playing the sax and welcome to the forum!

#6 ·
Hi Saxymatt, I'm in pretty much the same position, picked up a '38 Comm I Skyline tenor, enrolled in some private lessons at JCCC and am really enjoying both. I don't have enough experience to give you the lowdown on Martins, but can say I really like the smooth, mellow sounds of mine.
It's pretty apparent to me that you can't learn the sax by yourself, so the lessons are a must and the sooner you play with others the better. I live in OP, so maybe someday we'll meet up.

#7 ·
A great horn for your situation. A very free-blowing horn with good intonation.
Regarding your return to the saxophone: What a great time to do such a thing! Youtube and backing tracks and an on-line community that has loads of great advice. The only thing that is troubling is that we didn't have these resources as kids.
Have a teriffic time of it!

#9 ·
Thanks for your reply, Bill Mecca! Let us know how the gig this weekend goes on your Martin Committee.

#19 ·
Gig went well, I had more issues with my new wireless (remember to unmute dork!) but having issues. I love the feel and sound of the horn, but I think it needs a look see. my altissimo is very limited but while I can hit what I can hit solid and full on my Martin Indiana, it's sketchy (and squealy) on The Martin. Leak lighted it, but it seems leak free, so need a real tech to look.

#10 ·
Interesting, click. What is your tech thrilled about re. your older model stencil? Interested in learning more about Martins. Thank you in advance for your reply!

#11 ·
Thank you for your wise insight and counsel, ramcast! I likewise seem to be liking the sound of my 1949-50 Martin "The Committee" Committee III tenor better than my 1981-82 Selmer Super Action 80. I appreciate our thoughts on practice and warm forum welcome.

#22 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.