Loudest bari mouthpiece?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Loudest bari mouthpiece?

I've been using a rico metalite m9 refaced to a .130 opening on my bari for marching band in highschool , and I'm looking to upgrade before I go to college in the fall. The college I'm going to doesn't provide school baris, so I'll likely be the only bari player. I want a loud, good mouthpiece that can make me stand out in the 350 or so member band. I've heard good things about Vandoren B95s, RPCs, and Lamberson DDs, and the Jody Jazz Jet looks promising as well. Has anybody played any of these, or have other suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Loudest bari mouthpiece?

Quote Originally Posted by Karou Fox View Post
    I've been using a rico metalite m9 refaced to a .130 opening on my bari for marching band in highschool , and I'm looking to upgrade before I go to college in the fall. The college I'm going to doesn't provide school baris, so I'll likely be the only bari player. I want a loud, good mouthpiece that can make me stand out in the 350 or so member band. I've heard good things about Vandoren B95s, RPCs, and Lamberson DDs, and the Jody Jazz Jet looks promising as well. Has anybody played any of these, or have other suggestions?
    I don't normally post plugs for my own products, but I recently got this wornderful and amusing customer feedback for the PPT Hooligan model, so I think you may find the information useful, maybe depending on your attitude towards the neighbours' cats.

The best analogy I can offer for this mouthpiece is that someone has just given me the keys to an F1 car to drive around the neighbourhood, a lot of very naughty fun but I fear I may have run over the neighbour's cat...(all sounds inclusive!)
    TamingTheSaxophone.com saxophone website & tutorials
    Tone Without Tears: how to practise long notes without getting bored | IMPRO FOR BEGINNERS |DVD & TUTORIALS | BACKING TRACKS | AUDIO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PPT and also Berg Larsen would be worth adding to the list in my opinion.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll have to look into the PPT hooligan more. It certainly looks like a good mouthpiece, though I haven't heard much about it.

I've heard from a few players that berg larsons aren't for everyone, so I'm reluctant to buy one without trying one first. I'll look around to see if anyone has a larsen I can borrow.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Drake Contemporary I for bari that projects well, is loud. And never discount a Lawton metal 6/7/8 BB for bari for LOUD. Lastly, a Theo Wanne Durga may be louder than all of these.
    "Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference." - quote attributed to Winston Churchill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd love a durga, but I don't have $800 to spend on a mouthpiece. My budget is $300 usd, so your other two suggestions are a little out of my range as well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'll have to look into the PPT hooligan more. It certainly looks like a good mouthpiece, though I haven't heard much about it.
    You won't have done, we are a teeny tiny non profit company with no marketing department.
    TamingTheSaxophone.com saxophone website & tutorials
    Tone Without Tears: how to practise long notes without getting bored | IMPRO FOR BEGINNERS |DVD & TUTORIALS | BACKING TRACKS | AUDIO

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Runyon Quantum Smooth Bore Spoiler in a 12 facing. It is a CANNON. I like my bari pieces loud and bright. I had a Berg 120/0, but this one seems twice as obnoxious and loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current setups:
    Yamaha YSS-875EX, Selmer Soloist D, Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Yamaha YAS-875EXS, Selmer Air Flow C*, Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Buffet S1 Silver Plate Tenor, Selmer Air Flow C*, Ishimori lig, Hemke 3.5
    Kessler Solist Bari, Selmer Air Flow C*, BG Tradition lig, Vandoren 3

Distinguished SOTW Member 1saxman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you should stick with the mouthpiece you're used-to. I'm sure a .130 can produce plenty of volume. It is completely unexpected and probably undesired by the director for the baritone sax to stand out in a 350-piece marching/concert band. You probably already are playing loud enough and although you might be able to squeeze a little more volume out of it with a different mouthpiece, you also might lose some depth in your tone which is critical for the baritone sax in a band environment. Obviously you know that the baritone sax in band/orchestra follows the bass line to a great degree, and penetrating projection on the low notes is extremely difficult and basically pointless, particularly on the field or street.
    However, I have to admit, when I was 13 and plying the only baritone in the band, it was a Martin with a Brilhart Ebolin 5#, and I could hear myself on the 'oom-pahs' echoing off the brick school building about 250 yards away. But this was a much smaller band and much younger kids. When you get with 350 hard-blowing college people, especially in a crowded stadium, there is no way you can manage to stand out without amplification. You could give yourself a hernia or other injury just trying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just play a #5 reed and you'll be okay.
    "My music is the spiritual expression of what I am, My Faith, My Knowledge, My Being." - John Coltrane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are not able to get the volume you want out of your current high baffle piece with 0.130" facing, the problem is not in the mouthpiece. You need to learn to blow through the thing. Go out in a field and do your tone building exercises there, with nothing to reflect the sound back to you. Get out of the practice room and you'll get out of that practice room sound.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post

I think you should stick with the mouthpiece you're used-to. I'm sure a .130 can produce plenty of volume. It is completely unexpected and probably undesired by the director for the baritone sax to stand out in a 350-piece marching/concert band. You probably already are playing loud enough and although you might be able to squeeze a little more volume out of it with a different mouthpiece, you also might lose some depth in your tone which is critical for the baritone sax in a band environment. Obviously you know that the baritone sax in band/orchestra follows the bass line to a great degree, and penetrating projection on the low notes is extremely difficult and basically pointless, particularly on the field or street.
    However, I have to admit, when I was 13 and plying the only baritone in the band, it was a Martin with a Brilhart Ebolin 5#, and I could hear myself on the 'oom-pahs' echoing off the brick school building about 250 yards away. But this was a much smaller band and much younger kids. When you get with 350 hard-blowing college people, especially in a crowded stadium, there is no way you can manage to stand out without amplification. You could give yourself a hernia or other injury just trying.
    I hadn't thought of that. Do you think it would be a good idea to pay to have the chamber on my current mouthpiece enlarged instead of buying a new mouthpiece? My bari is a conn 12m, and the rico mouthpiece plays nearly half a step sharp on most notes in the upper register.

SOTW Lead Administrator SAXISMYAXE's Avatar
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J.Max View Post
    I have a Runyon Quantum Smooth Bore Spoiler in a 12 facing. It is a CANNON. I like my bari pieces loud and bright. I had a Berg 120/0, but this one seems twice as obnoxious and loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That was going to be my suggestion as well.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robbieg View Post
    Just play a #5 reed and you'll be okay. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forum.saxontheweb.net/images/smilies/icon_thumleft.gif[/IMG]
    Maybe if I was superman. That's like slapping a tree branch onto a mouthpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
    If you are not able to get the volume you want out of your current high baffle piece with 0.130" facing, the problem is not in the mouthpiece. You need to learn to blow through the thing. Go out in a field and do your tone building exercises there, with nothing to reflect the sound back to you. Get out of the practice room and you'll get out of that practice room sound.
    I'm plenty loud on my current mouthpiece. I can be heard over the 9 sousaphones in our marching band when I really blow. I just wanted to see if there are louder and better mouthpieces out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J.Max View Post
    I've heard of the runyon quantums, but I've never seen one with the spoiler. I'll keep my eyes open for one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    I don't normally post plugs for my own products, but I recently got this wornderful and amusing customer feedback for the PPT Hooligan model, so I think you may find the information useful, maybe depending on your attitude towards the neighbours' cats.

The best analogy I can offer for this mouthpiece is that someone has just given me the keys to an F1 car to drive around the neighbourhood, a lot of very naughty fun but I fear I may have run over the neighbour's cat...(all sounds inclusive!)
    I would love to hear some soundclips of the Hooligan mouthpiece.
    Conn 10M '36
    Conn New Wonder '24 tenor
    Allen 20TD, Brilhart Hard Rubber 4*, Dukoff D9

Distinguished SOTW member/
    Official SOTW Sister
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Testosterone poisoning.
    If you can't play loudly with your current mouthpiece you had better give it up.
    Old reed players are like fine wine. They only get better with age. Tom Hagen

Play the Music, not the instrument.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bandmommy View Post
    Testosterone poisoning.
    If you can't play loudly with your current mouthpiece you had better give it up.
    I can peel the paint off of walls with my current mouthpiece. I'm just wondering if there's a mouthpiece that can give a little more volume, or at least sound better. My m9 is loud, but it doesn't sound good, especially compared to my concert mouthpiece.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can peel the paint off of walls with my current mouthpiece. I'm just wondering if there's a mouthpiece that can give a little more volume, or at least sound better. My m9 is loud, but it doesn't sound good, especially compared to my concert mouthpiece.
    If you pick a moderately open MP of moderate design, and choose medium reeds, and learn how to blow through the thing, not at it, you can have both loudness and quality of sound, with the added advantage of being able to play softly. Unfortunately, you have to put in the hours of practice to get there.

If you make that commitment then rather ordinary mouthpieces like Otto Link, Meyer, Berg Larsen, Vandoren, etc., will serve just fine. I play a Meyer #8, and I used to play a Vandoren of about the same size, and have never wanted more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
    If you pick a moderately open MP of moderate design, and choose medium reeds, and learn how to blow through the thing, not at it, you can have both loudness and quality of sound, with the added advantage of being able to play softly. Unfortunately, you have to put in the hours of practice to get there
    I'd practice hours a day if I could, but lugging a giant 30 pound / 14 kilogram box to and from school every day isn't easy to do. It barely fits in my car.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast