Loudest bari mouthpiece? - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loud 'n proud might not be the best way to win friends and influence people. Blending in would probably be a better strategy. College band ain't T.O.P.
    My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ghawk78/videos
    Tenor-Viking M60 Valkyrie w/Black Widow 8/Legere Signature:Alto-Yamaha YAS-23 w/Beechler Diamond Inlay S8S
    Soprano-Antigua Winds 590BLQ w/Bari HR .066

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Loudest bari mouthpiece?

Quote Originally Posted by Karou Fox View Post
    I've heard of the runyon quantums, but I've never seen one with the spoiler. I'll keep my eyes open for one.
    You used to be able to buy the spoiler separately. With all of the chaos around Runyon, I don’t know if that is still possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current setups:
    Yamaha YSS-875EX, Selmer Soloist D, Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Yamaha YAS-875EXS, Selmer Air Flow C*, Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Buffet S1 Silver Plate Tenor, Selmer Air Flow C*, Ishimori lig, Hemke 3.5
    Kessler Solist Bari, Selmer Air Flow C*, BG Tradition lig, Vandoren 3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd practice hours a day if I could, but lugging a giant 30 pound / 14 kilogram box to and from school every day isn't easy to do. It barely fits in my car.
    Maybe your investment should be in a protec case with backpack straps instead of a new mouthpiece then.
    "My music is the spiritual expression of what I am, My Faith, My Knowledge, My Being." - John Coltrane

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2008
    and no fun title
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have such intense desire to be the loudest in the marching band... you picked the wrong instrument.

Making the bari stand out is a good way to get on the director's bad side quick, especially in a band that size. Go for the tone man! And if you want to be the loudest, learn a brass instrument. I marched several years of lead trumpet parts, and my back thanks me as well for leaving the bari at home. You'll also get more projection and notice in the alto or tenor section of the band. Most colleges don't march bari saxes anyway.

It does sound like your Metalite is not a good match for your horn though with the intonation issues you mentioned. Get something that matches better and go for the tone, not the volume!
    Martin D. Williams
    Yeah, I did that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robbieg View Post
    Maybe your investment should be in a protec case with backpack straps instead of a new mouthpiece then.
    That's not a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Williams View Post
    If you have such intense desire to be the loudest in the marching band... you picked the wrong instrument.

It does sound like your Metalite is not a good match for your horn though with the intonation issues you mentioned. Get something that matches better and go for the tone, not the volume!
    I know bari isnt the loudest instrument, but it's what I'm good at and what I enjoy. Besides, people don't always expect a loud bari, and it's fun to suprise them. And I'll look for tone as well as volume from now on. My old bundy large chamber mouthpiece is perfectly in tune and sounds beautiful, but has no projection. I'll try looking for a loud large chamber mouthpiece.

Forum Contributor 2013-15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found the Vandoren V16 to be the best compromise.
    https://www.amazon.com/Vandoren-SM83...one+mouthpiece

The Rousseau Jazz is quite close, and cheaper.
    https://www.amazon.com/Eugene-Rousse.../dp/B0002EWR14

However, the V16 did a better job in keeping the higher notes sounding fatter and in tune with less work.

Both could get loud enough to mix it up with the trombones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by click View Post
    I found the Vandoren V16 to be the best compromise.
    https://www.amazon.com/Vandoren-SM83...one+mouthpiece

The Rousseau Jazz is quite close, and cheaper.
    https://www.amazon.com/Eugene-Rousse.../dp/B0002EWR14

However, the V16 did a better job in keeping the higher notes sounding fatter and in tune with less work.

Both could get loud enough to mix it up with the trombones.
    If the OP is using a metalite and wants something louder, I think he would find both of those a major let down.
    "My music is the spiritual expression of what I am, My Faith, My Knowledge, My Being." - John Coltrane

Forum Contributor 2013-15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robbieg View Post
    If the OP is using a metalite and wants something louder, I think he would find both of those a major let down.
    Well, I was going to write to say that I had not found a louder mpc than my metalite, but that I had some trouble with it in the upper register.

Then he wrote to say that he had trouble keeping the metalite in tune.

What to do?

Having gone down that road myself, I posted the compromise that worked best for me.

Distinguished SOTW member/
    Official SOTW Sister
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can peel the paint off of walls with my current mouthpiece. I'm just wondering if there's a mouthpiece that can give a little more volume, or at least sound better. My m9 is loud, but it doesn't sound good, especially compared to my concert mouthpiece.
    My son-in-law uses a Metalite 7 on my old Buescher 400.
    He can 'peel paint' or blow a rich and mellow ballad with it.
    The problem with sounding bad may be you and not the Metalite.
    If you can't control and manipulate the sound of that piece maybe you should use your 'concert mouthpiece' for everything.
    FWIW... One bari in a 350 member band isn't going to be heard anyway.
    Old reed players are like fine wine. They only get better with age. Tom Hagen

Play the Music, not the instrument.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For your intonation issues, maybe you're having trouble controlling such a wide tip opening. Why not try something a little smaller? M5 is .100", M7 is .110", and a stock M9 is .120". Maybe a smaller tip/harder reed would bring your intonation into check.

Also, I've recently picked up M5, M7, M9, and M11 alto pieces, and M5 and M7 tenor pieces, and have found the smaller tips to actually be brighter and effortlessly louder than the more open tips. With a little practice any of the tips can go medium-dark to not-quite-Mindi-Abair bright, but the smaller tips (to me anyway) lean brighter by default. For the price it's certainly worth getting one each of all three current production facings, and spend the rest on a new case!
    Soprano - Antigua Winds 590-BC JodyJazz Classic 7, Fibracell; Rascher, Legere Signature, Rovner Dark
    Alto - Yamaha YAS-875EXB JodyJazz Classic 9, Legere Studio Cut, Rovner Dark; Rascher, Legere Classic, Francois Louis
    Tenor - Yamaha YTS-62 JodyJazz Classic 12, Legere Studio Cut, Rovner Light; Rascher, Legere Classic, Francois Louis

Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been using a rico metalite m9 refaced to a .130 opening on my bari for marching band in highschool , and I'm looking to upgrade before I go to college in the fall. The college I'm going to doesn't provide school baris, so I'll likely be the only bari player. I want a loud, good mouthpiece that can make me stand out in the 350 or so member band.
    You won't stand out - accept that. The balance of the band is not your responsibility. Play well and go with it.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eulipion2 View Post
    For your intonation issues, maybe you're having trouble controlling such a wide tip opening. Why not try something a little smaller? M5 is .100", M7 is .110", and a stock M9 is .120". Maybe a smaller tip/harder reed would bring your intonation into check.
    I don't think the tip opening is the problem. I've tried playing my friend's ybs 61 with my m9, and it's perfectly in tune on that saxophone, and the high notes sound a little better, but my friend has a grafonite b7, so I'll try that and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
    You won't stand out - accept that. The balance of the band is not your responsibility. Play well and go with it.
    Even if I don't stand out, every member has to pull their own weight. I want to be able to at least contribute to the sound of the band.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if I don't stand out, every member has to pull their own weight. I want to be able to at least contribute to the sound of the band.
    True, but your obligation is 1/350. If you want to be louder and have a greater impact, play drums. Seriously. I marched bass drum through high school and college - THAT is something that you can hear.
    Go for The Tone,

g

Forum Contributor 2008
    and no fun title
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best way to do that is to be a part of the band sound and not fight against it to stand out. When the crowd hears the band, that's what they want to hear. Not just YOU.
    Martin D. Williams
    Yeah, I did that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd practice hours a day if I could, but lugging a giant 30 pound / 14 kilogram box to and from school every day isn't easy to do. It barely fits in my car.
    Well, I understand that many of us can't practice as much as we want or need to, but equipment is rarely a successful substitute for it.

I'm about forty years older than you and I carry a Conn baritone in its wood hard shell case, so I reckon you can manage it, being young and springy. If the schlep is too long, get a fold-up two wheel dolly and a couple bungee cords at the hardware store.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eulipion2 View Post
    Last evening I measured my Meyer and it's about 0.108" opening. I am thinking that if someone who has been primarily playing baritone since about 1985 is using that kind of facing, a 17 year old will probably find a .130 pretty hard to control.

Back to blowing through the horn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
    Last evening I measured my Meyer and it's about 0.108" opening. I am thinking that if someone who has been primarily playing baritone since about 1985 is using that kind of facing, a 17 year old will probably find a .130 pretty hard to control.
    An open mouthpiece is what I'm comfortable with playing. I switched to my m9 from a yamaha 5c, and it felt more natural to play and easier to blow through than the 5c, though it was a little difficult at first. The 5c had just as many intonation issues as my m9 does, so I don't think it's a problem with the tip opening, and I don't think the problem is entirely me. I can play my m9 mostly in tune on a more modern bari, and my old large chamber bundy mouthpiece is perfectly in tune on my conn 12m, which makes me think it's more of an issue with vintage baris having intonation problems with smaller chamber mouthpieces.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be also aware of the dangers of having a horn that size in the bleachers. Horns take a beating.

College only last 11 years, but a damaged horn is forever (or expensive to repair).
    Go for The Tone,

g

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
    Be also aware of the dangers of having a horn that size in the bleachers. Horns take a beating
    I've realized that. My bari isn't exactly in mint condition anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I reading correctly, that you are playing a Metalite .130" on a Conn 12M, and you want a louder setup?

Dude, there IS no louder setup.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast