Overhaul Dilema

Thread: Overhaul Dilema

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Overhaul Dilema

I have a MVI and a MVII that have been sitting for about 20 years and need an overhaul. I can only afford to have one done. The VI had been overhauled before it was bought in 1972 and was handled pretty rough through 1978. The VII was a college horn and spent lots of time in many honky tonks and has the battle wounds that go with that. As far as playing, the VI was much easier to play altissimo, the VII had a great classical sound. Which one would get the vote of my fellow sax friends? I live in NW Louisiana and don't really know of a repair guy around here, who would be best to ship it to for around a 1500.00 overhaul.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Overhaul Dilema

I recommend shipping it to Saxquest in St. Louis, they did a great overhaul on my old 6M. The price should be significantly lower than your $1500 target.

https://www.saxquest.com/repair-shop/saxophone-repair

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by percy3 View Post
    I have a MVI and a MVII that have been sitting for about 20 years and need an overhaul. I can only afford to have one done. The VI had been overhauled before it was bought in 1972 and was handled pretty rough through 1978. The VII was a college horn and spent lots of time in many honky tonks and has the battle wounds that go with that. As far as playing, the VI was much easier to play altissimo, the VII had a great classical sound. Which one would get the vote of my fellow sax friends? I live in NW Louisiana and don't really know of a repair guy around here, who would be best to ship it to for around a 1500.00 overhaul.
    What are your needs? What music do you play now?

Get one overhauled now, and the other in a couple more years.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul Maslin from PM Woodwind in Evanston IL does great overhauls. People ship to him all of the time. His repair work is stellar

Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you donít mind shipping to California, Les Arbuckle would likely do both horns for close to your budget. Of course extensive dent or additional work would add to that. Heís done several of my horns, which all turned out great.
    B&S 2001 Tenor and a B&S Medusa Goldbrass Alto

Forum Contributor 2007-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you answered your own question with the Altissimo versus classical comment. If youíre going to be playing Pop, overhaul the VI. If youíre going to be playing classical, overhaul the VII.
    Life is too short for long tones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, sounds like I did....Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

get that vi singing again, will be the better and more versatile bet.
    never a dull moment when playing your horn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are these horns altos or tenors?

Why are you assuming a good overhaul would cost $1,500? In my area, the price would be about a third of that; maybe somewhat more if there are lots of dents or body damage. Are New York City prices really the norm across the country? (I understand that "name" places such as Music Medic and Tenor Madness are also very expensive.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry K. View Post
    If you donít mind shipping to California, Les Arbuckle would likely do both horns for close to your budget. Of course extensive dent or additional work would add to that. Heís done several of my horns, which all turned out great.
    Great suggestion. Les has done two overhauls for me. Cost for my tenor was $850 but it needed extensive work. I thought it was very reasonable, and his work is top notch.
    Tenor: Yamaha YTS-82z, with V1 Sterling Silver Neck; Yanagisawa T901
    Alto: Yanagisawa A901; Buescher Aristocrat Series 1 (1939~40)
    Soprano: Buescher True-Tone (1924)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would take both horns to the repair shop of your choice and get a written estimate of the repairs needed. Proceed from there.

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best course would be to get them both into good playing condition. But if you can only afford to get one of them overhauled at the present time then this would be my answer:

Looking at it from a financial angle, the VI is worth considerably more than the VII, so you'd be better off having the VI overhauled.

From a player's standpoint, both horns are essentially useless in their present condition, so get the horn you prefer to play overhauled. That's up to you, but I'd bet on the VI.

Since you're asking, my vote is the VI, hands down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The cost was based on research I had done on the web. Complete restoration seemed to run between 900 - 1250 dollars if nothing special was needed. The horns don't have dents, but there are lots of clicking and clacking going on. The VI had a bad overhaul 45 years ago and I figure it will have to have some "special attention". That is where I got the 1500.00 figure from. Sounds like this California man is the place to go.....so VI it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Find a local guy. You could probably get both done a lot cheaper.
    No way I would ship my My Mark VI anywhere and pay $1500. Iíve got a local guy who gets my sax playing and I get it back the same day. The last trip he re-fit the neck, replaced a spring and replaced and seated 7 pads, $75. I took it in at 10am and got it back at 1pm.
    It itís suffered some severe trauma I could see the price being higher. I bought a Selmer USA tenor that had been through the wringer and repaired before I got it. Some seriously expert dent work had been done on it. As I remember the previous owner said a shop in Texas called Fleming had done the repairs. They may be close to you.

Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by percy3 View Post
    The cost was based on research I had done on the web. Complete restoration seemed to run between 900 - 1250 dollars if nothing special was needed. The horns don't have dents, but there are lots of clicking and clacking going on. The VI had a bad overhaul 45 years ago and I figure it will have to have some "special attention". That is where I got the 1500.00 figure from. Sounds like this California man is the place to go.....so VI it is.
    PM me if you'd like the contact information for Les. If I were you I'd get the VI done and if happy with the overhaul and price, get the VII done.
    B&S 2001 Tenor and a B&S Medusa Goldbrass Alto

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whaler View Post
    Iíve got a local guy who gets my sax playing and I get it back the same day. The last trip he re-fit the neck, replaced a spring and replaced and seated 7 pads, $75. I took it in at 10am and got it back at 1pm.
    You're probably right he could get it done locally for a reasonable price, depending on where he lives. But what you describe is far short of an overhaul. I also have a local guy where I can take my horn for minor fixes, along the lines of what you mentioned, usually done while I wait in the coffee shop next door. But if my horn needed a total overhaul (and it sounds like the horns in question do need one), I'd have to leave it for a few days and pay the price.