Which would be a good baritone sax with low Bb? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Which would be a good baritone sax with low Bb?

SaxOnaut is was a real pleasure to have had you at my place (which has been , nowmuch improved in the new house now, so, please, come back for a visit if you are ever around the Netherlands).

Thanks for the recommendation about my Keilwerth which I can reciprocate about your R&C.

Rampone & Cazzani baritones have to be among the most impressive among the new saxophones out there.

I hope that OP funkysaxo will gain much wisdom from all these comments.

Personally, although I am not really a baritone player, I find that low Bb baritones have a certain je ne sais quoi when it comes to sound and perhaps due to the fact that the majority that I have had tend to have a bell flare much wider than the Low A ones, they sound, to my ears, rather more “ powerful” than Low A do.

I understand that reaching that sounding low C could be called for in some rare occasions, but many players have never felt the need for the low A (which can be reached with a couple of stratagems by the way, like having someone to half cover the bell or adding a carton) in years and years when the majority of the baritone saxophones (for sure in the States) were produced without this feature.
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I gave up my Bb Bari (( which I loved ) for a low A Bari , only because I believed I'd need the low A. I finally got that call... A gig with a funk band... I was shocked ... EVERY tune had low As....

You don't seem to have a budget problem... There are lots of great baris out there.

I'll go as far to say that modern baris are perhaps taking modern playing more into consideration .

If your really set on a low Bb horn, Martins and Bueschers are amazing for the money. I'm still trying to justify buying one ))
    SML Revision D Tenor Otto Link Slant Sig 7* Brillhart HR Sakshama Lost Wax Guardala MBII in sterling silver Theo Wanne Wood Ambika 7* Strathon 7* Stan Getz Legend 7*
    R&C curvy soprano Wanne Gaia 8 soprano mouthpiece

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was great information click. I was just about to post and say that my Jupiter JBS-593 Low-A feels like it weighed the same as my Selmer Mark VI Low-Bb Bari, but I guess you basically have the numbers.
    "My music is the spiritual expression of what I am, My Faith, My Knowledge, My Being." - John Coltrane

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robbieg View Post
    That was great information click. I was just about to post and say that my Jupiter JBS-593 Low-A feels like it weighed the same as my Selmer Mark VI Low-Bb Bari, but I guess you basically have the numbers.

I see no reason to doubt the measurements, especially since they seem to agree. But I did not weigh or compile anything. I just assumed that there was a chart like this somewhere, and then searched for it, found it, copied it, and posted it here.

SOTW Lead Administrator SAXISMYAXE's Avatar
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another vote for the Martin Committee III here.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Returning long time member.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks so much. Today my Durga bari mpc arrived, so I am ready to go out and try some baris. I am excited!
    Regards from Stuttgart

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by funkysaxo View Post
    Thanks so much. Today my Durga bari mpc arrived, so I am ready to go out and try some baris. I am excited!
    Regards from Stuttgart
    I’ve answered your PM . Cheers!
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by funkysaxo View Post
    Regards from Stuttgart
    Good luck, have fun. Also take a tuner with you, a Durga is way too expensive of a piece to end up finding out it doesn't play well with the new horn you bought.
    "My music is the spiritual expression of what I am, My Faith, My Knowledge, My Being." - John Coltrane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

true but any new horn mouthpiece combination requires some time for your body to adjust to tuning.

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sax0naut View Post
    I won‘t sell my Super 20…
    Ooooh ...can you at least post a picture, pleeease ?
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

(AdBlock Plus is your Friend https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../adblock-plus/)

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robbieg View Post
    The chart can be interpreted in a few ways. I mean, I basically look at it and see it as saying "there's a difference, generally, but it may not be as significant a difference as one would expect".

This is why I think the 'impression' that the Low A is significantly heavier has something to do with the exterior envelope of the horn itself. They DO 'feel' different, and IMHO have a different relationship with one's field of vision than a low Bb...
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

(AdBlock Plus is your Friend https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../adblock-plus/)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since you are in germany, you could try out the Thomann lowJazz models, which go to low Bb and send it back if you don't like it: https://www.thomann.de/de/thomann_lo...ritone_sax.htm

I always liked the higher priced thomann horns, but did not play one of their baritons yet (despite the cheap TBS 150, which is not bad for the money).

But the loss will be high, if you ever want to sell it (because you need low A for your funk bands)

Grüße in die Landeshauptstadt
    saxes: sop:Yanagisawa S-800/ S-80 F alto:Bauhaus Walstein M2/ B&S metal tenor:Bauhaus Walstein M2/ Marmaduke flutes: picc: YPC 62 fl:Forest/Brannen afl: Altus bfl: W.Wetzel/Cooper clarinets: ebcl: Amati/Riffault cl:Noblet artist/Vandoren B45 bcl: Forest/ Clarc Forbes Debut taragot: Timisua/Zinner bassoon: Selmer Signet/Legère

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JayeLID View Post
    The chart can be interpreted in a few ways. I mean, I basically look at it and see it as saying "there's a difference, generally, but it may not be as significant a difference as one would expect".

This is why I think the 'impression' that the Low A is significantly heavier has something to do with the exterior envelope of the horn itself. They DO 'feel' different, and IMHO have a different relationship with one's field of vision than a low Bb...
    True - I'd also offer that the extra weight, at least in the longer bell, makes the center of gravity and balance different so the distribution of the weight has some bearing as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    I’ve answered your PM . Cheers!
    funkysaxo, I’ve answered your PM but you never replied

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can try our Lupifaro, the same sax played from Lou Marini from the Blues brothers and Mario Marzi from the Scala.
    You can find it in Berlin by "Die Holzblàser" or if you prefere you can come to visit us in Switzerland and you can compare with an original Mark VI from 1949.
    www.phaselus.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Roberto. It sounds great but my maximum budget is 5000€. Maybe I can buy one but only an used one.
    Regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    funkysaxo, I’ve answered your PM but you never replied
    I replied 4 days ago. Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2