Which would be a good baritone sax with low Bb?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34
  1. #1
    Returning long time member.
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Stuttgart - Germany
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Which would be a good baritone sax with low Bb?

    Hi,

    I want to buy a good (with good sound and also intonation) baritone but with low Bb.
    Any advice besides a Mark VI?
    Thanks in advance!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Forum Contributor 2017 because's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which would be a good baritone sax with low Bb?

    How about a few specifics?

    price range? You can go from $500 to $10,000 here
    Horn level? Student? Intermediate? Professional?
    Prefer classic or modern horns?

    What are you currently playing? Is this your first Bari? What is your main horn & brand?

    Help us to help you

  4. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,566
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which would be a good baritone sax with low Bb?

    And why do you prefer a low Bb?

  5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Forum Contributor 2017 because's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which would be a good baritone sax with low Bb?

    Quote Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
    And why do you prefer a low Bb?
    Great point, If you are going to play any of the funk or Motown tunes you need the low A. Increasingly more Big Band charts also call for that A.... besides the fact that it is so fun to play it! When I traded my Bb for an A, the first few times I got it out of the case, I would play the low A & just laugh out loud!

  7. #5
    Distinguished SOTW member/
    Official SOTW Sister
    bandmommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lake Odessa, MI
    Posts
    18,552
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which would be a good baritone sax with low Bb?

    Buescher 400. Heavy but good all around horn when in adjustment.
    Old reed players are like fine wine. They only get better with age. Tom Hagen

    Play the Music, not the instrument.

  8. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,566
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which would be a good baritone sax with low Bb?

    Buescher. Conn. King. Martin. Selmer. SML. Keilwerth. The usual suspects. All of these have their idiosyncracies.
    P. Mauriat I believe makes a low Bb (Taiwan or China, but pretty well respected).

  9. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,566
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which would be a good baritone sax with low Bb?

    Quote Originally Posted by bandmommy View Post
    Buescher 400. Heavy but good all around horn when in adjustment.
    With that giant bell I wouldn't be surprised if a Buescher 400 weighs almost as much as some of the modern low A horns. Great horn, though.

  10. #8
    Distinguished SOTW member/
    Official SOTW Sister
    bandmommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lake Odessa, MI
    Posts
    18,552
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which would be a good baritone sax with low Bb?

    Quote Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
    With that giant bell I wouldn't be surprised if a Buescher 400 weighs almost as much as some of the modern low A horns. Great horn, though.
    My 400 weighs more than the low A Yamaha that I used to borrow from my kids high school.
    'Old Beuford' is a beast.
    Old reed players are like fine wine. They only get better with age. Tom Hagen

    Play the Music, not the instrument.

  11. #9
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2016
    JayeLID's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lost in desert
    Posts
    14,662
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which would be a good baritone sax with low Bb?

    Quote Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
    And why do you prefer a low Bb?
    Quote Originally Posted by because View Post
    Great point, If you are going to play any of the funk or Motown tunes you need the low A. Increasingly more Big Band charts also call for that A.... besides the fact that it is so fun to play it! When I traded my Bb for an A, the first few times I got it out of the case, I would play the low A & just laugh out loud!
    Gonna chime in here....this topic has been discussed ad infinitum elsewhere on this Forum.

    So I am not certain digressing into it here is apropos.

    When I see an OP specifically requesting suggestions on a Low Bb, my assumption is the person has gone thru the consideration and reached their conclusion they want the Low Bb. There are many a reason one might prefer the low Bb (these discussed in other threads as well).
    I am not sure it's worth recycling that convo here.
    Just sayin'....


    Good Low Bb's:

    Vintage (as in traditional vintage keywork) : Buescher, Martin Committees, Holtons, Conn 12M*, Some older Noblets. Kohlert (Germany).

    Modernesque: J. Keilwerth "New King"-type stencils such as the King Tempo or Bundy Special. Vito Dukes or Specials (by Beaugnier). King Super 20. B&S made some low Bb's, too. The more modern Grassis are excellent Low Bb's. Some R&C stencils from the 70's-80's are also very good, albeit hard to identify due to their stencil names.


    (*IMHO a little overrated a model, although possibly considered the most 'classic' of 'em all)
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

    (AdBlock Plus is your Friend https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../adblock-plus/)

  12. #10
    Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    32,427
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which would be a good baritone sax with low Bb?

    https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...itone-(low-Bb)

    This is my Keilwerth Stencil for sale here, they are very appreciated especially in Germany where OP is.



    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

  13. #11
    Returning long time member.
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Stuttgart - Germany
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which would be a good baritone sax with low Bb?

    Quote Originally Posted by because View Post
    How about a few specifics?

    price range? You can go from $500 to $10,000 here
    Horn level? Student? Intermediate? Professional?
    Prefer classic or modern horns?

    What are you currently playing? Is this your first Bari? What is your main horn & brand?

    Help us to help you


    Good questions!
    Price: I don´t know yet. Maybe til 5000.
    Professional level.
    I play as a solist in Blues, Funk, Soul, Pop bands.
    It is my first bari.
    I play a tenor Selmer Ref. 36.

    Regards

  14. #12
    Returning long time member.
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Stuttgart - Germany
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which would be a good baritone sax with low Bb?

    Quote Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
    And why do you prefer a low Bb?
    For me it plays easier, and it is lighter and smaller.

  15. #13
    Distinguished SOTW member/
    Official SOTW Sister
    bandmommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lake Odessa, MI
    Posts
    18,552
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which would be a good baritone sax with low Bb?

    Quote Originally Posted by funkysaxo View Post
    For me it plays easier, and it is lighter and smaller.
    If you say so! Many 'vintage' baritone saxophones are as heavy, or heavier than modern low A horns.
    As for smaller, ~2-3 inches doesn't make that much difference.
    Old reed players are like fine wine. They only get better with age. Tom Hagen

    Play the Music, not the instrument.

  16. #14
    Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012 dexdex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Switzerland/France
    Posts
    2,764
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which would be a good baritone sax with low Bb?

    Quote Originally Posted by funkysaxo View Post
    Good questions!
    Price: I don´t know yet. Maybe til 5000.
    Professional level.
    I play as a solist in Blues, Funk, Soul, Pop bands.
    It is my first bari.
    I play a tenor Selmer Ref. 36.

    Regards
    Sorry to chime in, but considering the music you're targeting, I'd give my vote to a low A horn.
    Sop Yana SC880 - Vandoren V16 S6 - Fiberreed Carbon Classic MH ¦ Alto SA-II - Meyer 7M - Fiberreed Carbon M
    Tenor MkVII - Link STM 8* - Fiberreed Carbon M ¦ Bari SA-II - JJ ESP 7* - Fiberreed Carbon M
    Hear them on The Groove Merchant.

  17. #15
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012
    cymru97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,882
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    This is my Keilwerth Stencil for sale here, they are very appreciated especially in Germany where OP is.
    Those old Keilwerths are some of the best Low Bb horns I’ve played.

  18. #16
    Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    32,427
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which would be a good baritone sax with low Bb?

    Cheers cymru97, they are indeed.

    As Jaye said above they were sold as stencils from so many different companies for a reason.

    I have had a couple of low A baritones in my possession ( Jupiter, Grassi and Weltklang) but I have never had the impression that a Low A baritone could be lighter than a Low Bb baritone.
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

  19. #17
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-15
    click's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,547
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which would be a good baritone sax with low Bb?

    http://www.saxofan.fr/topic4388.html?highlight=

    Saxophone baryton au Bb :

    Conn des 40ty : 5,0 kg (Bar78)
    Conn 12M 1942 : 4.8 kg (Bidulon)
    Conn 12M 1969 : 4,9 kg (piment)
    Conn 1958 : 4,6 kg (rapetou)
    Dolnet: 5,1 kg (Bidulon)
    Dolnet Euphone : 4,2 kg (Byzounours)
    R&C R1 Jazz (sans F#) : 4,9 kg (BulZ)
    Selmer Mark VI (sans F#) : 5,0 kg (Massif),4,8 kg (La tomate qui jazze)



    Saxophone baryton au A :

    Buffet Crampon 400 : 6,0 kg (Adlib99, Buescher27)
    Conn 11M : 5,3 kg (Piment)
    Dolnet Bel Air (custom sans mi ni fa aigu) : 5,5 kg (Pasci)
    Jupiter 593 : 5,1 kg (Tenor38)
    Rampone & Cazzani R1 : 6,0 kg (R&C)
    Selmer Mark VI : 5,2 kg (Koalaman)
    Selmer Mark VII : 5,3 kg (Dany du grot)
    Selmer SA 80 : 5,5 kg (Bbar)
    Selmer SA 80 II : 6,0 kg (Thy31,Menagex) 5,7 kg (Rico)
    Selmer SBA argenté : 5,5 kg (PHIL)
    Yamaha YBS 32 (sans F#) : 5,5 kg (Stadler)
    Yamaha YBS 62 : 5,6 kg (Bidulon)
    Yanagisawa B 900 : 5,6 kg (Chris)

  20. #18
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2016
    JayeLID's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lost in desert
    Posts
    14,662
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which would be a good baritone sax with low Bb?

    And THAT should resolve THAT discussion. Thanks, Click.

    So a fair generalization would be to say most Low A's are gonna be 1-2 pounds heavier than most Low Bb's.

    FWIW...I think they may to some 'seem' significantly heavier just because of the mass of the instrument, the exterior envelope itself, the visual/physical location/position of the bell and all....it might be more a matter of seeming slightly more "unwieldy".

    But again,as the OP stated he's looking for a Low Bb...this side discussion, while perhaps interesting....isn't helping the OP much....
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

    (AdBlock Plus is your Friend https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../adblock-plus/)

  21. #19
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2016
    JayeLID's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lost in desert
    Posts
    14,662
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which would be a good baritone sax with low Bb?

    Quote Originally Posted by funkysaxo View Post
    Good questions!
    Price: I don´t know yet. Maybe til 5000.
    Professional level.
    I play as a solist in Blues, Funk, Soul, Pop bands.
    It is my first bari.
    I play a tenor Selmer Ref. 36.

    Regards
    I'd say if you wanted something NOW, and didn't want to spend your whole budget, look for the Keilwerths. There are usually many around, although I add not in the apparent condition Milandro's appears to be in.

    If you wanted to get it now and were ready to spend your whole budget, a Selmer France.

    If you wanted to take your time and find something pretty special and not very common, the Super 20.


    Interestingly...Rampone Cazzani also apparently still makes a Low Bb...the R1 model. If you are OK with an unlacquered horn or a plated finishes, those might be an option. Superlative saxophones, but probably beyond your price point...
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

    (AdBlock Plus is your Friend https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../adblock-plus/)

  22. #20
    sax0naut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    195
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which would be a good baritone sax with low Bb?

    I recommend the same:

    if you are looking out for getting value for money, have a close look at the Keilwerths.
    The one that milandro offers is in a very good state. He kindly gave me the opportunity to try it out last year, when I visited him, because I was interested in a soprano he offered.

    If you are looking for a modern, exclusive and therefore more expensive alternative you might be interested in the R&C Jazz that I offer at the German forum:

    http://www.saxophonforum.de/threads/...eb-bari.33109/

    I won‘t sell my Super 20…

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •