Sax on the Web Forum banner

Get to try out some mouth pieces

3K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  carl3 
#1 ·
So, I got a nice Martin Indiana Tenor 82121 from a good friend, when I bought it I tried it out with his Jody Jazz 8..it was a hard plastic kinda translucent red, narrow like a metal piece..not sure what it was but wow, it made me buy the horn.
So, I got home & put my Rico graftonite b5 on it and it's kinda stuffy , nice low notes but almost impossible to hit low C unless I sneak up on it.. :line4:mid D is yucky..nothing like his MP

so , he's got a few I can try out

Guardala King Tenor Saxophone Mouthpiece

LA SAX 7

Berg Larsen 95 opening

Vintage Berg Larson 105 1 sms

Herb Couf Artist 3*

Any ideas on which will be closest to the JodyJazz 8 he had???

Wood Camera accessory Handwriting Office supplies Flashlight
Wood Flooring Hardwood Wood stain Auto part
Wood Tool Office supplies Hardwood Auto part
Office supplies Wood Cylinder Gas Drill

See less See more
#3 ·
You are right, of course. But doesn't Jody put his own facing on them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Keep an open mind, there may be more than mouthpiece at play here. First thing I would do is put a leak light down the horn and make sure all the pads are sealing well. The two mouthpieces you reference has significantly different tip openings, so try out a few different reeds as well. If the horn has no leaks, and the reeds make little difference, then look into spending some money on a mouthpiece you like.

#7 ·
Assuming the horn is tight . . . REEDS!! A poor match between a mouthpiece and a reed can turn a great horn into a dog. Sometimes, all it takes is to use a different reed (even of the same brand, cut, and strength), or adjust the reed you are using.

Next, stock out-of-the-box mouthpieces can vary piece to piece, so even if you came up with a different version of the piece that played so well for you, the next one can be less effective. DAVE

#8 ·
yep, I agree. Mitch will let me try a variety of reeds when Im getting a Sax & MP from him so its extra nice to have someone nearby ..Stand up guy, runs the Music Box in Shelby Twp, Mi..Shameless plug, but he's been real patient with me trying stuff:(

#11 ·
Be sure to check your horn's intonation with a tuner as you play the full range of the horn. Some players find that various older horns are somewhat picky about which mouthpieces work well - whether due to the player, key heights, or original design.

#12 · (Edited)
Will do ..good advice.. I cant wait to get this tenor to sing

Depending on the price of the DG King (that I can try out before buying)

If he wants 280.00 or more I have a line on a Jody giant 8 (but without being able to try it.)

is the Jody Giant 8 (.115 opening) and the DG king (.116 I believe) in the same league?

#13 ·
In that case, why not just go over and try those mpcs out? You might find one of them that you like even better than the Jody Jazz.

Just a note on the photos; a pic of the back (top) of a mpc gives very little info, and yet that's what we usually get in mpc photos. Photos of the open side showing tip, rails, baffle, and chamber are much more useful.

#14 ·
The JJ Giant 8 should be a .110 and it will play more like a bright Slant than the DG King which will have a high baffle and relatively small chamber and be naturally much brighter. Right now you seem to be all over the map. You might want to narrow down the possibilities a bit by thinking about what type of sound you want or what type of music you'll be playing.

#15 ·
I am going to try them all
That way I figure out what I like sound wise

The rico I have I know I dont like, I've tried all out of reeds
I thought that the Jody Jazz website listed the jody giant 8 at .115 I'll have to double check that

The question was is the quality of the JJ Giant on par with the Dave Guardala King

#16 ·
An 8 Jody Jazz Giant is a .110". An 8* is .115".

I've been playing a Giant for several months now and I love it, which is surprising since I haven't gotten along with Jody's other models very well. It's like playing a Link with lots of power in reserve. The Guardala King is a good mouthpiece too but will be a lot brighter and more focused. The Giant, for me, is very versatile.

#21 ·
I currently use a red Jody Jazz "Classic" 12 (old Runyon facing, modern 8), and it's a great piece. If your friend is willing to sell it, I say go for it. I also note you said you have a Rico Graftonite. Have you tried the Metalite? They can be a bit unruly, but if you take the time to tame one (maybe a couple weeks), it might be worth the $25-$30 it costs to buy one new.

And the right reeds make all the difference. I'm a synthetics guy, so I like Legere Studio Cut, Fibracell, and Forestone Black Bamboo. When I used cane, I always had good luck with Lavoz.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.