gold laquer, silver?
    any details may help

Distinguished SOTW Member 1saxman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Mark Vl Stolen in Boston

Plus if you reveal the locality other members might drop in at pawn shops and help you canvass the area. File a police report if you haven't already. Watch ebay and craigslist.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2007-2016

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats horrible----sorry to hear that!!!
    I hope you get it back soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, the size of the saxophone is critical because of the possibility of duplicate serial numbers. DAVE
    Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    Yes

Sadly In a gig bag.. S/N 168627

Contact Bronco

elfstonepublishing@gmail.com
    so sorry is it a Tenor sax ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The more I think about this, the more I'm convinced that scant details like were provided by the OP may cause problems down the road, for us who may see it, and for those who try to take action about it - like the police.

We deserve more information before asking us to be on the lookout for stolen property. I get it that some posters pride themselves on brevity - and this opening post was brief - too brief for any of us to make a fuss if we should come across it.

First of all, I wonder how reliable the original post may be, given that the OP shows himself residing in North Carolina but the post says it was stolen in Boston. Under what circumstances was it stolen? Who had possession of it when it was stolen? Who is the victim? Is the reporting person different from the victim? Is the info second-hand?

And even more importantly, as has been asked already, what kind of a saxophone was it? Mark VI covers a lot of saxophones from 'nino to bass that could have the same serial number. Can it be possible that an officer finds an alto with that number but the subject of THIS theft was a baritone? Yes - I've had that very thing happen to me with firearms.

Maybe the OP didn't know the answers to those questions, but at least explain why he is posting this info for us to get all excited about. A report that a saxophone was stolen doesn't cut it. DAVE
    Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Dolson View Post
    The more I think about this, the more I'm convinced that scant details like were provided by the OP may cause problems down the road, for us who may see it, and for those who try to take action about it - like the police.

We deserve more information before asking us to be on the lookout for stolen property. I get it that some posters pride themselves on brevity - and this opening post was brief - too brief for any of us to make a fuss if we should come across it.

First of all, I wonder how reliable the original post may be, given that the OP shows himself residing in North Carolina but the post says it was stolen in Boston. Under what circumstances was it stolen? Who had possession of it when it was stolen? Who is the victim? Is the reporting person different from the victim? Is the info second-hand?

And even more importantly, as has been asked already, what kind of a saxophone was it? Mark VI covers a lot of saxophones from 'nino to bass that could have the same serial number. Can it be possible that an officer finds an alto with that number but the subject of THIS theft was a baritone? Yes - I've had that very thing happen to me with firearms.

Maybe the OP didn't know the answers to those questions, but at least explain why he is posting this info for us to get all excited about. A report that a saxophone was stolen doesn't cut it. DAVE
    Probably a one-and-done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Certainly sniffed of red flag with the brevity of the OP
    ,,,overrated pleasures, underrated treasures...
    Come visit: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...Track-Ligature Now new and improved!
    As well as: https://www.facebook.com/glovesgofar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mark Vl Stolen in Boston

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    Yes

Sadly In a gig bag.. S/N 168627

Tenor, bought from Washington Music Center in fall, 1970

Contact Bronco

elfstonepublishing@gmail.com
    Tenor bought in Maryland at Washington Music Center

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same serial number? How's that? Are you suggesting that Selmer had parallel serial numbers for each SIZE saxophone such that there could be a tenor and an alto Mark VI with the same number???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I'm saying that is a possibility. I have not checked with Douglas Pipher about that scenario, but I know from personal experience that it happens with name-brand firearms. As I recall, it was a Smith and Wesson handgun and when the serial number came back, the model was completely different from the one I was checking.

At any rate, the original post was deficient in information, and the additional information, while better, is still insufficient in my view to generate much interest here on SOTW.

At least we now know it was a tenor involved. Why does anyone post on here about stolen saxophones? So the saxophone community can be aware of it and possibly come across it in our travels. I, for one, probably would not get too involved if I happened across this particular MKVI tenor unless I knew the circumstances surrounding its theft and who the owner/victim was. And in case anyone is wondering, yes I would get involved if I had what I thought was sufficient information to disrupt someone else's life. DAVE
    Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding duplicate serial numbers and the Selmer company. Doug Pipher told me that there was a block of serial numbers unintentionally duplicated during WW II. My silver Balanced Action Tenor Sax has a lacquered brass twin...and the two were made about a year apart. The lacquered brass horn was made just as Selmer shut down due to the German occupation of Paris in 1940...the silver plated horn was made about a year later in 1941. I'd love to find the lacquered bras twin for sale some time. I suppose that accidental duplications may have happened over the years as well but probably not often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tharruff: That is interesting . . . and even MORE disturbing (at least to me, an old street cop), given that two horns of the same model had the same serial number.

In earlier times, hand-searches of records were the way connections were made to stolen items. And in a hand-search, details like finishes could be a factor. But nowadays, it is all computer-driven and the serial number is the first (and usually only) factor being considered.

That two Selmer tenors with the same number were discovered, the finish may not be an instant factor in deciding whether or not the item was THE stolen item.

Oh well . . . it seems the OP doesn't care, so why should I (or us) at this point. DAVE
    Dave