Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Attention - Changes to the site newsletter

Quote Originally Posted by VSadmin View Post
    The third party in this case is tantamount to a plugin,
    Can you translate that into English ???? This sounds exactly like what happened with Tapatalk, was that "tantamount to a plugin?"

We control your data
    In what way do you have the right to "control" our data? This all seems to be getting more and more like Facebook.

This is being accounted for in regards to privacy laws, including CASL
    Are you able to confirm that CASL allows opt out as opposed to opt in? Everything I have seen about CASL seems to imply that opt in is necessary, and double opt in is ideal? (ie the user opts in and then confirms they have done so.

I'm not trying to be awkward, but your language here is seeming to be rather confusing. Earalier on the reason for opting out as opposed to the preferred opting in was that it would be "easier for members". Maybe this might appear a trifle condescending, especially when those members who do not want to receive unsolicited newsletters would find it eaiser not to receive them in the first place as opposed to receiving something they don't want in their inboxes and then have to unsubscribe.

The easy (and compliant) thing is to send the newsletter to those who want it.
    TamingTheSaxophone.com saxophone website & tutorials
    Tone Without Tears: how to practise long notes without getting bored | IMPRO FOR BEGINNERS |DVD & TUTORIALS | BACKING TRACKS | AUDIO

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    Fully agree (see my post #7).

T : Selmer SBA serial 50xxx (1953) - Otto Link Florida no USA 10* - Rico Plasticover 2
    A : Klingsor serial 016xx (early 60's) - Otto Link STM 9* - Rico Royal 2.5
    SoundClick | SoundClip Index | YouTube | SOTW Blues (Round 8) | Mouthpiece/Sax Pictures

Distinguished SOTW Member PigSquealer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe the best way to execute this is sending out a blast email from VS. Announcing that there is a new weekly newsletter available. Doing so with clarity of how it works and who is involved would bring decency to the new product.Then A invitation to subscribe or opt in.
    VSAdmin had stated their intent to send everybody the newsletter was to stimulate activity from those who have not visited the site in sometime. I would think that in 22 years the site has been active there is an numerous amount of no longer valid email addresses. Those who have passed on as a example. Maybe this is a valid way of doing some housekeeping. It is fair to the sponsors to have accurate numbers and the exposure to the dollar they are spending. Yes I do realize some advertising is necessary to support the site.

Everything in my inbox I have subscribe to or opt in. I do not have one example from a store or otherwise that has been sent to me that I have continued. Everyone has been unsubscribed. I do not appreciate any entity trolling me for information.
    I have deleted Facebook.
    Never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig 🐷

Administrator
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you translate that into English ???? This sounds exactly like what happened with Tapatalk, was that "tantamount to a plugin?"

In what way do you have the right to "control" our data? This all seems to be getting more and more like Facebook.

Are you able to confirm that CASL allows opt out as opposed to opt in? Everything I have seen about CASL seems to imply that opt in is necessary, and double opt in is ideal? (ie the user opts in and then confirms they have done so.

I'm not trying to be awkward, but your language here is seeming to be rather confusing. Earalier on the reason for opting out as opposed to the preferred opting in was that it would be "easier for members". Maybe this might appear a trifle condescending, especially when those members who do not want to receive unsolicited newsletters would find it eaiser not to receive them in the first place as opposed to receiving something they don't want in their inboxes and then have to unsubscribe.

Threadloom is a third party service that we connect to the site, we are then given control to a search and mail server (since we are a network and not a single site) where as tapatalk is itself a separate database and display system wherein they essentially host a mirror of the site for their interface. This leads to my "we control your personal information" point, I can see how I was not clear in that respect. You can edit your personal data as you will, where we control it is in that we do not allow for any threadloom staff to access the data. They do not curate the news letters, we do, they do not have authority over the content or the ability to even see it, we do. They simply provide the tools. Similarly to how the site his hosted on a server that is provided by a company called Softlayer.

Those who fall under CASL would not have been automatically opted in as we are Canada based and thus must be compliant to Canadian users, launch protocols for other countries were confirmed with our legal team and will be reconfigured as needed when GDPR launches in May. I won't speak to the intentions of those who made the decision to be opt out rather than in as I can't, I wasn't party to that discussion. What was said before about easier to out than in references to the fact that; obnoxious though this may seem to be, and I don't have a problem admitting that at all, it's easier to see something in action and then click unsubscribe than it is to see a notice about it like this thread and go through the settings to turn it on

Quote Originally Posted by PigSquealer View Post
    Maybe the best way to execute this is sending out a blast email from VS. Announcing that there is a new weekly newsletter available. Doing so with clarity of how it works and who is involved would bring decency to the new product.Then A invitation to subscribe or opt in.
    VSAdmin had stated their intent to send everybody the newsletter was to stimulate activity from those who have not visited the site in sometime. I would think that in 22 years the site has been active there is an numerous amount of no longer valid email addresses. Those who have passed on as a example. Maybe this is a valid way of doing some housekeeping. It is fair to the sponsors to have accurate numbers and the exposure to the dollar they are spending. Yes I do realize some advertising is necessary to support the site.

Everything in my inbox I have subscribe to or opt in. I do not have one example from a store or otherwise that has been sent to me that I have continued. Everyone has been unsubscribed. I do not appreciate any entity trolling me for information.
    I have deleted Facebook.
    This is essentially what we did only with the addition of announcing it here and in stead of a blast email a live ad free demonstration complete with unsubscribe instructions.

Kyle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope the members of the forum have read this and understand it. I also hope it is as simple as you have expressed and follows the legal guidelines to the appropriate parties. It will be interesting to see how this benefits or detracts from the site. Somehow through automation posting or re-posting the most popular threads of the week does not appear to be news to me. It’s pumping what was popular. If recipients do not read the entire thread and post comments that were previously mentioned it will annoy those who regularly contribute and will leave. This habit exist now but offenders are informed on a regular basis.
    I guess we get to rethink the definition of “News “.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Looks like the US is following the DDPR principle

https://theadminzone.com/threads/as-...rights.147245/

Obviously your newsletter can go out before those laws are in action, but you should realise that those laws reflect what people want, why antagonise your members/customers purely for the sake of satisfying (misguided) marketing departments?
    Tone Without Tears: how to practise long notes without getting bored | IMPRO FOR BEGINNERS |DVD & TUTORIALS | BACKING TRACKS | AUDIO

Administrator
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like the US is following the DDPR principle

https://theadminzone.com/threads/as-...rights.147245/

Obviously your newsletter can go out before those laws are in action, but you should realise that those laws reflect what people want, why antagonise your members/customers purely for the sake of satisfying (misguided) marketing departments?
    This was in the works well before Facebook's debacle and was implemented as such. Have you opted out of the news letter yet?

Kyle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you launch the new newsletter? Nothing in Inbox or junk if you did. If not, what is the release date ?

Administrator
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey there,

This should be implemented already.
    In your general settings, if you set "Do not subscribe" to "Default Thread Subscription Mode:" then you shouldn't be getting the newsletter.

Ed

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey there,

In your general settings, if you set "Do not subscribe" to "Default Thread Subscription Mode:" then you shouldn't be getting the newsletter.

Ed
    That fields is already used for other purposes too.

What happens if you use the setting "Through my control panel only", which I use for getting updates on my followed threads? I want that, but I don't want to get the newsletter.

T : Selmer SBA serial 50xxx (1953) - Otto Link Florida no USA 10* - Rico Plasticover 2
    A : Klingsor serial 016xx (early 60's) - Otto Link STM 9* - Rico Royal 2.5
    SoundClick | SoundClip Index | YouTube | SOTW Blues (Round 8) | Mouthpiece/Sax Pictures

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hey there,

But then you will also not get automatic thread subscription, which you may want but not the newsletter.

Distinguished SOTW member/
    Official SOTW Sister
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This whole thing sounds like a giant clesterfeck....
    Old reed players are like fine wine. They only get better with age. Tom Hagen

Play the Music, not the instrument.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bandmommy View Post
    This whole thing sounds like a giant clesterfeck....
    Is that similar to a fustercluck?

Administrator
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrpeebee View Post
    That fields is already used for other purposes too.

What happens if you use the setting "Through my control panel only", which I use for getting updates on my followed threads? I want that, but I don't want to get the newsletter.
    Yup, I believe if you choose "Through my control panel only" you will only get your subscribed threads and not the newsletter.

Ed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK so what if you want the newsletter but not by email. Say you would like to see it come up on your subscriptions? I don’t see it on the announcement page either

Administrator
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure if I fully follow what you are looking for, but that would be a different system altogether. This plugin will only function though emails.

Kevin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone out there getting this “New Newsletter”?. Any comments?

Distinguished SOTW member/
    Official SOTW Sister
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope. No newsletter in my email yet.
    Old reed players are like fine wine. They only get better with age. Tom Hagen

Play the Music, not the instrument.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bandmommy View Post
    Nope. No newsletter in my email yet.
    Thanks for the news of no news....not one....one is the loneliest number🎶

Administrator
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys,

I've messaged the team in charge of our newsletters to find out what date the newsletters are supposed to come out on. I'll let you know when I hear back.

Niall

Edit - They should be landing today/tomorrow depending on time zones.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast