Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Administrator
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Attention - Changes to the site newsletter

Hello,

We are pleased to announce we are implementing a new method in which we send out site newsletters. The new newsletter will have a cleaner template and sent out to participating forum members once a week. We have added an example below of how it will look. This change will not have any negative impact on members receiving newsletter and will not impact the site with any downtime.

Thank you,

Community Support

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 Budget Explosion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Attention - Changes to the site newsletter

I've been wondering what happened to my Gallbladder newsletter.
    my Combat Jazz album Zebra is now up on iTunes, Amazon and all streaming services.

Selmer Mark VI Tenor Sax

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Administrator
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's something we're doing now. I don't know if there was one previously. Let us know what you think when we roll it out.

Lee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So do I enroll into this or everyone gets it by default?
    Tenor:Amati Toneking, Zagar SBB 8*,Vandoren V16#3 & Java#3,5, Rico Jazz Select 3M
    Alto:Selmer MK VI,B&S,Meyer#6 hard rubber,Vandoren v16#3 & Java#3,5-4
    Soprano:Yanagisava 991, Yanagisava hard rubber#5,ESM#7,Dukoff #6,Vandoren trad.#2-2,5

Administrator
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone will get it at the start by default. You can "Unsubscribe" from it at any time.

Niall

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VSadmin View Post
    Everyone will get it at the start by default. You can "Unsubscribe" from it at any time.

Niall
    Why not doing it the other way around?

This is the typical marketing way of thinking that annoys people a lot (getting email you didn't ask for). IMO that's normal practice for commercial stuff, but not for a forum.

T : Selmer SBA serial 50xxx (1953) - Otto Link Florida no USA 10* - Rico Plasticover 2
    A : Klingsor serial 016xx (early 60's) - Otto Link STM 9* - Rico Royal 2.5
    SoundClick | SoundClip Index | YouTube | SOTW Blues (Round 8) | Mouthpiece/Sax Pictures

Administrator
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it will likely boil down to what is easier for everyone. I think it's generally easier for members to click on an "Unsubscribe" button than to explain the steps that it takes to subscribe. It's also meant to be a way to reach those members who don't come around as often to try to get them to come back to re-visit the site more often. I hope that helps to clarify. Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Cheers,

Erik

Distinguished SOTW Member PigSquealer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it will likely boil down to what is easier for everyone. I think it's generally easier for members to click on an "Unsubscribe" button than to explain the steps that it takes to subscribe. It's also meant to be a way to reach those members who don't come around as often to try to get them to come back to re-visit the site more often. I hope that helps to clarify. Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Cheers,

Erik
    Good answer! Obviously there is been a lot of thought put into this new project. I find it interesting this will be weekly. Itís a lot of work to keep a newsletter going especially the editorial. Many become very dry in content due to the lack of new information. Iím sure the creative department has reviewed a nice blend of vintage and modern content as well.

Iím appointing myself as representative for all members in asking this next question. Do we get a refund for a free subscription we didnít know we were supposed to get. And is this newsletter being distributed by third-party company? Who is responsible for our email addresses and personal information?

Cheers to you success,
    PS🐷
    Never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig 🐷

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think it will likely boil down to what is easier for everyone. I think it's generally easier for members to click on an "Unsubscribe" button than to explain the steps that it takes to subscribe.
    Spam.

I was under the impression many countryís anti spam laws require opt in, not opt out.

I wondered how long it would be before this happened.

Itís bad enough getting all the pop up ads now without getting unsolicited ďnewslettersĒ

Come back Harri!
    TamingTheSaxophone.com saxophone website & tutorials
    Tone Without Tears: how to practise long notes without getting bored | IMPRO FOR BEGINNERS |DVD & TUTORIALS | BACKING TRACKS | AUDIO

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Erik, I understand your arguments and where you're coming from. No objections of course, but I'm just made out of other wood I guess.

T : Selmer SBA serial 50xxx (1953) - Otto Link Florida no USA 10* - Rico Plasticover 2
    SoundClick | SoundClip Index | YouTube | SOTW Blues (Round 8) | Mouthpiece/Sax Pictures

Administrator
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PigSquealer View Post
    Good answer! Obviously there is been a lot of thought put into this new project. I find it interesting this will be weekly. Itís a lot of work to keep a newsletter going especially the editorial. Many become very dry in content due to the lack of new information. Iím sure the creative department has reviewed a nice blend of vintage and modern content as well.

Iím appointing myself as representative for all members in asking this next question. Do we get a refund for a free subscription we didnít know we were supposed to get. And is this newsletter being distributed by third-party company? Who is responsible for our email addresses and personal information?

Cheers to you success,
    PS🐷
    You would only get a refund if the Subscription was processed thorugh Paypal.
    This newsletter is being distributed by Threadloom which is a third party company we partnered up with.
    Whatever email address and personal information you put on in the forum is the users choice, but keeping it safe from hackers is our responsiblity.

Ed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    Spam.

I was under the impression many countryís anti spam laws require opt in, not opt out.
    That can vary; the EU has a massive new regulation (the GDPR) going into effect next month that addresses this point, among others. In the United States, opt-out is generally the standard. Moreover, in the U.S., email from an entity which with the recipient already has a relationship may not be considered "spam" at all -- in the sense of unsolicited commercial messaging -- if the email primarily includes information about the existing relationship (which can be a membership) rather than promoting a commercial product or service.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LostConn View Post
    That can vary; the EU has a massive new regulation (the GDPR) going into effect next month that addresses this point, among others. In the United States, opt-out is generally the standard. Moreover, in the U.S.....
    This is not a US forum though. It is based in Canada with international membership.

The whole thing about it being ďeasier for membersĒ to unsubscribe is something I doubt. Itís about marketing which is why the spam laws have changed and are continuing to change, people donít see opting out as convenient when theyíd prefer not to get unsolicited mail in the first place.
    Tone Without Tears: how to practise long notes without getting bored | IMPRO FOR BEGINNERS |DVD & TUTORIALS | BACKING TRACKS | AUDIO

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This newsletter is being distributed by Threadloom which is a third party company we partnered up with.

Ed
    Please confirm that you will not be giving our email addresses or other confidential information to this third party company

All personal information collected by SAXONTHEWEB.NET is retained by VerticalScope Inc. and/or SAXONTHEWEB.NET, and not sold or otherwise provided to third parties,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is not a US forum though. It is based in Canada with international membership.
    Are you arguing with me about what I posted, or are you arguing with me about which law you think should apply to the operations of SOTW? I merely answered your question; I did not express an opinion on the latter issue (and am not going to).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LostConn View Post
    Are you arguing with me about what I posted, or are you arguing with me about which law you think should apply to the operations of SOTW? I merely answered your question; I did not express an opinion on the latter issue (and am not going to).
    Iím not really arguing with you at all, although I might argue that I didnít realise you were answering my question, mainly because I didnít ask a question.

I think we are both just giving out information or opinions as we see it.

I donít actually know whether a site has to follow the laws of the jurisdiction of its place of business or those of the end user (which if it is the case may not be easy to enforce)

The main thing that concerns me is that we are treated with respect

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PigSquealer View Post
    Itís a lot of work to keep a newsletter going especially the editorial. Many become very dry in content due to the lack of new information. Iím sure the creative department has reviewed a nice blend of vintage and modern content as well.
    PS, I'm almost sure that the biggest part of this 'newsletter' will be generated fully automatically from our forum content (look at the examples given in the first post). These SPAM types of newsletters are always meant to generate money or extra hits, not to cost money (e.g. paying an editor).

Whatever email address and personal information you put on in the forum is the users choice, but keeping it safe from hackers is our responsiblity.

Ed

Please confirm that you will not be giving our email addresses or other confidential information to this third party company

All personal information collected by SAXONTHEWEB.NET is retained by VerticalScope Inc. and/or SAXONTHEWEB.NET, and not sold or otherwise provided to third parties,
    Ed, how would Threadloom be able to distribute this newsletter to us if they don't get our email addresses (them reading the SOTW user profiles through a program is also providing data to third parties)?

Distinguished SOTW Member PigSquealer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You would only get a refund if the Subscription was processed thorugh Paypal.

Ed
    You do realize you just announced releasing 55,783 members email contact to a unauthorized third party and VS is responsible when it All goes wrong. Have you viewed any news this week??
    I hope IT has also prepared for at least 50% of a one time response within the first week. The current active 3500 or so members would most likely disappear never to return if the site locks up or becomes any slower. Could this site handle a additional 3500 or 100% increase in one week? SOTW has a great wealth of information. That information has been generously given by the members for free. Members who should not be compromised due to the lack of someoneís foresight.
    Never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig 🐷

Administrator
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The third party in this case is tantamount to a plugin, because that's what it is. Threadloom provides us with a dashboard interface and a programatic search system that pulls the most active topics for a given week and sends it out in a digest that we control. It does not give data to threadloom as an entity. We control your data, we control the thread data, and we control the output. This is being accounted for in regards to privacy laws, including CASL and when necessary GDPR. The unsubscribe control is likewise run on a provided dashboard there by preventing the crash concern that you are referring to.

Kyle

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast