Tenors fs Buescher, Conn. Baritone fs The Martin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tenors fs Buescher, Conn. Baritone fs The Martin

Selling most of my horns to buy new ones. These have been my main horns since I started playing, but at 64, inflammatory arthritis is going to force me to find easier ergos. Pictures to follow, just getting this out there in case someone looking specifically for one of these. I put ?'s on the prices in case anyone has any comments, although I think pics will help answer most questions once I take them and get them posted.

Buescher 156 tenor, 1949. Super sweet horn in excellent shape, lacquer is probably 95% or more - one of the nicer ones you'd find, and no signs of any but the most insignificant dings. I've had about half of the pads, maybe more, replaced, any that were suspect. Those remaining are in fine shape. Actually the action on this is good for me, and I will probably be looking for a nice TH&C to replace both it and the Conn. $2500?

Conn, New Wonder II tenor, 1929. Pretty close to mint. JUST bought this from Gayle Fredenburgh, it's a single owner horn with no dents and I'd probably call it 98-99% silver plating, the only visible wear is around the right thumb rest. This would be my horn forever I think but my hands are just not up to it. Collector quality but too great a player to not be played. Great intonation, huge sound and the top end just so open... a soulful beast of a horn. All new black kangaroo pads with silver plated flat resonators, just beautifully overhauled by Gayle. $3600. About what I have in it.

The Martin Baritone 1954. What can I say, this has been my soul brother, king of the jungle. It used to feel fast and easy to me but my hands aren't keeping up. Cosmetically it has quite a well developed patina and gorgeous color, and I would have to call it beautiful but it is not pristine and shiny. This thing has had a life. Little or no major body work, a hint of crunch on one side only of the bottom bow but not much, right alongside the keel. Mostly a well cared for and well used instrument. I had this overhauled by someone I won't name in N.O. about 14 years ago when I bought it, but had subsequent work to make it great. Black goatskins, it had Noyeks which I had replaced last year with flat stainless resos. Pads are in great shape, really I don't put high miles on my horns as a casual non-pro; a few pads got replaced with black roo's when we did the resonator swap maybe 6 months ago. $2800?

All of these horns are maintained and in daily use.

Trades? I'll be looking for a really nice Buescher 400 TH&C tenor of good vintage.
    I'm not sure about bari, maybe a VI, I don't know if 12M ergos are better than The Martin, have not played any Conn baris. Maybe I get lucky and find a Buescher custom. Haven't figured it out. Maybe one of them Italian horns or an SML...

Post or pm me with questions, I'll be working to get pics. Prices not including shipping.
    -Mark M.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tenors fs Buescher, Conn. Baritone fs The Martin

Shipping from CA?
    Yamaha YTS-62iii tenor/Paraschos Selmer neck/Vandoren T20/Vandoren MO/L�g�re Signature Series 3.5
    Yanagisawa AWO10/D'Addario Reserve D155/Bay ligature/L�g�re Signature Series 3
    Buffet Prodige clarinet/Vandoren Masters CL6/Vandoren MO/L�g�re Signature Series 3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, I'm in Petaluma a bit north of SF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian1 View Post
    Shipping from CA?

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the Conn New Wonder II tenor, 1929. Pretty close to mint. JUST bought this from Gayle Fredenburgh, it's a single owner horn with no dents and I'd probably call it 99% silver plating, the only visible wear is around the thumb rests. This would be my horn forever I think but my hands are just not up to it with the severe cartilage loss in my hands. Collector quality but too great a player to not be played. Great intonation, huge sound and the top end just so open... a soulful beast of a horn. All new black kangaroo pads with silver plated flat resonators, just beautifully overhauled by Gayle. $3600. plus shipping. About what I have in it.
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_1122.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	191329

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see some things in the pics that I never noticed looking and holding the horn so I'll knock the plating rating down to 97% (opinions welcome!.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pulling these off the market, going to save and find new horns before selling any. Played the Conn at a practice this week and it's such a great horn, will just keep all of these if I can and start out just adding to the collection. First I think will be a bari...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Way late to the game here, but I just wanted to say that that Conn is incredibly beautiful. I really wish I was in the market for a tenor (or bari! That Martin sounds killer too). As a fellow Petaluman, I hope to see these around town!
    Bari - Keilwerth SX90R Low A, Lebayle Jazz 7* / Drake VRCRB 8, LaVoz Medium
    Tenor - Guardala DG-500GL, Lebayle LRII 8*, Vandoren JAVA Green 3