Jupiter JSS1000?

ashwind

Default Jupiter JSS1000?

Has anyone ever played this horn? I have found just about zero information about it online outside of retailer websites. I have the opportunity to get my hands on one. I'll probably be able to try it out in a week or so but I'm kind of impatient (haha) and would definitely like to hear some other people's experiences with it! How does it stack up to a YSS475? I have only ever played yamaha saxophones so anything outside of that is a whole new world for me.

I've heard great things about the Kessler horns so that would probably be an alternative in a similar price range, but the upside of the Jupiter is that it's local and comes with a store warranty so I can get any repairs done at no cost for the first year.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member 1saxman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Jupiter JSS1000?

I would take the Yamaha if there's a choice. The Jupiter is their entry-level soprano. I would not consider any of their saxes professional grade. Yamaha does make professional saxes and IMO this quality does reflect to some degree in their student model line. I tried a Jupiter 'Artist' model soprano a few years ago and it was not suitable for my needs. Judging by the appearance of the new line of Jupiters, at least they seem to look like mainstream horns but I haven't played one. I think most players here would also suggest a Yamaha student model over a Jupiter student model.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saxophone warranties are rarely necessary; a warranty is the last thing I'd be considering. The Jupiter line is made in Taiwan (at least as far as I know) and the factory makes a number of models branded with other brand-names put on them. I was recently gifted an ARBITER-brand soprano that I learned was made in the same factory as Jupiter. It was a good player and I'm sure it would fit the needs of someone just staring out on soprano. I gifted it to our local high school and they were happy to have it.

The fact that the horn you are considering is local to you is a good thing . . . meaning you can actually test it before buying. Most decently-made saxophones will serve their buyer's well and you'd be hard-pressed to tell much difference among other models at the same price.

I agree that if both the Yamaha 475 and the Jupiter are priced similarly, you'd probably be better off with the Yamaha, but it all comes down to which one you like the best.

I've played a few examples of Kessler's house-brand sopranos and they were well worth their price. DAVE
    Dave

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

ashwind

I would ideally get the Yamaha, however the cheapest one I can find in the area is almost $1000 more than the Jupiter. I think I'll give the Jupiter a test run and if it doesn't measure up I'll probably just save up for the Yamaha. I'm by no means a pro and only really play sax as a hobby (I'm a trumpet player by trade) so it's hard to justify spending over $2k on a horn that I'll mainly only be playing at home BUT it's important to me to have an instrument that I don't have to fight with to keep in tune and produce a decent tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Dolson View Post
    Saxophone warranties are rarely necessary; a warranty is the last thing I'd be considering. The Jupiter line is made in Taiwan (at least as far as I know) and the factory makes a number of models branded with other brand-names put on them. I was recently gifted an ARBITER-brand soprano that I learned was made in the same factory as Jupiter. It was a good player and I'm sure it would fit the needs of someone just staring out on soprano. I gifted it to our local high school and they were happy to have it.

The fact that the horn you are considering is local to you is a good thing . . . meaning you can actually test it before buying. Most decently-made saxophones will serve their buyer's well and you'd be hard-pressed to tell much difference among other models at the same price.

I agree that if both the Yamaha 475 and the Jupiter are priced similarly, you'd probably be better off with the Yamaha, but it all comes down to which one you like the best.

I've played a few examples of Kessler's house-brand sopranos and they were well worth their price. DAVE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ashwind: Please get back to us when you make your choice. I'd advise looking into a good mouthpiece, though. That, and the choice of reeds, can make a huge difference - even bigger than the horn itself, assuming good build-quality. DAVE
    Dave

ashwind

I was able to get a one week trial on the jupiter. I haven't played it a ton yet, just for about 15 minutes in my car last night. It came with a crappy stock mouthpiece and a couple of rico orange box size 2 reeds. I went ahead and bought some La Voz medium soprano reeds and even with the reed upgrade the sound was really not good. I also tried it with a Grand Concert Select 3 clarinet reed and that helped, but still on the thin and muddy side. It's more my playing than the horn that is the problem, I realize, but when I test drove the yamaha a year ago I found it a LOT easier to control and focus the tone. If I have the time I might go and pick up a better mouthpiece today and see how much that helps. A store nearby has a Royal Graftonite B5 in stock which I'm sure is a step up from the stock mouthpiece and it's less than $30 so hopefully I can't go wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Dolson View Post
    ashwind: Please get back to us when you make your choice. I'd advise looking into a good mouthpiece, though. That, and the choice of reeds, can make a huge difference - even bigger than the horn itself, assuming good build-quality. DAVE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, I can only assume that the mouthpiece included with the Jupiter was not great, but everyone is different when it comes to mouthpieces. Many here tout Yamaha's 4C soprano mouthpiece (I have one) so maybe that is the reason your Yamaha test went much better.

The 4C is not my favorite mouthpiece but it plays decently, at least for me and some others. They are inexpensive, too. It shouldn't be too difficult to order one from WW&BW or Amazon. Beware of mouthpiece recommendations, though - it doesn't matter what plays good for me or someone else, it matters what plays good for you. DAVE
    Dave