Poor man's brecker mouthpiece - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Poor man's brecker mouthpiece

I think Bobby's P series mouthpieces were the best. Little pricey compared to the D, M or S chamber but they were so round and full sounding

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swperry1 View Post
    Yes, Didn’t MB only start playing the high baffle screamers after health issues made it nearly impossible to ‘speak’ the high end? Now everyone just plays the types of pieces he played as a crutch. A YouTube account and hours of practice will get you closer than any mouthpiece ever will.
    Calling it a "crutch" seems a little unfair, given that he ended up hurting himself voicing those Links as bright as he did. I had a sax teacher that did something similar to his own throat playing Link-style mouthpieces in rock and r&b settings for years. When I took lessons from him, he had to play a small-tipped Jumbo Java with a soft reed because it hurt his throat too much to play mouthpieces with almost any resistance.

My point is, if you want to sound bright, it seems like it would make sense to start with a mouthpiece that was meant to be bright. I can voice my Lamberson almost as bright as my RPC sounds with a more natural voicing, but I'd rather play the mouthpiece that makes that easy so I can focus on other things.

Maybe I just lack the mental capacity to do two things at once!

Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I wouldn't say crutch. Just using the right tool for the job. I think people would argue that if he could have used a link to get that sound he would have but he couldn't without hurting himself.

So he switched.

Much like many other players start out on a link and then gravitate towards something a little closer to a Guardala (Dukoff, 0 Chamber Berg, insert mega list of high baffle pieces) because it's the logical choice to get them in the sonic direction they are already aiming for.

And that's not to say you can't do it on a Link (and which Link are we talking about here anyway? Because the EB STM's are pretty darn bright in the grand scheme of things) I'm not saying that. But people really gravitate towards a set up that feels good. If it feels good and responds in the way you want it to then that's it. Game over. And despite Trane and Turrentine and many other great players getting awesome iconic sounds on Otto Links, they are them and you are you.

I agree (and took the advice straight off of SOTW) that you should learn to play a link. And get a good sound out of a link. I found a Modern NY STM that was a very nice mouthpiece and when I was in my "trying to find my sound" phase I played the heck out of that. Not even that big of an opening, it was a 6* that I used #3 green javas on.
    I played that exact set up for basically 5 years. But after doing the best I could with that I still didn't think it was offering me the same kind of projection and tone that I new was more in the realm I was going for.

So I did GAS for the second time and went through a bunch of high baffle pieces. CE Winds, Jody Jazz DV, Guardala lazer trim, a 0 Berg, not high baffled but I ordered a Phil Tone Equinox straight from the man, tried a few Dukoffs and a few Lawtons but didn't buy.

The point is that I tried all those and got generally my tone after years of developing it on a Link (like everyone said I should) but none of them still felt right.
    Until I finally found something that feels effortless and still gets me that same sort of tone I was shooting for.

Maybe someone else's 'effortless and gives them the same tone they are shooting for' is a Guardala. Maybe it's a Link. Maybe it's a Berg.

I'd only call it a crutch if someone was maybe just starting out. But what's wrong with recommending something right off the bat that's similar to the players they like? They can go through their own journey and figure out what works and what doesn't work for them.

Anyway, long post. Derive the point if you can find one. I'm just talking from my experience. I'm glad I played a Link for years. But it wasn't it for me. I'm glad I played all those other pieces that were more high baffled because I knew that was closer to what I wanted. And I was right. But it wasn't totally high baffle I was looking for in the end.
    Don't do drugs. Do Overtones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WwJsOGn6mg

Just a guy who plays saxophone. swperry1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It wasn’t a crutch for MB, it was a needed piece of equipment. All I’m saying is that there are a bunch of players who really sound like shit because THEY are using the crutch and have nothing at all happening with their sound...like playing a sweet guitar through a beautiful cabinet but not having a thing to say worth listening to and somehow still manage to sound like garbage. And yes, I still believe that a stereo or YouTube account and a decent mouthpiece coupled with a ton of practice time will get you closer to Brecker, cheaper, than springing for new gadgets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob Berg with Miles, Dukoff. Bob Mintzer with Jaco, Dukoff.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    I wouldn't argue with that. However, Brecker played a Link for some time, then changed to a Guardala, two very different mpcs. And the OP is looking for yet a different mpc ("poor man's Brecker") to try and sound like Brecker. Seems like a bit of a stretch to find this particular holy grail mpc...
    Don't forget that Brecker did some of his best sounding work during his Fobes Debut period. Sadly very little was recorded but those who were around will no doubt remember.
    TamingTheSaxophone.com saxophone website & tutorials
    Tone Without Tears: how to practise long notes without getting bored | IMPRO FOR BEGINNERS |DVD & TUTORIALS | BACKING TRACKS | AUDIO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    Don't forget that Brecker did some of his best sounding work during his Fobes Debut period. Sadly very little was recorded but those who were around will no doubt remember.
    That's a new one for me! I did not know that Brecker played a Fobes student mouthpiece.
    My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ghawk78/videos
    Tenor-Viking M60 Valkyrie w/Black Widow 8/Legere Signature:Alto-Yamaha YAS-23 w/Beechler Diamond Inlay S8S
    Soprano-Antigua Winds 590BLQ w/Bari HR .066

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GHawk View Post
    That's a new one for me! I did not know that Brecker played a Fobes student mouthpiece.
    Yes, I think he upgraded to a 4C after that.
    TamingTheSaxophone.com saxophone website & tutorials
    Tone Without Tears: how to practise long notes without getting bored | IMPRO FOR BEGINNERS |DVD & TUTORIALS | BACKING TRACKS | AUDIO

Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swperry1 View Post
    It wasn’t a crutch for MB, it was a needed piece of equipment. All I’m saying is that there are a bunch of players who really sound like shit because THEY are using the crutch and have nothing at all happening with their sound...like playing a sweet guitar through a beautiful cabinet but not having a thing to say worth listening to and somehow still manage to sound like garbage. And yes, I still believe that a stereo or YouTube account and a decent mouthpiece coupled with a ton of practice time will get you closer to Brecker, cheaper, than springing for new gadgets.
    If we could recognize that a crutch is a medically necessary accommodation, then yes, it was exactly a crutch for Michael Brecker.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I think he upgraded to a 4C after that.
    I'm going to go buy one right now!
    My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ghawk78/videos
    Tenor-Viking M60 Valkyrie w/Black Widow 8/Legere Signature:Alto-Yamaha YAS-23 w/Beechler Diamond Inlay S8S
    Soprano-Antigua Winds 590BLQ w/Bari HR .066

Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contributor 2007-2010 EZ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got an SR Tech Legend that I've been fussing with off and on for a while - has some inherent "Brecker-esque raspiness" to it. Don't know what these go for nowadays, but might be relatively affordable if you can find one.
    Please visit EZmpc.com and follow me on Facebook!
    “Opinions are like embouchures.” - EZ
    "The rumors of my forever abandoning mouthpiece refacing are greatly exaggerated." - EZ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We want to hear George play!...We want to hear George play!

Formerly the Big Island, now on the road in an RV
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HeyJoe View Post
    I’ve heard George play. He does quite nicely.
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey!? swperry1's last post is gone......🙄

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've often wished there was a recording of Mike and Randy playing together in their bathroom when they were kids. Both of them have mentioned in interviews that they used to go in there and play "free jazz" for hours when they were just starting, because they liked the sound in the bathroom. (Probably also because it kept the neighbors from complaining.) Probably it was just a racket, but considering how great they both turned out to be, it'd be fun to hear. Pretty sure Mike was on the Forbes, then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I posted an honest account of my thoughts on another forum member and his style of posting. I received a private message from said member, but didn’t have a chance to see the response before it was deleted. That’s why my last post is gone. I called someone out for being a shitposter and got censored. See ya 👋

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HeyJoe View Post
    Right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atonal View Post
    Hey!? swperry1's last post is gone......🙄
    how do you know? you got your eye's shut and your ears plugged!

Forum Contributor 2016-17 StanVI's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    Just to state the obvious: No mpc, cheap or expensive, will give you Brecker's sound. Your sound is up to you.
    This is the truth....I was working on some Desmond stuff yesterday, my NY Meyer works well for that....it also works well for a Cannonball vibe...I put on the Selmer metal jazz and sounded like the Meyer....the piece can make playing easier, the sound/tone is you....
    Mark VI soprano, Runyon smooth bore 9 Mark VI alto, NY Meyer 8
    Mark VI tenor, Ben Allen 20D 8, Phil Tone Mosaic 7*, Runyon Jaguar 8,
    Lien Chang curvy sop,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast