Poor man's brecker mouthpiece

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Poor man's brecker mouthpiece

What would be a cheap mouthpiece that would give you the Brecker sound?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Poor man's brecker mouthpiece

Brecker got his sound out of a lot of different mouthpieces, including metal Links, Dukoffs, and Guardalas, which is to say you could get a sound like his with many different kinds of mouthpieces. If there has to be a "poor man's Brecker mouthpiece" though, I would cast my vote for the Rico Metallite.

Distinguished SOTW Member 1saxman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dukoff M7, M8 or M9. Guardala 'Laser-Trimmed' MBI or MBII with a re-face by John Reilly.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

SOTW Columnist
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kgiles View Post
    What would be a cheap mouthpiece that would give you the Brecker sound?
    Just to state the obvious: No mpc, cheap or expensive, will give you Brecker's sound. Your sound is up to you.

Distinguished SOTW Technician BOPITY FUNK's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    Just to state the obvious: No mpc, cheap or expensive, will give you Brecker's sound. Your sound is up to you.
    Young players just don't get it-and a few older ones too-also it seems nowadays, everybody wants to be, or sound like someone else. Individuality appears to be a lost concept,it's like painting by numbers.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 Budget Explosion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sakshama has a delrin version of his Guardala MBI & MBII clones. I think they go for about $260.
    my Combat Jazz album Zebra is now up on iTunes, Amazon and all streaming services.

Selmer Mark VI Tenor Sax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

However, if you do want to play like Brecker and already do to some extent, getting the mouthpiece or similar couldn't hurt. I've always liked King Curtis so naturally I play a Guardala 'King Curtis'. I've had a couple of them but the one I have now is truly a good mouthpiece - you could play many styles on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BOPITY FUNK View Post
    Young players just don't get it-and a few older ones too-also it seems nowadays, everybody wants to be, or sound like someone else. Individuality appears to be a lost concept,it's like painting by numbers.
    What you're saying never existed. Players always go by what has gone before, and different players 'dig' different famous players. In the process of trying to emulate others, which is pretty much impossible, players come up with their own sounds. And so it advances - or so it did in the past. But everything has come to a grinding halt - there are no shining examples of great sound - everybody plays by the same formula and is afraid to step out of line; #7 Link, #3 reed, play like Bird/Trane, repeat ad-nauseum. Now you can't tell one from the other. I have developed a new theory of culture that explains this phenomenon and everything else that's wrong with society today but perhaps we'll delve into that another time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish I heard somebody play like “Bird/Trane”.

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
    Dukoff M7, M8 or M9. Guardala 'Laser-Trimmed' MBI or MBII with a re-face by John Reilly.
    When I was younger I was told Brecker started on a D7 or D8.......What are the M mouthpieces?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As others mentioned, no mouthpiece will by itself give you a Brecker sound, but a Saxscape "Downtown" is a great price that can be found at a very reasonable price -- check eBay.

Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    When I was younger I was told Brecker started on a D7 or D8.......What are the M mouthpieces?
    The one he was famous for playing I believe was a D9.

The M Dukoff's are the ones that are sort of like a D but instead of having a flat High Baffle they have a longer, rolled over (sort of Guardala MBI style) high baffle.

I had a P8 and it was very much like a Brecker MBII
    Don't do drugs. Do Overtones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WwJsOGn6mg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CE Winds Legend I was designed as a Brecker-type piece and it pulls it off very well. I have a 7* in my mouthpiece drawer that I haven't played since I got my Black Widow. It's got that Brecker vibe to it. I got mine on ebay for about $150, if memory serves me correctly.
    My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ghawk78/videos
    Tenor-Viking M60 Valkyrie w/Black Widow 8/Legere Signature:Alto-Yamaha YAS-23 w/Beechler Diamond Inlay S8S
    Soprano-Antigua Winds 590BLQ w/Bari HR .066

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take a look at the Kanee Ming:
    http://www.kaneemusic.com/English/pr...hp?lm=26&id=99

I've got a #8 (.110) for sale in Marketplace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BOPITY FUNK View Post
    What you're saying never existed. Players always go by what has gone before, and different players 'dig' different famous players. In the process of trying to emulate others, which is pretty much impossible, players come up with their own sounds. And so it advances - or so it did in the past. But everything has come to a grinding halt - there are no shining examples of great sound - everybody plays by the same formula and is afraid to step out of line; #7 Link, #3 reed, play like Bird/Trane, repeat ad-nauseum. Now you can't tell one from the other. I have developed a new theory of culture that explains this phenomenon and everything else that's wrong with society today but perhaps we'll delve into that another time.
    It seems like every generation of players, at least started by emulating and trying to sound like the previous generation. I've seen plenty of old greats in interviews talking about how they wanted to sound like Bechet, Hawkins, Webster, Young, etc. Then it was Parker, Trane, Henderson, etc.

Anyway to the OP, the cheapest one you can probably find is the Rico Metalite.
    "My music is the spiritual expression of what I am, My Faith, My Knowledge, My Being." - John Coltrane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post

I also thought it was the "D" version that he played.

I have a D8 for sale at the moment in the classifieds............................

Just a guy who plays saxophone. swperry1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, Didn’t MB only start playing the high baffle screamers after health issues made it nearly impossible to ‘speak’ the high end? Now everyone just plays the types of pieces he played as a crutch. A YouTube account and hours of practice will get you closer than any mouthpiece ever will.

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

However, if you do want to play like Brecker and already do to some extent, getting the mouthpiece or similar couldn't hurt. I've always liked King Curtis so naturally I play a Guardala 'King Curtis'. I've had a couple of them but the one I have now is truly a good mouthpiece - you could play many styles on it.
    I wouldn't argue with that. However, Brecker played a Link for some time, then changed to a Guardala, two very different mpcs. And the OP is looking for yet a different mpc ("poor man's Brecker") to try and sound like Brecker. Seems like a bit of a stretch to find this particular holy grail mpc...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't argue with that. However, Brecker played a Link for some time, then changed to a Guardala, two very different mpcs. And the OP is looking for yet a different mpc ("poor man's Brecker") to try and sound like Brecker. Seems like a bit of a stretch to find this particular holy grail mpc...
    I got to play a mini-concert last night with Danny Hull and he told me that he gave Michael that Link.
    My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ghawk78/videos
    Tenor-Viking M60 Valkyrie w/Black Widow 8/Legere Signature:Alto-Yamaha YAS-23 w/Beechler Diamond Inlay S8S
    Soprano-Antigua Winds 590BLQ w/Bari HR .066

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GHawk View Post
    CE Winds Legend I was designed as a Brecker-type piece and it pulls it off very well. I have a 7* in my mouthpiece drawer that I haven't played since I got my Black Widow. It's got that Brecker vibe to it. I got mine on ebay for about $150, if memory serves me correctly.
    I have the silverite version of this mouthpiece, same opening, and it is my go to for playing in the horn section of LTDB. I use metal Links for straight ahead etc.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast