Is Steve Howard on this list?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is Steve Howard on this list?

He's the guy who wrote the Saxophone Manual (Haynes Pub.) I love this book, but I caught an error, kind of. He states on page 121: "leaving the pads wet after playing doesn't help [the saxophone] either, but it is impractical to dry each a every one." Not so, I dry each and every pad two times a day. Swabbing the sax and neck and then drying each pad does take about five to eight minutes, but it's what I do.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Is Steve Howard on this list?

How do you dry them, lutemann? I've heard of others doing this as well. Do you use a swab, or blotters, or what? And is there any risk of tearing them?
    A little bit louder and a little bit worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not trying to be a wise guy, but what list are we talking about?

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GT View Post
    Not trying to be a wise guy, but what list are we talking about?
    “Forum”
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZootTheSim View Post
    How do you dry them, lutemann? I've heard of others doing this as well. Do you use a swab, or blotters, or what? And is there any risk of tearing them?
    I follow the same process as lutemann when I'm finished playing. I dry the pads with a microfiber cloth. Just place it under the pad and close the key for a second or two and the cloth wicks out the moisture. I follow up by placing a piece of cigarette paper under each of the normally closed pads. The cigarette paper is thin enough to leave in place without distorting the pads, and when I go to remove them before playing I just gently pull them out so they drag across the pad and basically clean the pad. Using this technique I've yet to have a problem with sticky pads. The whole process of swabbing the neck and sax body then drying the pads and inserting the cigarette paper under the closed pads take less than 5 minutes. If you decide to use cigarette paper use the type without the adhesive edge, or cut the edge off before use.....I think the reason is obvious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZootTheSim View Post
    Read Stagefright's message. He taught me a few things.

Forum Contributor 2013-15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
    “Forum”
    "Forum" what?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by click View Post
    "Forum" what?
    He's just explaining that the SOTW forum is what the OP meant by "this list." (That is old-time email discussion group terminology.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StageFright View Post
    I follow the same process as lutemann when I'm finished playing. I dry the pads with a microfiber cloth. Just place it under the pad and close the key for a second or two and the cloth wicks out the moisture.
    What size horn? My experience is that the smaller the sax, the tougher it gets to put things under some of the pads, especially on the upper stack. Often, you can't just "place" something under a pad, especially a nonrigid item like a piece of cloth. You have to maneuver it somehow. It's possible, but for me it would be too much trouble to do it for every pad on every horn, every time. I sometimes use small pieces of paper towel judiciously, putting them under a few closed pads that I know have a tendency to stick and leaving them in place while the horn is in the case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LostConn View Post
    What size horn? My experience is that the smaller the sax, the tougher it gets to put things under some of the pads, especially on the upper stack. Often, you can't just "place" something under a pad, especially a nonrigid item like a piece of cloth. You have to maneuver it somehow. It's possible, but for me it would be too much trouble to do it for every pad on every horn, every time. I sometimes use small pieces of paper towel judiciously, putting them under a few closed pads that I know have a tendency to stick and leaving them in place while the horn is in the case.
    Good point. My experience has been limited to tenor and alto saxes. I could see where a soprano may be more difficult to work with.
    I use the BG A65S Microfiber Pad Dryer
    https://www.amazon.com/BG-A65S-Micro...All+Saxophones

But the BG A65 U Pad Dryer, FL/CL/BS/OB, Microfiber looks to be made for smaller, harder to access area's.
    http://https://www.amazon.com/BG-A65...%2C+Microfiber

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I thought I was A.R. (anal retentive). I see this as a bit of "over kill". After playing I empty the water that has collected in the bow out the bell, insert and remove my HW Padsaver 3 or 4 times, run a clarinet swab through the neck, and I'm good to go. I can see the value of putting something under the normally closed keys that may stick: G#, C# but beyond that its more than I would care to do. That said, I applaud those who deny us repair techs a chance to make a descent living by being so meticulous about the care of their saxophone.

And I'm grateful there aren't more of you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by saxoclese View Post
    ............................That said, I applaud those who deny us repair techs a chance to make a descent living by being so meticulous about the care of their saxophone.

And I'm grateful there aren't more of you.
    Fixed income you know

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's just explaining that the SOTW forum is what the OP meant by "this list." (That is old-time email discussion group terminology.)
    Correct !!

(Heyyyyyy, how about you and I go to a Private Chat Room, fella ?)
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

(AdBlock Plus is your Friend https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../adblock-plus/)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But the BG A65 U Pad Dryer, FL/CL/BS/OB, Microfiber looks to be made for smaller, harder to access area's.
    Are these BG pad-drying tools semi-rigid, or do they at least have a piece of piping along the edge? That would make them easier to insert under a pad than just a big piece of floppy cloth.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A forum is a very different thing to a list though.
    TamingTheSaxophone.com saxophone website & tutorials
    Tone Without Tears: how to practise long notes without getting bored | PPT Mouthpieces | IMPRO FOR BEGINNERS | AUDIO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just place it under the pad and close the key for a second or two and the cloth wicks out the moisture.
    This works very well with a piece of kitchen paper towel, which is absorbent, but also has some rigidity and can be easily slipped between the pad and the tone hole, then thrown away. I remember someone mentioning in an older similar thread that he used coffee filter paper for the same purpose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are these BG pad-drying tools semi-rigid, or do they at least have a piece of piping along the edge? That would make them easier to insert under a pad than just a big piece of floppy cloth.
    No, not semi rigid, and no, no piping along the edges. They are heavier than cloth. Think more like a leather chamois for drying a car. I've had no issues inserting them under pads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by valjeanmeister View Post
    This works very well with a piece of kitchen paper towel, which is absorbent, but also has some rigidity and can be easily slipped between the pad and the tone hole, then thrown away. I remember someone mentioning in an older similar thread that he used coffee filter paper for the same purpose.
    True a piece of paper towel will work. If the pads are really wet I've found that paper toweling would tear and stick to the pads which is a bit of a bother to clean off the pad. The microfiber cloths don't have that problem. They're cheap, and washable. I've been using the same cloth for over a year with a mild wash every couple of months. It's just now starting to look slightly frayed on the edges, but still has a lot of life left in it.

Not trying to convert anyone here, just pointing out a simple, inexpensive way to dry pads and keep them from sticking that works for me..... your mileage may vary as they say.

Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think its great that people do this. Im not gonna..not now, not ever. I subscribe to pure laziness...but good for you!
    Phil-Tone Custom Woodwinds
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don' t do it to stop sticking, I do it to preserve the pads. I have a lot of trouble maintaining my alto, and I don't need more. I have no idea it it really works. It's my understanding that pads deteriorate from repeatedly getting wet and drying out. If you dry the pads it should be like they never got wet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast