Props for Joe Giardullo & SopranoPlanet! (reface/adjustment)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Props for Joe Giardullo & SopranoPlanet! (reface/adjustment)

There's probably a better forum for this, but I figure most soprano players will see it here anyway.

I sent Joe a recently acquired (used from Ebay) Missing Link that had some major issues, along with my beloved JodyJazz Classic. Joe's communication was fast and friendly, and his prices were good. I just got the pieces back yesterday (13-ish days round-trip, including a holiday weekend) and they play great! The JJ plays better than ever (less resistant, easier top-to-bottom), and the ML plays SO much better, nearly effortlessly! I actually can't decide which piece I like better.

If you need a soprano piece adjusted, definitely shoot Joe an email.
    Soprano - Antigua Winds 590-BC Metalite M7, Forestone Black Bamboo, Olegature; Rascher, Legere Signature, Rovner Dark
    Alto - Yamaha YAS-875EXB Metalite M5, Forestone Black Bamboo, Rovner Dark; Rascher, Legere Classic, Rovner Dark
    Tenor - Yamaha YTS-62 Metalite M7, Forestone Black Bamboo, Rovner Dark; Rascher, Forestone Black Bamboo, Rovner Dark

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Props for Joe Giardullo & SopranoPlanet! (reface/adjustment)

Glad to hear Joe's still doing his thing .. wondered what he's been up to since he kinda dropped away from the forum 'scene' .

Forum Contributor 2017 sandster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Soprano Man.
    ?the sandster

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandster View Post
    The Soprano Man.
    Sing me a song Mr. So-prano Man...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tryptykon View Post
    Glad to hear Joe's still doing his thing .. wondered what he's been up to since he kinda dropped away from the forum 'scene' .
    I recently sold a couple of his pieces to fund the purchase of a Metropolitain. I've been on the fence about writing a review just because it's such a unique piece, but I definitely wanted to chime in on this thread. Joe's tops, and my eternal thanks to the SOTW community for exposing me to his craft.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dig my Open Sky 2 & wanna hear your impression of the Metropolitain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sopsax View Post
    Will do. I'm sacking out in a few but I'll put something together in the next day or two. It's a remarkable piece.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by osloutah View Post
    I recently sold a couple of his pieces to fund the purchase of a Metropolitain. I've been on the fence about writing a review just because it's such a unique piece, but I definitely wanted to chime in on this thread. Joe's tops, and my eternal thanks to the SOTW community for exposing me to his craft.
    Will do. I'm sacking out in a few but I'll put something together in the next day or two. It's a remarkable piece.
    Look forward to hearing more about that one, I've wanted to try one of Joe's creations but haven't gotten around to it .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've two Conn straight sopranos. On one, from 1927, I use a Missing Link made and modified by Joe specifically to suit my preferences. The ML piece suits the instrument and me perfectly. On the other soprano (a "Stretchy") I use the original Conn mouthpiece, an S2, that came with the instrument from the factory back in 1929. I could hardly play this piece when I got it, because the tip opening was so close that I kept blocking it off every time I tried to blow it. I sent it off to Joe and he worked his Sopranoplanet magic on it. When it came back I could not believe the effortless blowing and the sweetness of the tone, despite the large volume of sound it was capable of producing when pushed.

Joe's skills are incredible — especially when you consider that all the wonderful work he did for me was achieved at long distance, by e-mail and snail mail.
    There’s a wicked wind still blowing on that upper deck; There’s an iron cross still hanging from around her neck;
    There’s a marching band still playing in that vacant lot, Where she held me in her arms one time and said, “Forget me not.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sopsax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryptykon View Post
    Look forward to hearing more about that one, I've wanted to try one of Joe's creations but haven't gotten around to it .
    Just posted a review here:

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...-Metropolitain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Joe's skills are incredible — especially when you consider that all the wonderful work he did for me was achieved at long distance, by e-mail and snail mail.
    +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I've two Conn straight sopranos. On one, from 1927, I use a Missing Link made and modified by Joe specifically to suit my preferences. The ML piece suits the instrument and me perfectly. On the other soprano (a "Stretchy") I use the original Conn mouthpiece, an S2, that came with the instrument from the factory back in 1929. I could hardly play this piece when I got it, because the tip opening was so close that I kept blocking it off every time I tried to blow it. I sent it off to Joe and he worked his Sopranoplanet magic on it. When it came back I could not believe the effortless blowing and the sweetness of the tone, despite the large volume of sound it was capable of producing when pushed.

I've only read of stellar experiences with Joe Soprano .. thanks for the reminder, Mike. I have a '26 Conn sop myself ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joe has just created a new soprano mouthpiece, the S440.

According to Joe, "...after a long development of both my Open Sky 2 and Metropolitain mouthpieces, both of which feature a deeper, narrower chamber design than any other soprano mouthpiece being made, I turned my attention to the other end of the spectrum: a wider, rounder chamber that could deliver crisp attack, even tone and precise intonation as well...

"I discovered, through play-testing and trial and error, a new chamber shape and new chamber proportions that reminded me of the amazing mouthpiece of Steve Lacy. While the big sound and the response are very 'Lacy-esque,' this piece is nothing like Steve’s mouthpiece in terms of design, except that the chamber shape design starts where Steve’s piece left off.

"Like Steve’s mouthpiece, the throat of the S440 is a 'race-track' oval shape. But, unlike Lacy’s piece, the throat is a lot larger, giving the S440 a big, free-blowing feeling. The chamber shape, definitely the most important design feature, offers a large chamber feeling with a quick, crisp response and truly amazing intonation, all without the histrionics of voicing 'work-arounds' so ubiquitous for large chamber pieces."

Pics, details, & sound clips here:
    http://sopranoplanet.com/portfolio/s...sopranoplanet/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like pretty much every other soprano sax mouthpiece from the sound clip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bottle Opener View Post
    Sounds like pretty much every other soprano sax mouthpiece from the sound clip.
    Maybe so, but Joe G. doesn't appear to be claiming that it has a unique sound; rather, the selling points seem to be that it's easy to play in tune and to play evenly from top to bottom.