Why So Little Love for the Metal Vandoren V16's?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Why So Little Love for the Metal Vandoren V16's?

It doesn't seem like there is much talk or praise for the current metal V16's. I'm curious why these pieces are looked at less favorably or get less attention than other Link style pieces. Perhaps I am missing something, or I am not seeing the discussions on the V16's. The current V16's seems like a well thought out line of pieces, with the options of the different chamber sizes being nods to different eras of Links, and at a not too high price. Yet it seems that when I read of people digging a V16 it's usually an earlier version like a T55. Are they just too mass produced or boring for people? And while more boutique makers seem to get more love here, it seems that even the current Babbitt STMs get more buzz here than the V16's. I am missing something? They seem like nice pieces to me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Why So Little Love for the Metal Vandoren V16's?

There is an absolutely wicked tenor player named Timo Lassy who uses one. Check him out.

I actually was surprised I remembered his name first try. I think I heard about him 4 or 5 years ago.
    Don't do drugs. Do Overtones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WwJsOGn6mg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by littlewailer View Post
    There is an absolutely wicked tenor player named Timo Lassy who uses one. Check him out.

I actually was surprised I remembered his name first try. I think I heard about him 4 or 5 years ago.
    He used the old Vandoren V16 and it looks like he's using a Link now.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, from what I can tell, why would you use the metal when the hard rubber is more available and cheaper?

FWIW, I use a metal V16 T6 large chamber, so I love the thing. The metal has a nice heft in my face and the large chamber is pleasing (I'm predominately a bari player and this feels better to me).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the metal and HR pieces are pretty different from each other. I think your large chamber metal piece has a larger chamber than the HR piece. I think the HR piece is going to be brighter, maybe even harder or brittle compared to the large metal.

Lassy has a nice traditional tone, really that classic Selmer tone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And it's down to preference. I don't like the boutique pieces: too bright/similar to me. I want something I can really blow into AND (realistically) the V16 is SO MUCH CHEAPER.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, they seem like well executed pieces for about 1/3 of what the boutique / artisan makers charge. Unless you’re going with a real Link and save even more dough. I guess it’s a matter of production scale.

Forum Contributor 2012-2015 wagtenor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried 2 of the metal V16s when they were initially released - a medium and a large chamber. Did not like either of them. Just couldn't get them sing for me.
    “Do or do not... there is no try.” - Yoda

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonPowerSax View Post
    I don't like the boutique pieces: too bright/similar to me.
    Not sure exactly what you mean by 'boutique pieces,' but that sounds like a serious over-generalization to me. Especially if by 'boutique' you mean modern mpcs by top quality mpc designers; there is a wide spectrum in terms of design and tonal characteristics in high quality pieces available these days.

I've never played the V16, but I've heard it's a decent mpc and, just like any other mpc, it's a matter of whether you like how it plays/sounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think out of the box they play better than Links, but the sound lacked the richness of good Link I thought.

Also, Links can be so different maybe there's a psychology at play where the best Link is just another purchase away. I kept buying and selling Links, and the one I ended up with was a No USA Serial.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It could have something to do with the fact that they don't market on SOTW. I mean, if they cared about generating some talk, they could sponsor the forum, offer "pass arounds" on new pieces, post videos of players using their mouthpieces, make special offers in the marketplace. You do all those things--which some of the "boutique" guys do--and you probably generate some talk. Now, whether Vandoren should about whether people on the internet are talking about their pieces I have no idea. They may be doing just fine without any of that.

Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Not sure what the op perceives but there was a big buzz when they came out. A lot fizzled. I never played one but many vendors i know gave them a partial thumbs up. Word i got was they were good for the money, generally good pieces but the love wasnt there for many players. When it came to technical execution the good but not great theme continued. So in general they did not view them as a cheap alternative to botique pieces...and this is from a group of vendors who would love to have exactly that to offer. Note this is all hearsay from sources I trust. Not first hand experience.
    Phil-Tone Custom Woodwinds
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have played 4 of them , a 6L, two 7M and a 8M. They play but is not so interesting. Feels restricted compared to a good link. The price is not so good either. For less money you can have a boutique piece from mouthpieceguys that plays better (not metal). The D’Addario jazz select tenor piece is more interesting I think if you are on a budget.
    https://soundcloud.com/roger-nordling
    Tenors: Selmer SBA 53xxx - TJ Signature Custom RAW XS - Soprano: Yanagisawa Elimona 880

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonPowerSax View Post
    And it's down to preference. I don't like the boutique pieces: too bright/similar to me. I want something I can really blow into AND (realistically) the V16 is SO MUCH CHEAPER.
    right!........i am using one on my newly acquired custom tenor! however, on my mk6 and 66r i use a v16 t11 HR VANDOREN! maybe, once i get use to this horn i might switch to the t11 on the custom on that too! both sound good but, i really comes down to wanting that unmistakable old school sound like frog, pres, dex or something closer to modern!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried a few of the newer metal VDs but found them a bit 'dry', lacking in fun if you like. At the time I tried them I was also playing some Phil-Tones and some Navarros and frankly those two had the VD beat no problem.
    Not bad, no cigar is my feeling.

Distinguished SOTW Member rhysonsax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
    I tried a few of the newer metal VDs but found them a bit 'dry', lacking in fun if you like. At the time I tried them I was also playing some Phil-Tones and some Navarros and frankly those two had the VD beat no problem.
    Not bad, no cigar is my feeling.
    A possible new marketing line ? "Mouthpiece X will beat VD".

Rhys

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have used a metal V16 for a while next to my Ponzol M1 and at some point I decided that the V16 was offering me a lot less flexibility in sound (and had the tendency to chirp sometimes) that the Ponzol which was then replaced by my Brancher J27 that has been my faithful companion for several years now

Price-wise, at €262 metal vandoren v16 are as expensive as many handmade pieces , my Brancher only costs a tenner or two more. One commendation to Vandoren has to be that when I lost the biteplate a representative of the company promised to replace it for free and bring it with him at Frankfurt ( Musikmesse) and so he did, I replaced the biteplate myself and still have two of the three plates (somewhere) but I have sold the V16.
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Distinguished SOTW Member B Flat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I kinda get the boutique piece comment in that most so called link copies or clones are not even close.
    Generally way brighter and little to no resistance.
    The old Links are treasured for the whole package not just a small part f it.
    A couple get close but most think everyone wants more baffle and a smaller chamber.
    Klum and Sakshama are closest for me.
    Phil tone Tributes are also there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sugaki View Post
    I think out of the box they play better than Links, but the sound lacked the richness of good Link I thought.

Also, Links can be so different maybe there's a psychology at play where the best Link is just another purchase away. I kept buying and selling Links, and the one I ended up with was a No USA Serial.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund451 View Post
    Not sure what the op perceives but there was a big buzz when they came out. A lot fizzled. I never played one but many vendors i know gave them a partial thumbs up. Word i got was they were good for the money, generally good pieces but the love wasnt there for many players. When it came to technical execution the good but not great theme continued. So in general they did not view them as a cheap alternative to botique pieces...and this is from a group of vendors who would love to have exactly that to offer. Note this is all hearsay from sources I trust. Not first hand experience.
    That is kind of my experience with them. I bought some to try out when they came out, and I still have two of them. One stock and one refaced by Erik Greiffenhagen. They are built really well, but they seem to be just lacking a bit of complexity. Like Phil said, good but not great.
    "My music is the spiritual expression of what I am, My Faith, My Knowledge, My Being." - John Coltrane

Distinguished SOTW Member B Flat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robbieg View Post
    That is kind of my experience with them. I bought some to try out when they came out, and I still have two of them. One stock and one refaced by Erik Greiffenhagen. They are built really well, but they seem to be just lacking a bit of complexity. Like Phil said, good but not great.
    Yet you still have two of them.
    I’m guessing they must offer something.
    Sent from my iPhone using poor grammar and literacy skills.
    Quality Wrought Iron & (mediocre Sax Playing)
    www.warpironworks.com.au

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast