Another episode int he continuing "C" soprano saga! - shifting pads (with snap-in resos) - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Distinguished SOTW Technician
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Another episode int he continuing "C" soprano saga! - shifting pads (with snap-in resos)

Yeah who knows, I've only rebuilt a few C Sopranos and a couple of Sopraninos, both were decades ago, and I am very ok with that. Most modern horns are using thinner pads, most older USA horns including all Bueschers I have worked on, used thicker pads. As usual it's hard to tell, without seeing the instrument in person.
    Mike Reed

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Another episode int he continuing "C" soprano saga! - shifting pads (with snap-in resos)

For this or any other woodwind the thickness question is easy to answer. If the majority of pads are hitting heavy in the back you need a thinner pad and if hitting in the front first then you need a thicker pad. This is before adding any adhesive.
    Mike Reed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by clarnibass View Post
    Maybe I posted this before, can't remember, but a C soprano could have very thin pads, at least for some of the keys. Some Bb sopranos use very thin pads, sometimes as thin as 3.5mm or even 3mm. Just yesterday I had to use 3mm pads for soprano palm keys. Maybe less common for old saxophones but possible. A small saxophone could definitely be made to work with 4mm pads, but consider an extreme example: a 10mm thick pad for a 5mm diameter key. It would be more difficult to align, especially by floating. Having the keys shallower and lower for the thinner pads could alos make it a tiny bit less bulky and might have helped with the design for fitting everything. Just some guesses for why some makers might do it.
    In the case of my TT C sop, I've landed on the main keys of the upper stack requiring thinner pads. The lower stack I think is okay, or at least close enough that they can be made to work. Octave key pads and the other tiny pads also seem to be okay at standard thickness. A horn designed to have the upper stack pads thinner than the lower stack just wasn't a scenario I ever considered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squawk View Post
    In the case of my TT C sop, I've landed on the main keys of the upper stack requiring thinner pads. The lower stack I think is okay, or at least close enough that they can be made to work. Octave key pads and the other tiny pads also seem to be okay at standard thickness. A horn designed to have the upper stack pads thinner than the lower stack just wasn't a scenario I ever considered.
    I've actually had this happen quite a bit, mostly on C sopranos but sometimes other vintage horns. Its usually just a few pads that need to be thinner, and the fix I use is actually quite simple. I lap the pads thinner on sheet glass with abrasive paper glued down. Its no big deal to thin down the pads to the right size, doesn't take too long either.

Mk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The upper stack that was really good last night is off again. The fat pads are hitting in the back after the massage last night - even with them sticking out in the front there is no room to float in the rear and they spring back over night. There is no hope for these pads, I'm waiting on MM to give me a quote. As abracadabra says above its 3 or 4 pads. I will try his advice out on the used pads, but I don't think I can take of 30+ thou without compromising the pad.

I guess in the future I have to develop an eye for installed pad thickness. It would be real nice to get it right at the start...........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It can be very handy to have a stock of different thicknesses on hand. Have to try that sandpaper method next time I need to thin down just a little bit. I've used a sharp razor blade in the past, to achieve the same end result, but sanding would be much easier.
    Mike Reed

Distinguished SOTW Member hgrail's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the sandpaper method idea as well. Never thought of that - great idea!
    "After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley
    Selmer Serie III Tenor, Yani 900 Bari, '24 True Tone Bass, Buffet S1 Bb Clarinet..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ordered some clarinet Roo pads for the problem keys on the C sop. The Martin Bb soprano overhaul has been going very smooth (pads are staying well adjusted) except the octave key pads; seems the standard pads are too thick for the action. So even the Martin will have some clarinet pads.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finished the Martin this evening - restored some confidence in my work, plays very, very well. Didn't wait for the thin clarinet octave pads - I took the ones out that were too thick, flipped them over in the key cup to hold them, hit them with the belt sander letting the old shellac hold them together. Then flipped them back over and re-installed them. Worked well. Love the tone - I'm using a Yamaha 5C right now, might try the old Martin mouthpiece that I refaced. Very dark.........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The clarinet pads were too thin for the C soprano, but I did get some experience with shims. Today tho, I got the thinner (.135" instead of .165") Roo pads from Music Medic today. In just a couple hours the upper stack was done - the right size pads sure make getting them installed and regulated MUCH simpler. The shellac helped as well. I had to undo several bandaids leftover from the thicker pads, but now the horn is playing GREAT! . Many, many thanks to Music Medic, they were awesome.

The C sop is playing better than it ever did and the pads seem to be staying in place. Yay!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6