Sax on the Web Forum banner

Protec Pro Pac = Hardshell Case?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  because 
#1 ·
Just curious about one more thing with the Protec Pro Pac cases. I know that they are made with wood shells that are somehow embedded into a nylon soft case. Is the Pro Pac considered to be a hardshell case? Or would it be better described as some sort of hybrid of soft and hardshell, something more of a floating structure with perhaps more give than a traditional hardshell case? Perhaps more like a BAM Softpack than a Hiscox or other fullly rigid hardshell case?

Thanks

#2 ·
My favorite cases. The thin plywood in the contoured cases is curved, like a fiddle body. This is what gives it strength along with the inherent qualities of plywood. The panels do have some 'give' due to the way the case is assembled. One reason I favor these cases is the nylon cover material helps the case stay put compared to a hardshell case that typically scoots on you. I had a hardshell case shoot right out the back of a truck one time when the door was opened. No damage to the case or horn but the way they want to slide around on any surface is irritating. Still, I use an SKB hardshell but I also have three Pro Pacs for other horns.

#3 ·
I would think of it as a hardshell. It is stronger than some of the old-fashioned rectangular cases, that would clearly be called hardshell (even as they split open at the edges), but I would not think of it as being a shipping case, or one you would want to stand on.

#4 ·
My only problem with the contoured cases are, when you arrive at a gig they do not stack well! I carry two saxes, a flute, foldable music stand, mic stand, horn stand, stool and a small suitcase for Mics, cords, iPad, stand lights, chart folder, etc.

The Protec contoured cases look great & are very reliable, but "do not play well with others"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.