Mouthpiece Material and Health? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Mouthpiece Material and Health?

Quote Originally Posted by click View Post
    Besides, some people have allergic reactions to stuff that is inert for everyone else.
    If something is truly “inert”, there are no allergens. Do people have varying sensitivities? Yes.

Steve - as a scientist for more than 30 years, and a quality control inspector before that, be wary. I would suggest that you not expose yourself to potential chemical hazards - from either polymers or metals of dubious origin.

I’m not going to get long winded on this - I’ll leave that to Milandro.

Edit: Coffee error - grammar.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys! I sent an email back to the makers but not sure what they will say. I let them know right when I got the package and all they said was "Thanks for letting us know" I was hoping for a little bit more of an explanation that is for sure.

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pontius View Post
    This has probably already been discussed, but are their things in hard rubber from the 40's - 60's that are bad for you? Is the smell and taste sulfur?
    I'm not sure if it is bad for you but I am sensitive to it that is for sure. I have played some hard rubber pieces old and new that had a strong smell and I have gotten tingling lips and felt sick to my stomach after 20 minutes. It's not just the smell though because I have played other piece with the same old hard rubber smell that I am fine with.

Forum Contributor 2013-15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
    If something is truly “inert”, there is no allergens.
    Yeah.

That is why I put the words "for everyone else" in there.

Stuff can be called inert, can be expected to be inert, but still ain't inert to this one guy or in all conditions.

Lots of stuff has been called inert by manufacturing folk that might be reactive.

see, eg Teflon

http://tibbs.unc.edu/ask-a-toxicolog...e-teflon-pans/

https://www.organicconsumers.org/new...ause-allergies

So it does not matter that this Chinese company did extensive research and proved to their own satisfaction that the material they were using was "inert" when, in fact, there is one guy we know of who gets a nasty smell and taste off of it.

Who knows what is going on that causes those reactions? It does not matter ---- regardless, the safe move is not to get any further exposure.

It is unfortunate that my meaning did not come through. But have no problem with substituting the shorthand terms "inert" and "allergic" with more specific and accurate terms for those who missed what I intended to convey.

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by click View Post
    If it tastes bad, it IS bad.
    That's my take on it. Whether or not it could do any harm or be unhealthy, I still wouldn't want to play a mpc that tastes bad (since you do have to put it in your mouth!). Period.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With all the reports coming out of China about the mis-use of toxic materials in the manufacture of all kinds of products, I for certain would not be putting anything in my mouth that doesnt smell or taste "right", if I knew it originated in China.

Unless it had been tested and found safe by the authorities in the country in which it was being sold.

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    M...they actually play quite well but they have this strong burnt smell to them and a bitter taste when I am playing on them. Should I be worried or is a solid resin type material unable to hurt you? I know nothing about this stuff but want to make sure I'm not giving myself cancer or something........ thanks, Steve
    The bitter taste would be a dealbreaker for me. I mean, I cannot recall having played a conventional plastic or rubber 'piece & ever having experienced that...

Thanks guys! I sent an email back to the makers but not sure what they will say. I let them know right when I got the package and all they said was "Thanks for letting us know" I was hoping for a little bit more of an explanation that is for sure.
    Explanations are likely not part of their Business Plan....but I am confident they 'appreciate customer feedback and will take your comments into consideration, and forward them to the proper department'.
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

(AdBlock Plus is your Friend https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../adblock-plus/)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
    If something is truly “inert”, there are no allergens. Do people have varying sensitivities? Yes.

Steve - as a scientist for more than 30 years, and a quality control inspector before that, be wary. I would suggest that you not expose yourself to potential chemical hazards - from either polymers or metals of dubious origin.

I’m not going to get long winded on this - I’ll leave that to Milandro.

Edit: Coffee error - grammar.
    Well, I hoped you PM'd Milandro, just in case he missed this thread! lol

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I received this response back:

It is made by resin and composite materials in my own recipe, it is better and safer than hard rubber. And the smell is because of it was baked in high temperature.

Maybe I am being paranoid........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:

It is made by resin and composite materials in my own recipe,
    Steve, in my view that response is exactly why you should be paranoid.

Ps, I hope this smell and taste issue is part of your review .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KMR View Post
    That was my first thought.
    "My music is the spiritual expression of what I am, My Faith, My Knowledge, My Being." - John Coltrane

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KMR View Post

Ps, I hope this smell and taste issue is part of your review .
    Because of the "my own recipe" part? The "resin and other composite materials" seems a bit vague also?

They are sending me another with no smell supposedly so we will see how that one is.........

I have played a ton of resin and hard rubber mouthpieces with no burnt smell whatsoever. Maybe they baked these a bit too long or something..........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve, the standards of regulation are far less strict in many countries in the far east. Basically, the use of techniques which get production done cheaply and quickly is very common.

the use of toxic chemicals is part of this process.

There was a case in my country recently of a brand of clothing having to be withdrawn as folks were getting skin problems, Analysis showed Toxic chemicals had been used in the manufacture.
    The retailer in this country trusted what they were told about production.

this stuff is all over Google.

Honestly, if you dont know who you are dealing with and they have not been regulated, i would not go near them.

put this in your mouth ............................. forget it.

Do you know them well enough to trust what they say?

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because of the "my own recipe" part? The "resin and other composite materials" seems a bit vague also?
    Exactly! Such a response is a huge red flag, imo. I wouldn't use that mpc.

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are sending me another with no smell supposedly so we will see how that one is.........
    Perhaps they should market two versions of said mouthpiece ?

The "Standard" and the "NS" ????

(AdBlock Plus is your Friend https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../adblock-plus/)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I'm just being paranoid but is it possible for a mouthpiece material to be bad for you? I received some mouthpieces to try from China that are made of "resin and other composite materials" as described to be by the email. They actually play quite well but they have this strong burnt smell to them and a bitter taste when I am playing on them. Should I be worried or is a solid resin type material unable to hurt you? I know nothing about this stuff but want to make sure I'm not giving myself cancer or something........ thanks, Steve
    Everything coming out of China is suspect, until proven to be non-toxic. I was Purchasing Manager for a top tier thermocouple manufacturer, and we dealt a lot with China. They made up 90% of our business, most all of it going to the solar panel and silicon wafer manufacturing. The business we did with them got us the Small Business Exporter of the Year award, because they were incapable of making pure enough aluminum oxide insulators and platinum wire. But having spent 35+ years in Quality Control, before that, I can tell you the products coming out are of dismal quality.
    I've seen high pressure flanges that were supposed to be one piece forgings, blow up because they were actually poorly doctored up weldments, that barely qualified to be called that. The present-day horror stories about children's toys and women's makeup are all over the place, lately. Then there's the flooring that was supposed to be certified formaldehyde-free that was manufactured and sent here loaded with the stuff! Count on nothing being safe, from over there!
    Strive to be better than the day before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My friend who does a lot of carpentry complains all the time about bad drill bits and bent nails from China.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I received this response back:

It is made by resin and composite materials in my own recipe, it is better and safer than hard rubber. And the smell is because of it was baked in high temperature.

Maybe I am being paranoid........

The baked at high temp part could be the problem ... heat can break down plastics.

See the overheated teflon story.

Misjudge the temp and get bad results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DarrellMass View Post
    Everything coming out of China is suspect, until proven to be non-toxic. I was Purchasing Manager for a top tier thermocouple manufacturer, and we dealt a lot with China. They made up 90% of our business, most all of it going to the solar panel and silicon wafer manufacturing. The business we did with them got us the Small Business Exporter of the Year award, because they were incapable of making pure enough aluminum oxide insulators and platinum wire. But having spent 35+ years in Quality Control, before that, I can tell you the products coming out are of dismal quality.
    I've seen high pressure flanges that were supposed to be one piece forgings, blow up because they were actually poorly doctored up weldments, that barely qualified to be called that. The present-day horror stories about children's toys and women's makeup are all over the place, lately. Then there's the flooring that was supposed to be certified formaldehyde-free that was manufactured and sent here loaded with the stuff! Count on nothing being safe, from over there!
    My cat was killed by bad catfood resulting in kidney failure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Chinese_milk_scandal

baby food formula ... now that is low

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fooook......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast