Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Contributor 2016
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mouthpiece Material and Health?

Maybe I'm just being paranoid but is it possible for a mouthpiece material to be bad for you? I received some mouthpieces to try from China that are made of "resin and other composite materials" as described to be by the email. They actually play quite well but they have this strong burnt smell to them and a bitter taste when I am playing on them. Should I be worried or is a solid resin type material unable to hurt you? I know nothing about this stuff but want to make sure I'm not giving myself cancer or something........ thanks, Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Mouthpiece Material and Health?

Without knowing the material it’s impossible to say, of course. Too many products over the years have later turned out to be toxic (asbestos being of the major ones), if it tastes and or smells bad then probably best to not play them.

Perhaps you can clarify with the manufacturer and explain your concerns and ask for the exact materials used. If they decline you could also take it further to a consumer watchdog for imports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's certainly possible, Steve. Could have lead in it, for all you know. Hard plastics can be harmful, too--just think of Bisphenol A.

If it smells funny, then it's quite possibly off-gassing. At the very least, if it's a porous material, then it isn't considered food-safe, as it will harbour bacteria. I'd give it a pass: after all, it's not like you have a shortage of pieces around.
    A little bit louder and a little bit worse.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For most I'd say not to worry about it. However coming out of China, where regulations are pretty much nil, I would say better safe than sorry.
    "My music is the spiritual expression of what I am, My Faith, My Knowledge, My Being." - John Coltrane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the chance that there might be some residue left over from the manufacturing process, you might clean them with Varsol or similar paint thinner to remove any petroleum distillates, and then wash them with soap, water and a toothbrush.
    If they still have a bad smell and taste, you could soak them in vinegar and water for a day.
    There are plant resins and synthetic resins. I would think hard rubber mouthpieces probably have some resins in them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was playing my old hard rubber Tone Edge at an outdoor gig last summer and it started to smell like I had a Goodyear in my mouth. I put it away and played my metal Link. I was worried it would warp or something more than worrying about my health.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe your licks are too hot?
    A little bit louder and a little bit worse.

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZootTheSim View Post
    Maybe your licks are too hot?
    Images attachées Images attachées
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

(AdBlock Plus is your Friend https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../adblock-plus/)

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by empressdiver View Post
    On the chance that there might be some residue left over from the manufacturing process, you might clean them with Varsol or similar paint thinner to remove any petroleum distillates, and then wash them with soap, water and a toothbrush.
    If they still have a bad smell and taste, you could soak them in vinegar and water for a day.
    There are plant resins and synthetic resins. I would think hard rubber mouthpieces probably have some resins in them.
    Would any of those things hurt the resin? Paint thinner seems pretty strong! I have no idea what varsol is. I already tried soap and water.........

Forum Contributor 2014
    Knoxville, TN Area (escaped from Illinois)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Varsol is mineral spirits aka turpentine without the smell. Before I soaked a piece in it, I might brush just a bit of it on a small area on the outside to see what it does. If you did a quick dip and then washed it right away it shouldn't be a worry. It's not like you are eating the material.

OTOH, the possibility of lead from Chinese products is real. I won't buy any toys or treats for my dog from China.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some people use vinegar (Acetic acid). It smells and tastes like a salad for s short time...but that goes away. Atleast it smells like food, better than other chemicals.
    DN Rhythm Website - - - - - - Musician Shirts (amazon)
    "Easy Easy Bebop" Bebop licks and phrases put into words. (2nd Edition) Kindle or Paperback {Amazon}.
    "Jazz Lick Challenge"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi
    I thought that it was concerns over the health effects of materials that led Ponzol and others to start using delrin, which is advertised as "medical grade". I would think someone on the forum who is a doctor could comment on the potential risks of putting something in your mouth for hours and hours that may not be inert, and could be releasing some type of chemical into your mouth. I stopped playing one very old HR mouthpiece because it smelled and was kind of "spicy", i.e. gave a kind of tingling sensation. That didn't seem like a good thing. There are too many good mouthpieces out there to mess around with something that makes you "nervous the whole time" you're playing it. Trust your instincts. Just my 2cents.

Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My theory...though not scientific, is that if you smell someting thats one thing. If you are actually getting taste, that is a whole different ballgame...though taste and smell are hard to separate. I think if you have a bitter aftertaste you are ingesting something. I would be very cautious. No offense to the good people of China...the fault lies in government and corporate entnties...but at this point I avoid putting their products in my body.

Id be increasingly careful in the usa in the future given the gutting of the epa and other regulatory systems as well....but at least in the usa every business has a real fear of law suits. This in itself tends to act as a regulatig factor for most...but not all.
    Phil-Tone Custom Woodwinds
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

Forum Contributor 2013-15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. If it tastes bad, it IS bad.

(some exceptions may apply)

Anyway, why force yourself to play any mouthpiece such as these?

They do not pass the first screening test: A. is this OK in my mouth ... Y or N?

2. And thank you so much for all of your efforts in providing us with mpc info over the years!

VERY helpful, and GREAT sounds!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This has probably already been discussed, but are their things in hard rubber from the 40's - 60's that are bad for you? Is the smell and taste sulfur?

Forum Contributor 2007-2016

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve, since you already have concerns, just don’t put that thing in your mouth.
    Go with your gut feelings on stuff like this.

Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread has made me wonder why there are not flavored mouthpieces. A product whose time has come!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Besides, some people have allergic reactions to stuff that is inert for everyone else.

Roll with that and move on down the road. No worries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FredCDobbs View Post
    This thread has made me wonder why there are not flavored mouthpieces. A product whose time has come!

If they got one that tastes like valentine's day, I want it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast