Mouthpiece bore size

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mouthpiece bore size

I have a Yani soprano S902, the stock mouthpiece (an HR5) won't go down much past the halfway point even with lots of lube. I have a Bari Esprit which goes on no problem. The bores are: Yani 13.52mm, Esprit 13.75mm.

It's easier for me to play quietly on the Yani right now which is good for practice at home, but I hate to sand down the cork if it's going to make it hard to use other mouthpieces.

The cork is a bit discolored--am I having problems because the cork has lost its elasticity, or is the Yani unusually narrow (seems unlikely), or?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Mouthpiece bore size

Well...this is one of the oddities of mouthpieces. Their internal shank diameters are not uniform so for folks switching back-forth between their 2 favorites, this can cause a small problem.

You could have the cork replaced and see if that does it...it might.

Or....sand the cork down so Yani fits well...go to the hardware store and buy some plumber's teflon tape.. and when you use the Bari...just wrap one or two layers of tape around the cork first.

The tape adheres very well (there is no glue on it) and it also comes off very easily. Just keep the tape in your case.
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

(AdBlock Plus is your Friend https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../adblock-plus/)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got the tape on hand. Thanks!

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the record, I have two necks for my Yanagisawa soprano, an SC901 neck and an SC992 neck, and the Yany HR 5 mouthpiece is definitely a tighter fit than my SL3. It's almost too snug, as you've experienced. Maybe Yanagisawa really wanted to leak-proof this connection, but you'd expect the sizes of a manufacturer's horns and mouthpieces to be perfectly matched.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Especially if it's true that sop MPs end up lower for tuning--although I've just discovered Paul Coats' articles so I'm having another think on that. I've been trying to find some standards/tests for correct embouchure and Eureka, there they are.

Thanks LostConn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It makes sense for the cork to be slightly oversize as built on a professional instrument, since the majority of purchasers will use their own preferred mouthpiece. That way it's most likely that they just have to sand down the cork (free if you have some sandpaper and masking tape, only a few bucks if you take it to someone) versus replacing a brand new neck cork (more expensive and time consuming).

Someday I will buy a set of reamers and make all my MPs for a given horn the same ID.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't force a mouthpiece on the cork. Lube is NOT the answer. Sand it down to fit, rather than risk damaging your horn (ie bending something when you are forcing on the mouthpiece).
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had good success installing JL Smith Valentino Sax Neck Corks. They are a bit pricey, and tricky to get the "butt end" fit rather than the overlap, but they have a great advantage over traditional cork. That is that the cork easily compresses to accommodate a mouthpiece with a smaller shank, and then completely "recovers" to give a snug fit with a mouthpiece with a larger shank. I have customers who still are using these corks after 6 years and they are still going strong.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Guru MojoBari's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bore of your Yana can be sanded out larger to match your Esprit.