Selmer Mark VI / Is it legit ? Need advice :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Selmer Mark VI / Is it legit ? Need advice :)

Hi guys

I just stumbled upon a 1972/73 Mark VI on the second hand
    sites. I always wanted to own a MKVI or SBA as an alto.
    However as I know these nice horn don't go away for less than 5k here.
    The seller only wants 3.9k and as I read all the tipps for buying saxes on this forum
    I'm a bit suspicious about it.

Is there any way to tell if the horn is a legit MKVI?
    I got a serial which happnes to be also the on the picture on the back of the
    sax, but yeah....

I hope you guys have some advice for me on this one.
    Thanks a lot in advance !

Cheers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Selmer Mark VI / Is it legit ? Need advice :)

Quote Originally Posted by Izebreaker View Post
    Hi guys

The seller only wants 3.9k and as I read all the tipps for buying saxes on this forum

sax, but yeah....

I hope you guys have some advice for me on this one.
    Thanks a lot in advance !

Cheers.
    You should at least post pictures.
    What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh sorry I totally forgot :

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

And here's the URL: http://www.tutti.ch/aargau/musik/ins...6_18305633.htm (its german )

It says:
    Newly overhauled (oktober 17) through repairman.
    another overhaul is free
    serial 1997700
    can be tested and seen in a woodwind selling store

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

197700 would be correct.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Izebreaker View Post

sax, but yeah...
    Hard to tell from such small pics, at least the one with the serial number seems legit to me. But can't tell if it's relacquered, which would make $3.9k a pretty normal price.

I wouldn't buy a Mark VI simply because its name, especially the later model altos. Should play test, ideally a bunch of them, paying attention to intonation, response and tone. There are dud Mark VIs out there so it's not advisable to buy based on brand alone, especially if it's a site you stumbled upon. "Freshly overhauled" saxes sometimes still need lots of work... or another overhaul.

Forum Contributor 2016 musekatcher's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It might be less possible to identify a good fake with just pics, but the font and size of the serial number doesn't look correct. The one photo I found that came close to matching your serial size and font, turned out to be a fake.
    Best, Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sugaki View Post
    Hard to tell from such small pics, at least the one with the serial number seems legit to me. But can't tell if it's relacquered, which would make $3.9k a pretty normal price.

I wouldn't buy a Mark VI simply because its name, especially the later model altos. Should play test, ideally a bunch of them, paying attention to intonation, response and tone. There are dud Mark VIs out there so it's not advisable to buy based on brand alone, especially if it's a site you stumbled upon. "Freshly overhauled" saxes sometimes still need lots of work... or another overhaul.
    I always think it’s funny when I see this. A guy asks if a Mark VI is legit and then somebody says there are “duds” and there are better horns, it may need that infamous $1500 overhaul, re-lacquered, etc.
    It’s a decent price, it looks like it’s in very good condition and obviously you are looking for a Mark VI. If you like it and it’s one of those duds, which I don’t think exist,you’ll at least get your money back, unlike spending 4K on a Yamaha.
    Life’s too short to play Asian horns.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys for your advice.
    Clearly I would only buy the horn after I got it to my own repairman and
    could get some information from him. Anyway without testing it i cant tell if it suits me.
    I read a bit about the MKVI in general but this wont help much until I got to play it. Doesn't have
    to be this horn in hells name but I think I might like it. Thats the main reason I got to ask you guys on
    your opinion as I do not know that much about this model.

Contacted the seller: Wish me luck, he told me he alrady to someone who might take it

Distinguished SOTW Member Mike F's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surely, it's silver plated!? Looks at first like lacquer, but from the photo with the sn it's clearly silver plated.

A SP alto from '72? Probably a screamer! If I didn't already have two 6's and a Ref 54 I'd pull the trigger myself!

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just dug out my VI-alto and compared the stampings on the back to the ones shown in the last photo above.

Mine is a 1963 model (#M110xxx). Mine has three lines of U.S. patent numbers.

The font for "MADE IN FRANCE" on mine is of a different size than the patent numbers.

Mine has a serial number font that is the same size as the patent numbers.

The markings on the bow-ring on mine have what appears to be a continuing linked series of "S"'s while the one in the photo is a series of up-and-down grooves.

Mine has a metal thumb hook while the one in the photo has a black plastic thumb hook.

There may be a valid reason for those differences (routine design changes over the years), but in light of post #6, I'd proceed with caution, at least until someone more knowledgeable than us can weigh in. Douglas Pipher comes to mind. DAVE
    Dave

Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whaler View Post
    Ain't it the truth!

Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, looks like a Euro assembled silver plated horn to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whaler View Post
    I always think it’s funny when I see this. A guy asks if a Mark VI is legit and then somebody says there are “duds” and there are better horns, it may need that infamous $1500 overhaul, re-lacquered, etc.
    It’s a decent price, it looks like it’s in very good condition and obviously you are looking for a Mark VI. If you like it and it’s one of those duds, which I don’t think exist,you’ll at least get your money back, unlike spending 4K on a Yamaha.
    I think it's odd that someone can think buying a late-model Mark VI sight unseen for potentially above market rate as a prudent decision. There are dud Mark VIs out there, it's not a mystical unicorn, it's a handmade instrument. Also it's wishful thinking to say you'll at least get your money back. A late-model relaq Mark VI recently sold for $3.5k on ebay. If this is a relaq, it's highly unlikely it'll resell for $3.9k. One recently sold--original American engraved--late model for $2800. At best, you're looking at $3.5 on ebay, minus 10% commission so you're taking a $700+ loss potentially.

If I wanted a Mark VI sound for around $3-4k I'd buy a Reference 54 used, which go around that rate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dave Dolson implied that he would like to hear my thoughts in this instrument, so here goes.
    1) The asking price is 3900 Swiss Francs. (so that makes it about $4200 US)
    2) The serial number size and font is correct for the time period.
    3) This instrument is silver plated, not lacquered or re-lacquered. This matches the original Selmer Paris archive information.
    4) I see nothing to indicate that this instrument is not an original Selmer Paris saxophone. All features appear to me as correct for the time period.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this is a relaq........
    Have another look at the last photo. Isn't it obviously silver plated? That's why it looks so shiny in the other pictures, but it's the light or reflection of the surroundings which make it initially look like lacquer.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Douglas. I think your input will be helpful for the OP. DAVE
    Dave

Where I don't have to boil the water before I drink it..
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
    Have another look at the last photo. Isn't it obviously silver plated? That's why it looks so shiny in the other pictures, but it's the light or reflection of the surroundings which make it initially look like lacquer.
    Incandescent light used in consumer/normal usage appears yellowish, especially in photos.
    The absolute real reason I continue is the free shrimp at the cocktail hour. It's the little things.--- Rich Maraday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It does look quite legit. The stamping of the font type and serial number is inconsistently legit. Duds are usually too perfect to be real.
    Last edited by yellow_v_max; 02-15-2018 at 01:17 AM. Reason: grammar error
    Take a ride. You only live once.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
    Yeah the last picture looked silverish, but it's hard to tell given the warm color tone of the other pictures. The last could've been an oddly desaturated or have blue foreground lighting... but Douglas Pipher confirmed it.

Back to the original question I seem to like late-model Mark VI tenors (like 220k-230k), but late-model altos have never done it for me. Silver plating tends to not get great prices to resell either. If the seller has a return policy then it might be worth trying it, but without returns it's not worth it if there are no accompanying sound clips, imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah the last picture looked silverish, but it's hard to tell given the warm color tone of the other pictures. The last could've been an oddly desaturated or have blue foreground lighting... but Douglas Pipher confirmed it.
    It occurred to me that if someone can look at those photos and not see that it's clearly silver plated (not to criticise you personally), then it's no surprise that people can find it hard to distinguish re-laquer from original lacquer from photos, which is often much harder........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast