Sax on the Web Forum banner

Clarinetists: what reeds are you using?

21K views 113 replies 73 participants last post by  grasyk 
#1 ·
I am often fond of saying, "There are two kinds of reeds. Reeds that suck and reeds that don't work at all."

I am tired of paying 30 dollars per box of clarinet reeds to find that nothing is working for me. Nothing. I break them in gradually and I am skilled at adjusting with sand paper, knife, sanding cloths, reed rush...and my two go to brands, as of late have been really frustrating. I use Rico Reserve 3.0's and VanDoren V12's 3's and 3.5's and have thrown out more clarinet reeds so far in 2018 than alto, tenor and baritone sax reeds combined.

What are you using? And what works for you?

Desperate in Poughkeepsie.

-Steve

#50 ·
To add to this a bit-
in addition to the V12s and Steuers, I'm also trying some Vandoren 56 Rue Lepics on Bb too.
Also on Bass I use both Vandoren Blue Box and V12 strength 3,
and on Contra I'm using some Legeres that are something around a 2.5 or 2.75 think? They're whatever the basic model is, "classic" or something like that.

#7 ·
How do the European Cut Legers compare strength wise to Vandoren?

I have given up on the Legeres and the Signatures. Are the Euro cuts that much better?

#8 ·
Thanks Dave. Fibracells are WAY too soft for my set up. Play a 4 yesterday and it was like tissue paper soft for me.

#9 ·
In my experience Fibracells you have to go up about 1 to 1.5 in strength.

If I'm playing legit clarinet orchestra stuff then I use Vandoren 56 Rue Lepic 4s. For other stuff Legere Standard 3.75.

#18 ·
I suspect that reed-choices are like mouthpiece choices - subjective-to-the-max. Unlike some (and qwerty) who find Fibracells softer than cane, I’ve found just the opposite. For me, Fibracells play substantially stronger than comparable cane numbers.

Maybe STRONG isn’t the correct word . . . SUBSTANTIAL, ROBUST, maybe. For me, they have a role in my playing (which is unamplfied trad jazz) when matched with my favorite mouthpiece.

I realize this thread was to help qwerty, but to others reading and looking for answers, I’d recommend giving all suggestions a personal try before dismissing one or another just because of some players’ comments. At least qwerty had experiences with Fibracells before rejecting them. He gets to do that, of course. We all do.

To further a subjective point, I have yet to find a Legere that I liked. Stuffy and unresponsive comes to mind. And I’ve tried to like them, having gone through a few of them, returning them for others, etc. At their price, i’m not of a mind to keep trying in the hopes that one works for me. DAVE

#19 ·
Those of you playing the Euro cut Signatures: on which mouthpiece?

I play an old Frank Wells B2, that when I get the right reed, is like being right at home. Lately, though finding the right reed is like finding a unicorn.

#24 ·
D'Addario Reserve Classic 3.5 with a Fobes 10K 2L or Cicero 13. I'm not happy with the quality of cane reeds nowadays (I think they're pushing them out the door before they're cured), but I haven't found a Legere I liked yet. When I get a particularly bad batch of D'Addarios, sometimes I'll follow with a box or two of VD blue box hoping to change my luck. I've tried various Pilgerstorfers, Gonzalez basic and FOF, VD V21.

#26 ·
Another +1 for Legere Euros. I use a 3.25 on a Vandoren Black Diamond BD5. Very nice!

I read elsewhere that the European Cut was made in response to several clarinetists using the soprano sax Signatures on their clarinets. Since the sop reeds are shorter, the thread said, Legere used the same cut, but lengthened the reed to a typical length for clarinet. Out of curiosity I tested how the sop reed would work and was pleasantly surprised!

#30 ·
Switching back & forth between Grand Concert 3 and D'Addario Reserve 3. Mouthpiece is a stock Leblanc plastic MP.

#31 ·
Thanks all. Just ordered a box of Rue Lepic 56's and two Euro Legere Signatures in 3.25 and 3.5. I will let y'all know how they work out.

Coincidently, I just whipped a couple of V12's into shape, and I *think* they are going to work for the upcoming gig I have.

Observation: Does any else think the cane used in the D'addario Select Clarinet reeds is more porous? I get the feeling the individual strands are not bundled as tightly as say a Vandoren reed. I could be way off here and sensing something else, and I don't have any empirical data....just a feeling I have.

#32 ·
Tend to agree. The D's usually soak up way faster than V's. Stick one of each (tip down) at the same time in a shot glass of water and watch the butt ends darken (or not) after a couple minutes.

#33 ·
I've been using D'Addario Reserve Classic's 4.5 (On a Genussa GE 1.0mm opening) I've had good success with them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.