Questions about shipping a horn from US to Japan - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Questions about shipping a horn from US to Japan

Quote Originally Posted by PigSquealer View Post
    This is your personal property being sold. You are not in the business of selling instruments.
    So I would ask if USED PERSONAL PROPERTY is taxable,duties or other fees apply. Still it’s not your problem but affects the sale process.
    Correct it's not the seller's problem (nor should it affect the sales pocess), but as far as customs are concerned, if you sold an item then for this transaction you are in the business of selling items. Whether you are a huge company or a bloke selling his personal saxophone on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by PigSquealer View Post
    Value could also be substantiated by prices realized at time of loss for insurance.
    IE closed sold auction listings = fair market value. Especially if that’s how you sold it. (Ebay and comparable horn)
    I really doubt if any insurance companies will look at closed ebay listing of similar items. I've done quite a few insurance claims and they either need proof of value based on your own purchase receipt, or a bona fide authentic valuation.

If you bought a saxophone for $1000 and subsequently paid $700 on repairs, and were selling it for $1800, then you would need both of those invoices in order to claim $1700. You might be lucky to get the $1800, but must likely you will only get $1700, and even then I get the feeling you could have a struggle on your hands over the repair if you are unlucky. It will all depend on the individual insurance company how successful your claim is, and what kind of a mood the person dealing with your claim is in on that day.

I would never assume you can successfully claim for what you are selling it for or the amount you insure it for.
    TamingTheSaxophone.com saxophone website & tutorials
    Tone Without Tears: how to practise long notes without getting bored | IMPRO FOR BEGINNERS |DVD & TUTORIALS | BACKING TRACKS | AUDIO

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member PigSquealer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Pete Thomas,I really doubt if any insurance companies will look at closed ebay listing of similar items. I've done quite a few insurance claims and they either need proof of value based on your own purchase receipt, or a bona fide authentic valuation.

If the item was sold in an Ebay environment (international online auction) it could be sourced for closed (sold) listings of COMPARABLE item for prices realized. IE fair market value. You wouldn’t compare a horn needing a full rebuild and nackered case if you had pictures repair order supporting otherwise. Valuation is determined by the activity environment in that a price was realized. Where do you think insurance companies establish values from? And yes having your paperwork absolutely supports a claim. A starting basis in proof.

@Pete Thomas,
    I would never assume you can successfully claim for what you are selling it for or the amount you insure it for.[/QUOTE]

Price realized “its sold”environment value....insure for loss,damage....replacement value? Get advise on. If it sold on the cheap replacement value insurance would cover...well getting a replacement of a comparable item. Understand fine print before ya need to !
    Never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig 🐷

Distinguished SOTW Member PigSquealer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tranechaser View Post
    I have a tenor for sale and a potential buyer in Tokyo, so I was wondering if anybody here has shipped a horn from US to Japan. If so, would you be willing to share some knowledge from your experience? I have the following specific questions:

1. It looks like I may be able to ship via USPS for $200 insured. Does that sound right compared to what you've seen in the past for a tenor going to Japan?

2. Is there any customs tax or anything similar that will be levied on the horn before it goes to the recipient? If so, is that paid up-front or upon receipt?

3. Is there anything else I should know about shipping a horn from US to Japan?

Thanks for any and all advice!

It been a few weeks. did your transaction take place ? If so , anything to report on your experience?
    Never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig 🐷

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2