Silverstein x Marc Jean Marc II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Silverstein x Marc Jean Marc II

Doubt: Silverstein Cryo or Marc Jean Mark II?
    Tenor Sax HR Mouthpiece

Can you help me?

Carpegiane, Brazil

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Silverstein x Marc Jean Marc II

The cryo treatment is unlikely to do anything to the metals that mouthpieces are typically made from. (It has a valid application with steel. Other than that, mainly for voodoo advertising hype for musical instruments.)

As for material, read post number 24 at https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...aterials/page2
    And I know it is ligatures rather than mouthpieces, but watch this extreme tongue-in-cheek video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ghMCiV8hTg

What affects a mouthpiece is the shape inside it.
    A mouthpiece is a very personal thing so you will really only get a valid answer to your question by trying them.
    Contentment is not the fulfilment of what you want, but the realisation of how much you already have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon (NZ) View Post
    The cryo treatment is unlikely to do anything to the metals that mouthpieces are typically made from. (It has a valid application with steel. Other than that, mainly for voodoo advertising hype for musical instruments.)

As for material, read post number 24 at https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...aterials/page2
    And I know it is ligatures rather than mouthpieces, but watch this extreme tongue-in-cheek video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ghMCiV8hTg

What affects a mouthpiece is the shape inside it.
    A mouthpiece is a very personal thing so you will really only get a valid answer to your question by trying them.

Many thanks Gordon.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Maker mfry's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like them both, very well made. The Silverstein (cryo or no doesn't matter imo) is a cleaner sound, it damps more of the vibration of the reed, which some like. The MJ allows for more reed vibration and so brighter sound, more overtones up and down the spectrum. Maybe a little better response too. So which is better for you depends on which way you're looking to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for your opinion, mfry...

Very good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For Saxman11, I can not respond inbox, its not the reason.

My email to contact: carpejazz@gmail.com

Thanks a lot for the help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the silverstein cryo ligatures are great and doesnt get in the way of your tone!

Forum Contributor 2014 skeller047's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try a Bonade inverted or the Rico/D'Addario H lig. These work really well. While I haven't tried the two ligatures mentioned, I would avoid them as being too much marketing hype. The Marc Jean is probably the better of the two IMHO, but offers no significant benefit over the Bonade.

I have used wood (actually, pieces of reed) rails glued to the plate of a Link STM type ligature, and that seems to work just fine (better than the plate with little nubs on it). But a Rico H is just as good.

The purpose of a ligature is to clamp the reed firmly to the surface of the table. All this marketing hype about "free vibrations" and "reaching higher notes" is just BS in my opinion. For example, I have a skinny HR tenor mouthpiece that I like very much, it takes an alto ligature. By far the clearest sound comes when using a Bonade inverted. Rovner - dark and fuzzy. Francois Louis - OK, a little darker sounding, but fussy. Standard two-screw - OK, but can mar the reed. Bonade inverted - perfection.

It appears to me that the "fancy" ligs don't actually seal the reed to the mouthpiece well. if you want that darker sound caused by a very slight leak at the base of the window, do like Dexter did - move the ligature farther back, or just loosen the front part a little.
    Steve Keller
    Straight ahead and strive for tone