Having someone else play your saxophone; protocol - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Having someone else play your saxophone; protocol

Quote Originally Posted by bandmommy View Post
    Most teachers will use their own mouthpiece when testing an instrument.

The only time they would use the students set up would be if they don't own a version of the horn in question.
    And.... A little soap and water will remove the 'germs' left behind.
    I agree, though a thorough drying out is probably a good idea in regard to any Herpes viruses left hanging around - I think those are more to be feared than other viruses. I used to get cold sores on my lips and wouldn't wish them on anyone epsecially if they need to play a gig.
    TamingTheSaxophone.com saxophone website & tutorials
    Tone Without Tears: how to practise long notes without getting bored | PPT Mouthpieces | IMPRO FOR BEGINNERS | AUDIO

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Technician BOPITY FUNK's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some weird threads on here nowadays...dunno what planet some folks live on...! Great Ronnie Scott story coming up.
    Ronnie had booked a major star tenor player into his club..anyway, a few problems arose concerning 'star players' horn-so he borrowed Ronnie's including the mouthpiece.
    Turned out the guy had syphilis.........Ronnie being Ronnie and a true Brit never batted an eyelid ...................!

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

although, it is difficult to maintain a “ stiff upper lip” with syphilis ...

Anyway, doxycycline would take care of that (if you ever wondered where the name of Doxy came from the official version is that it came from a bread spread I think it might have been an antibiotic.

Herpes labialis is present in many people some show the symptoms some don’t, if you have ever had a girlfriend who had it you have it too, if you don’t show any sores chances are that you never going to .
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008 martysax's Avatar
    Boston (pronounced: Bahsten), Massachusetts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of you may remember that while I was in the hospital hooked up to two machines replacing my dead heart and waiting hopefully for a heart transplant, I was offered a chance to play with a band at the hospital's staff appreciation day. I informed them that although I'd love to play, I didn't have my horn or mouthpiece with me. They asked if I could play the band's sax player's horn and mouthpiece and I replied that you can't use another guy's mouthpiece because it would be like kissing his wife (expletive deleted). Luckily, their horn player had recently purchased a Yamahaha 62 and still had the stock 4C mouthpiece unused! He brought the horn, mouthpiece and a LaVoz medium reed and asked "Can you make this work?" https://youtu.be/QBUFx92MNww

Yes, a man with no heart played a sax with no soul and made the news. Never mind all the blood and death stuff.
    Just two questions: Where's the Bar located relative to the stage, and does the band get a discount?

Songs I recorded with The Cyclones

Check out my new informative site!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old- school sax teachers had no compunctions about playing your unwashed mouthpiece and expected you to play it right after they had used it. Joe Allard, among several others in my experience, comes to mind.
    They didn't give you a chance to wash it and therefore interrupt the lesson. Just close your eyes & think of England.
    TV's "Monk" would have had it steam cleaned before he even touched the horn.
    I guess extreme hygiene players never buy used mouthpieces.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With flu season raging, my reaction to this thread will hardly seem 'stiff upper lip'.

And yes, we all do it. Even some of us who are somewhat germ phobic. I have players over a lot and we try different horns. These days, I think I am more likely to wash out necks and use a bit of rubbing alcohol in the bore.

I also try to fist bump rather than handshake. I think it helps keep me healthy.
    Robert Steinberg
    Piano, Saxophone, MidiOpera.com

SOTW Columnist
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Swaman View Post
    Old- school sax teachers had no compunctions about playing your unwashed mouthpiece ....
    Yeah, I have to admit whenever reading one of these threads that I do remember way back when no one, including me, gave it a second thought to play someone else's horn without changing the mpc/reed. It just didn't register as a problem. Now, I'd definitely want to use my own mpc/reed. I guess we get more squeamish over time, or maybe just smarter and more careful.

Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    There are no problems in sharing a saxophone and the problems given my sharing the same mouthpiece are no more or less serious (in theory it is) than sharing a kiss with a beautiful lady (or gentleman depending on your gender or inclinations).

Yet some people will make a fuss about sharing even a well rinsed mouthpiece while wouldn’t have any trouble in sharing all kinds of other effusions.
    This. Lust trumps sterile mouthpieces.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taking this out of the purely hygiene arena, the "no play" approach can also apply to no-mouth-contact instruments. I know drummers, bassists and guitarists who absolutely refuse to allow others to play their instruments purely on the grounds that there's a risk of damage and alteration to their preferred setup. I can associate with this - who wants to risk a multi-$k instrument just for someone else's gratification? From the health angle, I do wonder how people seriously worried about disease transmission can bring themselves to play a concert-hall piano...just think where all those alien fingers have been!

Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It can get to a point where it starts to damage quality of life.

Sometimes at parties or outdoor gigs I'll walk up to a little kid and have him/her put their finger on a key and trill it while I blow. The smile on their faces is worth the disquieting assumption that the finger was probably up his/her nose not so long before.

Like the others, I'd never let a stranger of someone I didn't trust handle my sax, or my mandolin, for fear of damage of any kind. It's like they say out here in the country--"I'd sooner lend my spouse than my chain saw." He or she will usually come back in better shape; not so the saw.

If you're near a bar and you're worried about your mouthpiece/reed having been contaminated, it's worth the cost of a drink to relieve your mind. Order a scotch straight and swish the MP and reed in it a bit. Problem solved. Your choice to drink it then or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are more and more careful, but in spite of that the flu is having us for lunch this season.

If someone wants to play your horn, just imagine that the person is Mindi Abair. Or whoever, you get the picture. Give your immune system something to do. Just kidding.

Forum Contributor 2015
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My instructor played just about every "playing" horn I have simply because I value his opinion. And although it has gotten somewhat better with time and experience, I had no basis for an opinion of my own. Although he was a very nice person and tread lightly with criticism, I could tell just by the look on his face what he thought of a particular horn. He always had a mouthpiece of his own that he used to play them.

I have a couple of "non-playing" horns that I bought to learn repair. He will probably try them also when/if I repair them. Thank you Pete Thomas for your book.

Steve

Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ToomanyTenors View Post
    Taking this out of the purely hygiene arena, the "no play" approach can also apply to no-mouth-contact instruments. I know drummers, bassists and guitarists who absolutely refuse to allow others to play their instruments purely on the grounds that there's a risk of damage and alteration to their preferred setup. I can associate with this - who wants to risk a multi-$k instrument just for someone else's gratification? From the health angle, I do wonder how people seriously worried about disease transmission can bring themselves to play a concert-hall piano...just think where all those alien fingers have been!

And once again, I am left wondering how many people read the opening post to a thread rather than replying to the last response.

Raise your hand, anyone, if you know what this thread is about.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
    And once again, I am left wondering how many people read the opening post to a thread rather than replying to the last response.
    Hand raised......Good point, George! Although I have to admit I'm probably guilty of 'replying to a last response' in more than one thread, in this case I think we should revisit the OP's question. Here it is:

"Is there anything wrong in asking someone else to play one's instrument using their own MPC, ligature and reed?"

Given that he was talking about having his instructor try the horn in order to evaluate its mechanical condition, the answer is simple: No, there is nothing wrong with having the instructor play test that horn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was listening to some friends play with Steve Grossmam at a bar called Browns in Brooklyn years ago. I think he’d had quite a bit to drink and asked me to play his horn. I’d probably had a couple so of course I played it. i remember it was a BA with an old Tone Master, not very open, that had a white bite plate on it and a soft reed. It took me a minute to get used to it but I liked it. I had a recording on a cassette that got eaten. It did give me an idea of how he got that sound.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't get a chance to come on here much any more but just discovered this post and thread. That is just amazing and beautiful and I hope you are doing well Martysax. Amazing playing and spirit in that video

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by martysax View Post
    Some of you may remember that while I was in the hospital hooked up to two machines replacing my dead heart and waiting hopefully for a heart transplant, I was offered a chance to play with a band at the hospital's staff appreciation day. I informed them that although I'd love to play, I didn't have my horn or mouthpiece with me. They asked if I could play the band's sax player's horn and mouthpiece and I replied that you can't use another guy's mouthpiece because it would be like kissing his wife (expletive deleted). Luckily, their horn player had recently purchased a Yamahaha 62 and still had the stock 4C mouthpiece unused! He brought the horn, mouthpiece and a LaVoz medium reed and asked "Can you make this work?" https://youtu.be/QBUFx92MNww

Yes, a man with no heart played a sax with no soul and made the news. Never mind all the blood and death stuff.
    I wanted to post my comment and reply here (see above post)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2