Having someone else play your saxophone; protocol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Having someone else play your saxophone; protocol

I recently purchased a 1972 Selmer MK VI soprano saxophone and I would like to ask my teacher to play it and evaluate it mechanically. Is there anything wrong in asking someone else to play one's instrument using there own MPC, ligature and reed?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member buddy lee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Having someone else play your saxophone; protocol

Not if you're ok with it. What would your concerns be?
    "Can't never could."

Distinguished SOTW member/
    Official SOTW Sister
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most teachers will use their own mouthpiece when testing an instrument.

The only time they would use the students set up would be if they don't own a version of the horn in question.
    And.... A little soap and water will remove the 'germs' left behind.
    Old reed players are like fine wine. They only get better with age. Tom Hagen

Play the Music, not the instrument.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most people don't have an issue playing used saxophones. If your teacher is one of the few people in the world who does I doubt they would take offense.
    Yamaha YTS-62iii tenor/Paraschos Selmer neck/Vandoren T20/Vandoren MO/L�g�re Signature Series 3.5
    Yanagisawa AWO10/D'Addario Reserve D155/Bay ligature/L�g�re Signature Series 3
    Buffet Prodige clarinet/Vandoren Masters CL6/Vandoren MO/L�g�re Signature Series 3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone who wants to play my horns had better wash their hands and brush their teeth first. And yeah, bring their own reed and mouthpiece--unless, perhaps, it's a teacher who wants to test my setup.
    A little bit louder and a little bit worse.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Platner View Post
    I recently purchased a 1972 Selmer MK VI soprano saxophone and I would like to ask my teacher to play it and evaluate it mechanically. Is there anything wrong in asking someone else to play one's instrument using there own MPC, ligature and reed?

Thanks
    No, in fact that's a good call. It would also be prudent to have it checked out by a tech - your teacher may blow through minor leaks that could be problematic for you.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buddy lee View Post
    Not if you're ok with it. What would your concerns be?
    I am concerned that I might be overlooking a hygiene problem that I am unaware of. Just didn't want to make a mistake. Judging from the responses I have received it's ok to have a person play your horn using there own MPC etc. Thanks for all the responses!

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, but come back and let us know when you're having trouble with the upper palm key notes.

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No problem whatsoever to have your teacher check out the horn. There are no hygiene issues in any case, esp if they use their own mpc. And when you take the horn to your tech to get it checked out (which you should do) and worked on if necessary, they will obviously be playing the horn to test their work.

The only real issue having someone else play your horn has to do with how carefully they handle it; you don't want them dropping it or damaging it in any way. The drunk that comes stumbling up to the bandstand asking me to let him try my horn isn't going to get near it (even if he pulls out his own mpc)!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am concerned that I might be overlooking a hygiene problem that I am unaware of. Just didn't want to make a mistake. Judging from the responses I have received it's ok to have a person play your horn using there own MPC etc. Thanks for all the responses!
    When you take your sax to a tech for some work, the shop guy generally will play-test it before deeming the work complete. In fact, if the shop doesn't do that, you may be the recipient of substandard work! So it's probably never the case that your horn will be 100 percent faithful to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    Just don't drink the saxophone water afterwards.........
    It's not the length of the song that matters, it's the width.

Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008 martysax's Avatar
    Boston (pronounced: Bahsten), Massachusetts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumps View Post
    No, but come back and let us know when you're having trouble with the upper palm key notes.
    Yea, I want to check that out too!
    Just two questions: Where's the Bar located relative to the stage, and does the band get a discount?

Songs I recorded with The Cyclones

Check out my new informative site!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumps View Post
    If you play the appropriate Selmer mouthpiece, you wont have that problem.
    I had a friend tell me he didnt want his son to play a used saxophone because he doesnt know where its been.
    I just thought that I hope his son finds a virgin to marry because he wouldnt want to think where that could have been.

Discombobulated SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZootTheSim View Post
    Anyone who wants to play my horns had better wash their hands and brush their teeth first. And yeah, bring their own reed and mouthpiece--unless, perhaps, it's a teacher who wants to test my setup.
    I suspect your attitude is fussier than most, but I've seen worse. A guy once told me about trying out someone's saxophone and then shortly afterward coming down with severe flu. Using impeccable logic, he determined that the flu was caused by the blow on the strange saxophone. I definitely would not want someone like that to play my horn on the off-chance that they get sick and forever after blame me.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whaler View Post
    If you play the appropriate Selmer mouthpiece, you wont have that problem.
    For decades I played the stock C* that came with the VI soprano. High F and F# (it had the extra key) took some work to voice well consistently, and I'd never had that problem with any other brand of soprano. But after coming here way back when, I was inspired to get a Selmer Metal Classic with a G tip opening and never had the problem again. So I suppose yeah... I found the appropriate Selmer mouthpiece.

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought this was thread about someone playing your horn on a gig. I remember doing a gig and the band leader approach me and said Lennie Baker is here in the audience. Can he play your sax on a tune? My first response was "No" but then I said "Who is Lennie Baker?" He responded "Shanana" to which I responded "What?" He insisted so I thought I might lose my gig if I was stubborn so I let Lennie Baker play my sax with the mouthpiece and reed. After his song I left the band and washed out the mouthpiece with soap and water and got a new reed. That's my one and only story about someone playing my sax. Other than that......it's not happening unless you got your mouthpiece and reed ready to go........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When buying a sax, I try to get my teacher to come along and try it out, since I value his opinion (quite) a bit over my own. With his own mouthpiece, of course.

But when he has, in the past, borrowed a sax from me for gigs while his was in the shop, I lend him my sax but with some hesitation as I don't think he keeps his sax as clean as I keep mine. But still have loaned him a tenor, alto and sop, at different times.

Since you only blow out through a sax, and not in, I don't get concerned about any health issues re loaning a sax, but for general cleanliness, dryness and overall state of the horn I'd prefer it be swabbed out shortly after each use. And brushing teeth first is probably better than playing with a mouth full of crumbs and beer, but gigs will be gigs . . . . If it were anyone other than my teacher, I'd probably say no to any requests to borrow.
    Tenor: Yamaha YTS-82z, with V1 Sterling Silver Neck; Yanagisawa T901
    Alto: Yanagisawa A901; Buescher Aristocrat Series 1 (1939~40)
    Soprano: Buescher True-Tone (1924)

Forum Contributor 2015-2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. Some folks must have trouble going to any kind of public places.

Restaurants seats, door handles, hand rails, etc.

Having somebody touch the sax keys should be the least of your worries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    No problem whatsoever to have your teacher check out the horn. There are no hygiene issues in any case, esp if they use their own mpc. And when you take the horn to your tech to get it checked out (which you should do) and worked on if necessary, they will obviously be playing the horn to test their work.

The only real issue having someone else play your horn has to do with how carefully they handle it; you don't want them dropping it or damaging it in any way. The drunk that comes stumbling up to the bandstand asking me to let him try my horn isn't going to get near it (even if he pulls out his own mpc)!
    I agree. In fact there was an instance when I even asked one of the sax players during a jamming session to try my soprano using his own mpc as I want to hear how the horn sounds when it is played by other player.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we have had periodical hygiene concerns in many other threads before varying from mild concerns to overtly maniacal.

There are no problems in sharing a saxophone and the problems given my sharing the same mouthpiece are no more or less serious (in theory it is) than sharing a kiss with a beautiful lady (or gentleman depending on your gender or inclinations).

Yet some people will make a fuss about sharing even a well rinsed mouthpiece while wouldnt have any trouble in sharing all kinds of other effusions.

read about hygiene, it goes anywhere to bottom and round the topic.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/gtsear...=1170j561426j4
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some dont. Those who have the cherries arent likely to share them though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast